What the hell are these? Eggs?

• Thread starter chranotik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chranotik

Hello, i've recently been running into problems running in soil. I was using roots organic but switched over to sunshine mix advanced rain forest because of all the bug issues people have been complaining about. I had cuts that were transplanting into cups with roots and then into 2 gals with the rain forest and they've been having nothing but issues, huge stunted growth and leave damage all around. But when i was transplanting most of them i noticed little white eggs or what appears to be eggs in the soil. The other day i was transplanting some seedlings i had and i also saw the same thing so i took a couple photos. I'll post the photos of the eggs first, and then i'll take pics of the sick cuttings that are in the 2 gals. I already watered the 2 gals heavily with some bayers fruit/vegetable/citrus hoping to kill any bugs if there are any. So here's the eggs pics...
What the hell are these eggs

What the hell are these eggs 2

Reactions: mal
M

mishalala

It looks like they're encased in some sort of film or webbing....is that the case or are my eyes playing tricks on me? were they on the surface of the soil, or buried? scattered evenly or clustered? is the soil very moist or dry? Where are you located? since no one else is responding, you might want to take the time to read the "Read me first" posting at the start of the Infirmary Forum...

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

I had it in coco and in soil...and I have a feeling I got it from root aphids or at least was transferred by them.

here is a pic....it got pretty epic in coco.
Attachment 1
Attachment

C

chranotik

Yep that's exactly what i have. What did you use to get rid of it? Like perhaps peroxide, or a fungicide?

symbiote420

symbiote420

Fungus in the medium is usually a good sign....do you see any pest crawling/flying around? If no, you're good! I switched out of coir because I know it was the cause of my constant root aphids problems then, I haven't had em since....just me $0.02.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
ive seen that stuff in roots organic soil,,but it was yellow..

C

chranotik

Yeah this stuff is no good, i figured out it's been causing root rot on a lot of my plants. I had one plant completely die but i never looked at the soil to try to figure out why until today, and here's how it looked:
DSCN4292

So as you can see it's not a good thing. I think im going to look into either trying peroxide and then re-innoculating, or actinovate (fungicide). When i pulled the stem out of the top of that soil there was no root structure holding it in anymore, the rootball was completely gone. So if any of you have any other suggestions for treating this problem please post it up. I'd appreciate it.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Every mix I've bought with coir added had either a white, green, or yellow growth on/in it......SAM #4, RO, I will personally go on record and say that that Rain Forest mix is gar-bage, it's the bag that made me draw the line with coir......when I got a bag with growth I would spread the bag out thin over a tarp for a couple days and it would just go away, plus I started using Smart Pot type containers as well, hate to see you lost some plants homie....that sux!

M

mishalala

Wow. Awful....I've passed the pics onto an associate who is a world-renowned horticulturist- I'm sure I've seen them in his greenhouse, which is high humidity because he grows staghorn ferns and orchids. I'm sure he'll be able to ID them. He frequently drenches his plants--I'll find out what he uses....but I wonder about the connection with coir because he doesn't use it.
Could these fungi be responsible for damping-off?

M

mishalala

Here is the reply I got from my friend the horticulturist (keep in mind, he deals with ferns, so spore and sporlings are equivalent to clones, seedlings, etc...anything being repotted into soil):
I can't say that I have this problem, but I could have had it in the past, and it is now not a problem for any number of reasons. One reason could be the stuff I put in my fertilizer and spray on my spore when I put it down. I have found that a sanitizing product used in commercial kitchens and in bars to sanitize glasses helps keep down problems with fungus. It disinfects and doesn't seem to hurt my plants. I get it at Smart and Final, and it's name is First Street Sanitizer Rinse. I also always use Clorox at a 10:1 ratio to clean containers, pots etc. Also, I never trust the potting mix, regardless of the brand or claims that it is "clean" when I put down spore or repot sporlings. I either microwave the wet mix for 10 or so minutes or pour boiling water over the mix, and then soak it with some Clorox and sanitizer rinse. I think the combination kills off most of the microorganisms, bacteria, and fungus.
Hope this helps....

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
We've stumped two PhD's with this one, I showed this thread to them since I have a yellow variety in a couple cups. Gonna peroxide the shit and reapply some tea... Up til now it's all they've gotten so hopefully the tea isn't harboring something gnarly. More than likely it could have been in the soil... Who knows really

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

Sclerotium root rot.

This only showed up when I had root aphids for what its worth. Haven't seen it since.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Weird... It would be unfortunate if it is from root aphids, it would have had to come from the soil I purchased... New seed, new lab, new gear... Don't see any evidence in mine of aphids, but I guess I'll keep my eye open for them too now

C

chranotik

Sclerotium root rot.

This only showed up when I had root aphids for what its worth. Haven't seen it since.

Yes that appears to be what the issue is and i still have the problem, and i think its stem rot as well.. it appears i have the bumps on the bottom of the stems and it seems it's related to southern blight? Do you know how to remedy it or do any of you know any solutions or cures for this? I've been doing lots of googling and can't find any fungicides or remedies.. Some threads recommend trying cornmeal or whatever. But i'm getting desperate and ive been vegging 2-3 months and i'd really love to save this crop before this disease gets worse. Let me know..

S

swisscheese

Yes that appears to be what the issue is and i still have the problem, and i think its stem rot as well.. it appears i have the bumps on the bottom of the stems and it seems it's related to southern blight? Do you know how to remedy it or do any of you know any solutions or cures for this? I've been doing lots of googling and can't find any fungicides or remedies.. Some threads recommend trying cornmeal or whatever. But i'm getting desperate and ive been vegging 2-3 months and i'd really love to save this crop before this disease gets worse. Let me know..
Can you post a pic of the bumps on the bottom of your stems?

C

chranotik

Here's a pic of the rootball showing some of the fungus/spores sclerotoria and the bumps above it on stem:
DSCN4312

and here's some of the recently transplanted seedlings that are showing sickness:

DSCN4307

DSCN4303

DSCN4305

DSCN4306

Only options i have at the moment is to either use peroxide on these, or feed normally with sensi grow, voodoo juice, innoculate with great white, and i also have Actinovate which is a fungicide although im not sure if it's meant for this disease.

S

swisscheese

I've had the bumpy stems like that before but never the egg like fungus in my coco like that. I will have to examine my plants more closely and see if I find any. There always seems to be a new cannabis disease or pest each year it's crazy stuff.

C

chranotik

i dont use coco i was using roots organic soil but now im using sunshine advanced rain forest and me wiping everything out and starting again isnt really an option since ive already lost 2+ months of time and im running pretty expensive beans. Here's another pic of the same fungal disease i found while googling:

5449631325 fa65046bfd o

S

swisscheese

Your whole grow area is probably covered in spores now I've honestly never seen that before. Hopefully you can figure it out before it becomes a tear down and start fresh situation. Have you gave capulators beneficials a shot? If I were you I would get him in here for some input.

Top Bottom