What ph meter to use?

• Thread starter Indoortooutdoor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Indoortooutdoor

Indoortooutdoor

Hey everyone
I grew indoors for years, both hydro and pro mix. I bought a new Hanna
HI9813 back in 2004-5. It’s been great. Stopped growing indoors 3 years ago when I sold our house and bought another in the country. Now I’m tired of paying for it when I can grow.
So, I went to use my meter and the probe not working properly. Pete from Hanna says I cannot get that probe for my unit any longer.

What ph meter is everyone using?

I did order a HM ph80 for only $35. Did I go wrong? Will it last the season?

Pilted

Pilted

I have only tried two, the yellow one gave accurate readings but went to crap quickly, didn't make it through first grow, black one reads much more stable and has lasted 2 and 1/3rd grows. Both under 20 on Amazon.

Indoortooutdoor

Indoortooutdoor

Unfortunately I bought a $7 one on Amazon for a quick replacement while looking for a probe, that I can’t buy now.
I calibrated it and put into my well water and it said 8.1. It runs 7.1-2. I bought fresh 7.0 buffer and it read 3.7 when I put into the buffer.
Hoping this hm ph80 will work well.
Will keep the vivosun in mind.
Thanks

Indoortooutdoor

Indoortooutdoor

Used for years with great accuracy. But now I don’t pay attention to ppm since I’ve used the same food for years. FF.

Pilted

Pilted

Did it loose it's accuracy or completely break? I just got the yellow one month ago. Rather it break than inaccurate.
It started reading off within a few months and had to test multiple times to get a good reading, then it just broke completely and wouldn't turn on anymore about a month after that.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

a brand new hanna HI98129, PH/EC/TEMP pen combo will do the trick, if taken care lasts 5-7 years.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I have never used my ph pen for my outdoor plants. Then again I grow organically I don't think it would matter.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I use and always recommend the Bluelab pH and EC pens. The "Grower's Toolbox" is usually a good deal if you need both pens. If taken care of properly they will last you a lifetime. Just keep in mind Bluelab's pH pens should A) never be allowed to dry out, and if they do, always rehydrate them with some KCL solution (you can buy the General Hydroponics versions of their calibration solution it's a little cheaper and does the job) and B) Never use Bluelab pH pen in pure RO water. Pure (0 ppm) RO water should always be pH 7.0 so no need to use it in the first place, but just make sure you add nutrients to the RO water before you stick your pH pen in it. Reason being, Bluelab states using pure RO water changes the chemistry of the probe and can ruin it.

Other than that yeah they're pricey but they're always accurate and as long as you treat them with the respect their price tag demands, they will never let you down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom