What should a Drying Tent smell like?

• Thread starter Budclarkson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budclarkson

I only have a small CBD plant and one branch of OG Kush in a small 2x3 Tent with ventilation.

Opening the dry tent checking in today it does not smell like the flowering tent. Didn’t seem right to me. Plants been hanging in there since Sat 5-days.

Temp/RH is 70F/50%. I turned the humidifier back on today and set to 57% RH.
The OG branch bends and is not ready to snap.

What smell should I be looking for?
Temp and humidity ok?

B

Budclarkson

CBD plant 6 days hang dry:

15922E06 5D0B 4D49 B696 C27829476560
77D59763 2775 4976 B8FE 72A3C7E85DB7

Kush branch 5 days drying:
4074FE0C 077A 4E77 AFB1 622D0ACFB0F0

B

Budclarkson

Kush Top cut and hung last night @ 8.5 weeks of Flower.

Seems to loose the nice strong smell the next day after harvesting 😔

Sound right?

E9DCA562 505A 48E3 A8C5 1AD1C1EC91AE

AA81CCFD C9F4 4F96 AF53 812F2317A200

67C2D5D5 C1AD 413B 92B2 BC086623A0EA

B

Budclarkson

I guess it’s the fresh cut hayish smell.
Maybe too many leaves left on the CBD plant?

Man there are a lot of varying views on drying g temp/humidity. Some 70-80F others 60F? RH too.

High times has this:
The ideal temperature for a drying room is between 65 – 75 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity between 45 – 55 percent in a dark room. Within 6 – 10 days your branches should snap instead of bending and the buds should feel popcorn dry on the outside. This is the time to cut the individual buds from the branches and put them into glass jars to begin the curing process.

My tent has been low 70s with 50%RH for the first few days. Got the humidifier going and it’s 55-58% RH now.

Good?
When would one emptoy the paper bag method?

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I guess it’s the fresh cut hayish smell.
Maybe too many leaves left on the CBD plant?

Man there are a lot of varying views on drying g temp/humidity. Some 70-80F others 60F? RH too.

High times has this:

My tent has been low 70s with 50%RH for the first few days. Got the humidifier going and it’s 55-58% RH now.

Good?
When would one emptoy the paper bag method?
Hey boss, sorry for the delay I missed this.

Drying/curing is probably one of the hardest things to nail down for a perfect successful grow. Depending how you harvest will also take in effect on what you're smelling in the tent.

Here is my process:
When harvesting, I will either whole plant hang if able, or I will cut each branch off individually.
I will ONLY remove large fan leaves and leave any sugar fan leaves ON the plant.
I DO NOT wet trim any of my plants - This will also give you a hay smell (like mowing your grass)
Slow and steady is what you want in your drying, and low temps and steady humidity help with this.
I strive for 60f, 55% humidity for the first 24 hours.
I will then adjust to 60f, 60% humidity for 6 days
I will check them with the moisture meter on soft wood setting and I will know it's ready when it gets to 14% moisture
I will then move them to my tub for 1 day of storage to trim them the next day
I will store them in jars or grove bags, whichever I have available at the time.

During the drying process,
I will check on them once or twice a day to open the tent just to get some fresh air exchange
I do not smell any kind of "hay" smell and will smell the plant going through it's curing process which can smell different depending on the strain.
I check for the stems to not fully snap, but hear a crack, this is depending on user and preference but I don't prefer a full snap

I have oscillating fans at the bottom at medium settings but air flow never directly hitting the plants. Just enough air movement to get the plants slowly moving on their own. Exhaust air is also important to ensure proper air flow to get rid of stale air.

Edit: added some pics

Hope this helps!

237B721C F5C6 40DD 8843 8CCE0737135C
D4E00BEB 0533 4337 A002 0747534A037B
Last edited:
B

Budclarkson

Hey boss, sorry for the delay I missed this.

Drying/curing is probably one of the hardest things to nail down for a perfect successful grow. Depending how you harvest will also take in effect on what you're smelling in the tent.

Here is my process:
When harvesting, I will either whole plant hang if able, or I will cut each branch off individually.
I will ONLY remove large fan leaves and leave any sugar fan leaves ON the plant.
I DO NOT wet trim any of my plants - This will also give you a hay smell (like mowing your grass)
Slow and steady is what you want in your drying, and low temps and steady humidity help with this.
I strive for 60f, 55% humidity for the first 24 hours.
I will then adjust to 60f, 60% humidity for 6 days
I will check them with the moisture meter on soft wood setting and I will know it's ready when it gets to 14% moisture
I will then move them to my tub for 1 day of storage to trim them the next day
I will store them in jars or grove bags, whichever I have available at the time.

During the drying process,
I will check on them once or twice a day to open the tent just to get some fresh air exchange
I do not smell any kind of "hay" smell and will smell the plant going through it's curing process which can smell different depending on the strain.
I check for the stems to not fully snap, but hear a crack, this is depending on user and preference but I don't prefer a full snap

I have oscillating fans at the bottom at medium settings but air flow never directly hitting the plants. Just enough air movement to get the plants slowly moving on their own. Exhaust air is also important to ensure proper air flow to get rid of stale air.

Edit: added some pics

Hope this helps!

Isnt that ACI controller great?
I have 2, one for the Grow tent and one for the Dry tent.

I have to connect up the portable AC to get the tent area down to low 60’s now it’s warmed up outdoors.

The hay smell is gone. I may have left too many leaves on the CBD plant.

The 1st Kush branch when bending last night snapped and clean break but still connected on the opposite side of the break. Going to cut the buds off that and Grove bag. Maybe try cut one up ant try a smoke.

All I have is a coffe grinder I never used. Any other way to chop a fresh bud for smoking?

B

Budclarkson

The partial break on the Kush branch happened near the end of the stem and was larger hollow center.

Yeaterday trying in other places it was just bending. So I haven’t grove bagged the buds yet.

Will try again today at Day 9 of drying.

B

Budclarkson

Kush branch dry trimmed at Day 11 drying.
CBD/hemp dry trimmed at Day 12 drying.
Now in Grove bags. Smells good.

Rest of the Kush is chopped and hanging.
Seems like I get a hay smell shortly after new plants hung to dry. Humidifier running out of H20 at the same time may be a factor?

Do you guys save the trimmings for smoke or edibles? How do you store it.

Threw them in a paper bag and back in the dry tent.

IndoJoe

IndoJoe

Not trying to hijack your thread. Figured a good place to ask. Are boveda packs ok to add to the Grove bags? My understanding is, you also have to store the bags in 60 to 62 % humidity while they do their thing. Boveda pack seems like it would eliminate the possible human error.

Top Bottom