What to feed while creating living soil?

• Thread starter TrpX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrpX

TrpX

First time grower, looking to build a living soil that I can reuse. The issue is that the plants are 22 days old and in a FFOF/Peat/pumice combo, and all I know is that I don’t want to kill my soil as I start to feed my plants and eventually soil.

What do I feed my plants while I work towards a living soil? My plan is to put together a mix of I can find good compost. I have silica, Epsom, cal mag and some worm castings so far. I also tossed some coffee grounds top as an amendment. What and how often do I feed? Help a growmie out! TIA!

What to feed while creating living soil
What to feed while creating living soil 2
What to feed while creating living soil 3
What to feed while creating living soil 4
P

PahPahCee

Dry Amendments is a good start. You’re running autos in what looks like 5 gallon bags. 5 gallons of soil will keep your plants fed for another couple of weeks if not more. Don’t add anything but water.

Overfeeding an auto will give you poor results. When you do need to feed I would add some dr earth flowergirl at 1-2TBL every two weeks. Throw a handful of worm castings on top of the amendments and keep using tap water only.

TrpX

TrpX

Dry Amendments is a good start. You’re running autos in what looks like 5 gallon bags. 5 gallons of soil will keep your plants fed for another couple of weeks if not more. Don’t add anything but water.

Overfeeding an auto will give you poor results. When you do need to feed I would add some dr earth flowergirl at 1-2TBL every two weeks. Throw a handful of worm castings on top of the amendments and keep using tap water only.
Thank you for the advice! Only one is an auto. Been using RO, but switching to tap. I did have a cal deficiency one early on, so I’m assuming nute lock. Forgot to mention that I cut the soil with Happy frog also, so a bit less food them.

Your advice takes the weight of figuring out what to feed them off of my shoulders. Thanks!

P

PahPahCee

Thank you for the advice! Only one is an auto. Been using RO, but switching to tap. I did have a cal deficiency one early on, so I’m assuming nute lock. Forgot to mention that I cut the soil with Happy frog also, so a bit less food them.

Your advice takes the weight of figuring out what to feed them off of my shoulders. Thanks!
Cal deficiency probably could have been avoided with tap water. My water gives me too much calcium.

With your non autos you can feed them 2 tbl spoons. Increase/decrease base off how they respond. Just remember dry ferts are slowly broken down so they don’t instantly fix anything. You also want to apply them before decencies appear. Epsom salt is great to keep on hand if you see magnesium decencies, use as a foliar for quick results.

I like the dr earth 4-4-4 fert for veg. I recommended the flower girl because by the time your auto is hungry it will be flowering already.

You can also look into Gaia dry amendments, it is popular. Dr earth is just cheaper state side and I like the free beneficials dr earth adds to their mix.

TLOnewbie

TLOnewbie

Do this
You will be fine
I use to overfeeding too

Stokes

Stokes

Toss out all those chemicals and get some sort of dry amendments. Gaia green is a great option, I personally use down to earth either mixed or single ingredient for control.

The biggest thing about organic is keeping your microbe’s healthy. Absolutely everything shuts down if they shut down. You can use castings or some other type of manure based compost to introduce them every so often or you can pick up some type of supplement such as recharge or fish shit.

Dont let your soil dry out too much either. You will find a balance. There are some liquid organic fertilizers out there, foop has been on my radar, i have not used any yet though. Im lazy so i like top dressing every few weeks

TrpX

TrpX

Toss out all those chemicals and get some sort of dry amendments. Gaia green is a great option, I personally use down to earth either mixed or single ingredient for control.

The biggest thing about organic is keeping your microbe’s healthy. Absolutely everything shuts down if they shut down. You can use castings or some other type of manure based compost to introduce them every so often or you can pick up some type of supplement such as recharge or fish shit.

Dont let your soil dry out too much either. You will find a balance. There are some liquid organic fertilizers out there, foop has been on my radar, i have not used any yet though. Im lazy so i like top dressing every few weeks
I don't have any synth chemicals really. I do have the FF trio, but haven't used any of it. I grabbed some Dr. Earth FG as suggested. Had some leaf curl, suggesting overwatering, but it was only the 2nd large watering they've had. Still curled as the soil dried, so i'm thinkin either poor drainage, or it wasn't overwatered. Still haven't fed much other than some cal mag in a weak ration and an epsom sprinkled on top of the soil. Worm castings on topsoil. Oh- I threw some coffee grounds on top as well.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

I personally use a combo of dry amendments and Nectar for the Gods. This allows me to reuse my soil. My outdoor containers have soil that is 5-6 years old.
I even add some worms to my indoor and outdoor pots.

TrpX

TrpX

I personally use a combo of dry amendments and Nectar for the Gods. This allows me to reuse my soil. My outdoor containers have soil that is 5-6 years old.
I even add some worms to my indoor and outdoor pots.
This is my goal. Aside from worm castings and Dr Earth FG, I'm not sure what amendments to add. I'll check out the nectar. Was looking at Gaia, but would like to keep it economical as well. I'm learning about KNF, and will likely make some FFJ and FPJ at least.

TrpX

TrpX

Today’s photos. Topped last week. Tried to tuck leaves and expose new vegetation. My white widow in the back is a lost cause I think.
1B0DB6AA A6CA 4C37 9EED 549EBB3D5232
B8A06674 ADE8 45D3 98D7 F11555118677
534CB051 96C2 402E A818 ABE9813B38AB

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

The first thing you need to do is stop splash watering and water these plants properly. Give the pots a good soaking. Then water once a week when needed. Keep the entire pot or bag moist not wet.

TrpX

TrpX

The first thing you need to do is stop splash watering and water these plants properly. Give the pots a good soaking. Then water once a week when needed. Keep the entire pot or bag moist not wet.
Sounds good to me! I watered really sparingly when they were really young. Too little I think. Then I gave quite a bit of water, and got the curling- suggesting over watering. I really didn't think I overwatered. I'm trying to listen to them- but I'm a noob.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Got ya. Look at the middle picture left side. See the stems limp and bent over. That's what wilting needs a drink looks like. If the stem is straight and the leaves look all hanging down that's more what over watering looks like.. You need to give these bags a god soaking so all the soil is watered. Then let them dry until the top inch or so is dry to the touch. Splash watering just around the plant is not good k.

Maybe check out this link.

Last edited:
TrpX

TrpX

Got ya. Look at the middle picture left side. See the stems limp and bent over. That's what wilting needs a drink looks like. If the stem is straight and the leaves look all hanging down thats more what over watering looks like.. You need to give these bags a god soaking so all the soil is watered. Then let them dry until the top inch or so is dry to the touch. Splash watering just around the plant is not good k.
Thanks for the input. I gave them some water this morning, and then went back to make sure they are soaked. Should be better now. I didn't even know those new growth areas were so wilty until I pulled them up for some light. They were tucked under and hidden. Hopefully with water and light they will spruce up now. Thanks for the advice, again.

P

PahPahCee

I love NFTG but it’s the furtherest thing away from easy and cheap.

All the dry amendment brands listed are great. I personally would buy whichever is cheapest.

KnF is great. I’d suggest LABs and some IMO to start.

TrpX

TrpX

So I have one pot that tested at 8.6. I’m going to do a slurry test to make sure, but any advice to naturally get it in balance? Vinegar? Cal mag? Worm castings? TIA!

Top Bottom