what to do?

• Thread starter loolagigi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

loolagigi

hey everyone. i have been growing for a few years with dwc 5 gallon buckets. each bucket was its own res. i have had great results, but everytime i fight root rot during veg. i explained this to my hydro store guy and he recomended a top feed method utilizing my 5 gallon buckets and 10" net pots. thats sounds fine and all, but i was wondering if this would work to help with the occasional root rot and still give me large plants.

i have a 5x5x8' tall flower room. i use 2-400 watt hps bulbs in there. i was thinking i could raise my 5 gallon buckets off the ground. use a tote with airstones/water pump to house my nutrients, and use a water pump on a timer to "flood and drain" my 4 buckets. each bucket would also have a over flow line where the water height limit will be. this line will drain with gravity back into the res. also, once the pump turns off the water will return to the res emptying the bucket. i will use a 10" net pot in each bucket with hydroton. the clones or seedlings will be in a 1.5x1.5 rockwool cube. once big enough it will be placed into the net pots with hydroton sorrounding.

will this work? will i lose yield? will it help with root rot since the roots are not suspended in water 24/7? thanks Loola

sky high

sky high

I would be looking at my water/room temps if you are consistently having issues.

s h

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

sounds like a diy cap ebb and grow with bigger buckets and gravity to drain. i doubt this will help with your root issue that is related to nute temp and changing to ebb and flow is not going to change the temp. i'd look at converting it to rdwc and adding a chiller and your issue will be solved.

L

loolagigi

sounds like a diy cap ebb and grow with bigger buckets and gravity to drain. i doubt this will help with your root issue that is related to nute temp and changing to ebb and flow is not going to change the temp. i'd look at converting it to rdwc and adding a chiller and your issue will be solved.

thanks everyone. i was looking at chillers. in my veg room i have 4-5 gallon buckets, and in my flower room the same. i see there are small chillers that chill 12 gallons 10 degreed cooler for about 100 bucks a pop. would these work? 1 for my veg room res, and one for my flower room res?

Top Bottom