what stage of flower now?

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Here are some pics of my plants at the end of 5 weeks since flipping the lights. This strain is Sour Diesel from PSB seeds.

The reason I ask is to know where to go with my nute charts. I'm using a GH chart which gives an 8 week flower schedule, and I am at the point of changing nutes to 'late bloom' at week 6.

But Sour Diesel is supposed to have an 11 week flower period.

So my question is if I have more like 6 weeks to go or 3 with these buds? And when to change to late bloom nutes?
20220324_101255.jpg

What stage of flower now 2
What stage of flower now 3
steamroller

steamroller

I use Fox Farms and their schedule says to continue with week 12 until complete .

I am week 5 -6 and I am on last of the 3 bud ferts .

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Well, that is a different chart than I'm using, but mostly the same. I'm talking about weeks of flower, not total lifetime. My chart has weeks 1-4 for veg, then weeks 1-9 for flower, for 11 total. Yours just has different labels, but I like them better. (I have no Transition week, for instance),

Anyway, figure up I may have to 3 add extra weeks in flower, if what I've read about Sour Diesel is true. My question is if I start on Late Bloom now, or wait another week. The nutes drop considerably at Late Bloom. If I go to Late Bloom nutes now, and they go another 5 weeks before flush...

I mean, what's the difference between Mid and Late Bloom anyway?

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I use Fox Farms and their schedule says to continue with week 12 until complete .
View attachment 1229302
I am week 5 -6 and I am on last of the 3 bud ferts .
The point isn't reading a chart for an 8-week flower schedule, but how to amend it for a strain that has an 11-week flower schedule. That is, it is expected to live for 15 weeks before harvest. 16 in my case since I let them veg 5 weeks.

I stretched early bloom nutes by a week, and now I'm stretching mid bloom by a week. Wish I could judge the buds by looking at them.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Well, that is a different chart than I'm using, but mostly the same. I'm talking about weeks of flower, not total lifetime. My chart has weeks 1-4 for veg, then weeks 1-9 for flower, for 11 total. Yours just has different labels, but I like them better. (I have no Transition week, for instance),

Anyway, figure up I may have to 3 add extra weeks in flower, if what I've read about Sour Diesel is true. My question is if I start on Late Bloom now, or wait another week. The nutes drop considerably at Late Bloom. If I go to Late Bloom nutes now, and they go another 5 weeks before flush...

I’m not a good spainer! Lol but the plant requires different levels of the Npk at each stage to bring the plant to optimum potential @tobh if you ck in here would quickly explain when to cut the nitro and add p and k ect. ?

Kungpow420

Kungpow420

If you already started mid bloom just do one more cycle of mid bloom, and then just add and extra cycle to late bloom.
Or you can do it a little different and do 2 mid bloom and keep late bloom the same as the chart.

Moshmen

Moshmen

The point isn't reading a chart for an 8-week flower schedule, but how to amend it for a strain that has an 11-week flower schedule. That is, it is expected to live for 15 weeks before harvest. 16 in my case since I let them veg 5 weeks.

I stretched early bloom nutes by a week, and now I'm stretching mid bloom by a week. Wish I could judge the buds by looking at them.
Get rid of the chart ! It’s for starting point only

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

If you already started mid bloom just do one more cycle of mid bloom, and then just add and extra cycle to late bloom.
Or you can do it a little different and do 2 mid bloom and keep late bloom the same as the chart.
But the problem is .... the same problem I have ditching the charts - I don't know what to do. What if this is just some nameless seed that got slapped with a Sour Diesel label? Lots of sites say you can only get Sour Diesel from a clone, so something happened somewhere in the genetics to get me seeds. What if this is just a garden-variety flowers-in-8-weeks-thank-you-very-much strain? If so, I should be reducing nutes now, or even last week.

So I don't know at what point you look at a bud and say it's in the late stage, time to change the nutes. Right now I have lots of new pistils coming out, especially on the edge branches which seem slightly behind the more central ones.

CannaDana

CannaDana

I'm telling you, this ain't no 8-week flower. You're going to have to add on a good three weeks. Your buds do not look like five weeks of an eight week cycle. They look more like four weeks, meaning that you need to extend everything by 20%.

I'm not going to get into nute charts and stuff. But I'd treat those plants like they are in Week 4 of flower for a regular 8-9 week cycle. I'd say that they are about to enter mid-flower, but have not, yet.

Hope that's helpful. I'm not technical about this. I just try to find the plants' rhythm and work with that, and from the looks of them they are near the end of early flower.

Anyone disagree with that assessment?

Caveat: I ain't no expert. I'm just an old lady who likes growing weed.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
You're in mid bloom, you dont have to change anything. Some people like to give a PK boost after stretch. Cutting N is optional and if you decide to drop N a bit, don't do it until later in flower.

The charts in the beginning of this thread are a great guide

Xhale

Xhale

What if this is just some nameless seed that got slapped with a Sour Diesel label?
She does look like Sour Diesel. I'd continue on the belief that she is "very similar" to Sour D if not 100%. the rest of your questions...I know nothing about these charts and never wish to know about them:)

this ain't no 8-week flower. You're going to have to add on a good three weeks
+1 I agree. Maybe even up to 14or15 weeks total. watch the pistils and trichomes for guidance as you get closer to time.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I'm telling you, this ain't no 8-week flower. You're going to have to add on a good three weeks. Your buds do not look like five weeks of an eight week cycle. They look more like four weeks, meaning that you need to extend everything by 20%.

I'm not going to get into nute charts and stuff. But I'd treat those plants like they are in Week 4 of flower for a regular 8-9 week cycle. I'd say that they are about to enter mid-flower, but have not, yet.

Hope that's helpful. I'm not technical about this. I just try to find the plants' rhythm and work with that, and from the looks of them they are near the end of early flower.

It's helpful. I've been extending mid flower nutes instead of reducing for late. I didn't give much time for early flower.

Buds are fun to watch grow, day to day.

I felt like 4 weeks to go, at least.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

What's the visual difference in determining new, mid and old stages? And do you talk about flowering starting from when one flips the lights, or when the first bud signs appear? These buds have only started being buds about 2 weeks ago. Before that it was massive stretch and fan leaves.

Perhaps that is another sign of the end of some flower stage? There are no new fan leaves growing now, just sugar leaves. In the past few days I no longer see that distinctive yellow-green of new vegetative growth. All the leaves are nicely green now, so I'm definitely in a certain stage, which I assume is mid-bloom. Sure would be nice to have some rules-of-thumb laid out for these flowering signs relating to stages of growth. That is, stages of growth that require a different mix of nutes. My task is still to determine at what point the last stage begins and I change nutes again.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I look at it like this. transition(stretch)/Early flower is when your buds looks like little round hair balls and some new fan leaves may appear, mid flower is when buds start to take shape but with lots of white pistils and maybe a some orange, calyxes start to swell and stack, buds starting to fill out no more new fan leaves, late flower flower is when buds look like the buds we love, colors start to change, pistils start to change color, calyxes are still swelling up but not stacking as much as in mid flower.

You really dont need to change nutrients as long as you're using a good balanced formula. A lot of people (myself included) use the same base nutrients all the way through and use a PK booster at their discretion and according to their own grow style. You can make things as simple or as complicated as you want and you'll still get great buds. If you look at the charts i linked earlier, they basically tell the story.

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

I look at it like this. transistion(stretch)/Early flower is when your buds looks like little round hair balls and some new fan leaves may appear, mid flower is when buds start to take shape but with lots of white pistils and maybe a some orange, calyxes start to swell and stack, buds sytarting to fill out no more new fan leaves, late flower flower is when buds look like the buds we love, colors start to change, pistils start to change color, calyxes are still swelling up but not stacking as much as in mid flower.

You really dont need to change nutrients as long as you're using a good balanced formula. A lot of people (myself included) use the same base nutrients all the way through and use a PK booster at their discretion and according to their own grow style. You can make things as simple or as complicated as you want and you'll still get great buds. If you look at the charts i linked earlier, they basically tell the story
I too run pure blend pro grow the whole cycle only adding pk when needed

CannaDana

CannaDana

I look at it like this. transistion(stretch)/Early flower is when your buds looks like little round hair balls and some new fan leaves may appear, mid flower is when buds start to take shape but with lots of white pistils and maybe a some orange, calyxes start to swell and stack, buds sytarting to fill out no more new fan leaves, late flower flower is when buds look like the buds we love, colors start to change, pistils start to change color, calyxes are still swelling up but not stacking as much as in mid flower.

You really dont need to change nutrients as long as you're using a good balanced formula. A lot of people (myself included) use the same base nutrients all the way through and use a PK booster at their discretion and according to their own grow style. You can make things as simple or as complicated as you want and you'll still get great buds. If you look at the charts i linked earlier, they basically tell the story.
I agree with every word of this post (except the misspelled words).

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I've always wondered about that graphic. It goes against against a lot of other fertilizer regimens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom