what size HID?

• Thread starter toaster51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

toaster51

I have a new, small grow room about 4.5 x 5 feet and just under 7 feet tall. My 400 galaxy ballast is top notch, but too small for the room. From friends I have access to both a 600 and 1000 watt (magnetic coil) setup. I'm tempted to try the 1000 but am concerned that I won't have enough vertical height to keep from burning my babies. I've read that you need 4' between plant tops and the light is this really true? Given the need to leave adequate space between the light and ceiling I would only have enough about 12 -16" for growth? Most grow room setups I see don't have 10' celings so what's the deal? What would be the best system for my grow space?

G

greenthumb

a 600w would be adequate for your space plus its more efficient than a 1000w they produce more lumens per watt/less heat/cheaper to run if you want to get a couple of cfl125w too they have been shown through testing to help with yeald because you can have them hanging down so the bottom branches can get more light to them

T

twisted metal

The distance from the plant to light depends on what wattage light your using, and are you cooling the hoods, do the hoods have glass? There are a lot of different factors, me I would go with a 600watt less heat.

Me personally i love light rails for the fact that you dont have to cool your hoods, and can keep the light closer to the plants i go for about 16-18 inches with a 600watter. Ceiling height of 7ft as you have is fine,very few people have more than 8ft ceilings in a typical home.

D

Dr Herbal

if you can only run one light go for the 1000w but id spend the extra cash and go for 2 x 600w far better lights you can uses on for veg(the 1000w will fry ya babies) and the first couple wks of flower then wack the other one on to they will really love you for it
or if ne light is a must try using a light mover :)
Dr H

B

Budhog

if you can only run one light go for the 1000w but id spend the extra cash and go for 2 x 600w far better lights you can uses on for veg(the 1000w will fry ya babies) and the first couple wks of flower then wack the other one on to they will really love you for it
or if ne light is a must try using a light mover :)
Dr H

Hi Dr H. What is the minimum size before it is safe to put them under 1000 watters?

Latest posts

Top Bottom