What The ??? … What is this black magic?

• Thread starter NeverNice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NeverNice

Ok, got a weird situation that I am stumped on. Basically, it looks like the top of the plant is nutrient deficient, but the bottom half looks fine. New growth on top is pale and wonky, new growth on bottom branches are healthy and look fine imo. Don’t notice any stem or branch injuries that would perhaps affect the top of the plant. Some fan leaves also turn upside down too. Pictures should explain the situation. One whole plant pic, then a close up of top, and a close up of a healthy branch. This plant hasn’t been a great performer since this started occurring.

Background:
This is an outdoor grow. Blue OG indica. Silty soil but heavily amended: Compost, worm castings, gaia green and bloom fertilizers, compost tea, DE, some iron foliar, etc. but all used in moderation. Plants around this one are fine too. No other plant exhibits this.

So, what is this dark magic I’m seeing? I’m stumped.

What the   what is this black magic
What the   what is this black magic 2
What the   what is this black magic 3
Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I’ve read about it. It’s a serious bummer that stuff.
oh ya, it gets transferred to seed also.. literally ever grow facility in california has it or had it and they are a major contributors to breeding worldwide.. sooo many breeders probably didn’t realize it and now it’s everywhere..
i’m 90% sure i just had it with the imperium x

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
oh ya, it gets transferred to seed also.. literally ever grow facility in california has it or had it and they are a major contributors to breeding worldwide.. sooo many breeders probably didn’t realize it and now it’s everywhere..
It’s mind blowing how late it hits too, you are in the dark until late flower on whether or not you have it. When I read 90% of cali crops were affected, I knew it was only a matter of time before us smaller growers run into it.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
It’s mind blowing how late it hits too, you are in the dark until late flower on whether or not you have it. When I read 90% of cali crops were affected, I knew it was only a matter of time before us smaller growers run into it.
I’ve got to do better to train my eye to it for sure.

N

NeverNice

Read up on this. In your opinion, should I pull this little girl asap?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
This looks like heat or light stress to me. I've used garden shade cloth. It helps but it can be hard to hang over a plant.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I’ve got to do better to train my eye to it for sure.
The only problem is HLV'd exhibits many of the same symptoms as other diseases and deficiencies. Most cultivators will just chalk it up to that.
The only way to diagnose HLV'd is by PCR or LAMP test, which aren't cheap or readily available...

I'm going to lean towards root issues on this one, though. Usually when I see plants with healthy parts and unhealthy parts, 99% of the time it's something in the roots. Being outdoors, this is certainly possible. May want to aerate that soil a little bit around the plant before doing anything else.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
The only problem is HLV'd exhibits many of the same symptoms as other diseases and deficiencies. Most cultivators will just chalk it up to that.
The only way to diagnose HLV'd is by PCR or LAMP test, which aren't cheap or readily available...

I'm going to lean towards root issues on this one, though. Usually when I see plants with healthy parts and unhealthy parts, 99% of the time it's something in the roots. Being outdoors, this is certainly possible. May want to aerate that soil a little bit around the plant before doing anything else.
Probing around the root ball and turning over the top soil will definitely help. I wouldn’t doubt root issues either. It’s not happy for sure.

Top Bottom