What To Look For In A Warehouse...

• Thread starter Michael_Eaton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Michael_Eaton

Good Day Farmers!

Our Prop. 215 Compliant Collective is looking to expand our grow into a larger commercial/industrial space, and I'd like to solicit some suggestions on what to look for as far as electrical/ gas/ water/...

25,000w HPS - for Bloom is our starting point - Maybe a lil extra for some MH...?

We're expecting to need a few thousand watts for veg (We are currently running [and plan on continuing] a S.O.G. style grow, so veg time/space is minimal)

In addition we will need amps available for a/c...

And of course the extras... (fans, pumps, CO2, etc.)

We use ReadyGro as our medium (soiless, coco based) and drain to waste... I'd hope we can find a unit that simplifies our watering procedures...

I'm also thinking we'd like a unit with a gas line available for a CO2 burner, but I haven't found very many... Suggestions?

We will continue to run a C.G.E....

240v I figured was a must... We will be hiring a professional electrician (so don't worry about my ignorance) but I just want to be sure that we've got the best possible space to work with...

In other words...

What kind of problems are you good folks aware of with Warehouse units? (Security aside)...

Is there some sort of standard for the electrical platform that would make this an easy transition?

Any suggestions on light controllers for this scale of grow? (Or are they all custom at this point?)

Any suggestions on a/c units (that double as dehumidifiers) for this scale?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Cleanliness, security, and square (actually cubic) footage are the top priorities when considering a new place. You probably want to have your electrician give you a rough estimate on the cost of installing the electrical service you require, as well. Some buildings are going to require a lot less labor than others. Be aware of zoning laws, also (that should go without saying, but...). I also like at least a couple hose bibs and a utility sink, along with natural gas hookups (for CO2 production). Floor drains are also key.
My M.O. is to evaluate the requirements of the future garden, and seek a building that would accommodate those needs. There are many different techniques one can use to maximize the potential of a grow space. But if you're set on a certain style, design the building around the grow. Hope this helps; there are others more qualified to answer your electrical questions... Good luck! Peace

M

Michael_Eaton

Thanks AF!

We've got the cleanliness, security, square/cubic footage, and zoning down...

Hose Bibs! - Check

Utility Sink - Check

Floor Drains - Check

We're doing our best to anticipate the needs of this grow (Currently only running 8k HPS in a residential)... So any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

L

Lost

I'm just curious as to why a SOG for a legal grow in a warehouse? Won't that put you over the federal plant limit with a quickness? Not trying to be a smartass, im sure your got it all figured out :)

M

Michael_Eaton

Lost - We will absolutely be over 99 plants (we're already well over that with our current grow)... It's simply no longer a concern with Obama's new federal policy...

We are well within our limits under Prop. 215 - And even those limitations have now been amended as "unconstitutional"...

Our operation is run by the book, and by that I'm refering to the CA Attorney General's guidelines, so the feds are no longer a concern... (Not-for-Profit, 6 mature plants per patient, never cross county lines, etc.)

We prefer the S.O.G style of grow for many reasons:

Overall better quality buds (no more popcorn, all cola)

Ease of trimming (due to the above)

Shortened Veg Cycle and minimal Veg Space

Height limitations are completely alleviated (this leads to overall smaller cubic footage which makes maintaining the C.G.E even easier)

We've also found that the drying process is much more consistent throughout and as a result much easier to manage - Big plants tend to dry out on some of the cola's before the smaller inner buds and that sort of inconsistency...

But no offense was taken! We absolutely appreciate fellow farmers looking out for our well being...

Not to mention, if shit hit the fan, we are structured to avoid any liability (civil or criminal) as individuals...

M

mrdizzle

"Not to mention, if shit hit the fan, we are structured to avoid any liability (civil or criminal) as individuals..." Im guessing you have a lawyer already?

my friend, the feds are always a concern. while the feds dont give a shit about some apartment with 400plants in it, they may about a warehouse with 3000plants

P

pharmaseed

i agree with dizzle what isn't a concern today can become a catastrophe 2 moro. Just because you can beat them in court wont stop them from coming and destroying your crop they could tie you up in court for years .. imo. Wish you the best of luck on your project !!!!!!

O yea make sure there is no mold issues ive seen a few large warehouses with some fungus issues do to the fact that alot of the buildings are older.. Id spray the whole place with teflex or a similar product just to be safe

M

Michael_Eaton

Mr. Dizzle - You speak the truth... Truly words of wisdom, thank you for your input. You'll have to pardon my conceit.

None of us are above the law. All that we can do is manage the risks we take as scrupulously as possible, taking every available precaution along with a "do no harm" attitude.

Our collective is striving to be completely self sufficient so that we can control and guarantee the quality of relief our patients receive, as suggested by the CA Attorney General.

I guess you could also say that we are firm believers in Karma, so as long as we can stand behind our values we are willing to manage these involved risks.

But to answer your question, Mr. Dizzle, one of our founding members is also our Lawyer.

And 99 plants or 3000, we would still be considered "small fish" for our region...

M

Michael_Eaton

Pharmaseed - Wonderful insight!!! I'd hope we would catch a mold problem but you've absolutely brought the issue to the surface!

Thank you!

P

pharmaseed

no prob.. i had a issue once so now i like to spray with concrobium before i get any surprises it kills wuts there and prevents for the future .. like they say its easier to keep up than to catchup and and those spores can hide well.. lol

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I would never do a sog or scrogg in a warehouse....k.b.'s or dwc trees is more efficient and easier to maintain with that much space. Take a look at this thread for some head scratchin' if you haven't seen it yet:

those guys are doing a warehouse proper

Just a little input from a 215 patient.....I have to assume you are in San Francisco or Sonoma county perhaps to feel so safe with massive #'s, even where I am, the powers that be still refer to plant #'s, they are idiots, but even so they could still make your investment turn to shit on a whim if the wrong dickhead decided to prosecute or turn you over to the feds....

I do understand about the limits being unconstitutional, I knew that back in '03, now it is imperative that the doctor updates the script to indicate the patient needs more, otherwise law enforcement still will follow the guidelines set in sb420....especially for those patients with the state program.....one reason I will NEVER get a state card, I have my doctor and that is all the law states is necessary, the state card is a useless umbrella that will fall to pieces when shit starts to fall from the sky

24K lite could equal 60 lbs or more per cycle for your patients if done right with only 20 or 30 plants...just something to consider

Just my input, take it for what it is. good luck in your venture! Rock the sox off it bro!

J

Jalisco Kid

I would never do a sog or scrogg in a warehouse....k.b.'s or dwc trees is more efficient and easier to maintain with that much space. Take a look at this thread for some head scratchin' if you haven't seen it yet:

those guys are doing a warehouse proper

Just a little input from a 215 patient.....I have to assume you are in San Francisco or Sonoma county perhaps to feel so safe with massive #'s, even where I am, the powers that be still refer to plant #'s, they are idiots, but even so they could still make your investment turn to shit on a whim if the wrong dickhead decided to prosecute or turn you over to the feds....

I do understand about the limits being unconstitutional, I knew that back in '03, now it is imperative that the doctor updates the script to indicate the patient needs more, otherwise law enforcement still will follow the guidelines set in sb420....especially for those patients with the state program.....one reason I will NEVER get a state card, I have my doctor and that is all the law states is necessary, the state card is a useless umbrella that will fall to pieces when shit starts to fall from the sky

24K lite could equal 60 lbs or more per cycle for your patients if done right with only 20 or 30 plants...just something to consider

Just my input, take it for what it is. good luck in your venture! Rock the sox off it bro!

What he said,and what the others said about the feds. If your lawyer thinks your just fine with high numbers and you have a family I would go to a good criminal lawyer give him 300 bucks and take a half hour and run it by him.
If you still going for it i would do trees but not like the above post.I would make sure you can check your root system. Those were pretty plants but can go south overnight. JK

B

Boots Sugarleaf

If you still going for it i would do trees but not like the above post.I would make sure you can check your root system. Those were pretty plants but can go south overnight. JK

I agree JK, I won't even run a system that big so close looped yet, and maybe never....I am a huge dwc fan myself, but that thread should give an idea about what can really be done with the space, I maybe should have said check out the dd's tree thread section...is there a tree forum here yet aside from that one?

there should be

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Lost - We will absolutely be over 99 plants (we're already well over that with our current grow)... It's simply no longer a concern with Obama's new federal policy...

We are well within our limits under Prop. 215 - And even those limitations have now been amended as "unconstitutional"...

Our operation is run by the book, and by that I'm refering to the CA Attorney General's guidelines, so the feds are no longer a concern... (Not-for-Profit, 6 mature plants per patient, never cross county lines, etc.)

We prefer the S.O.G style of grow for many reasons:

Overall better quality buds (no more popcorn, all cola)

Ease of trimming (due to the above)

Shortened Veg Cycle and minimal Veg Space

Height limitations are completely alleviated (this leads to overall smaller cubic footage which makes maintaining the C.G.E even easier)

We've also found that the drying process is much more consistent throughout and as a result much easier to manage - Big plants tend to dry out on some of the cola's before the smaller inner buds and that sort of inconsistency...

But no offense was taken! We absolutely appreciate fellow farmers looking out for our well being...

Not to mention, if shit hit the fan, we are structured to avoid any liability (civil or criminal) as individuals...

Hahahahahahahahahaha! you better call the DEA and let them know. They have been raiding people left and right regardless of what the Prez has directed. Best of luck with that defense.

N

noone88

I was going to post a comment since I have some experience with warehouse grows, but OP seems a bit too cocky about this endeavor.

Going from 8k to 25k is not just "triple" the work. If anything, the amount of planning, construction, and crap that always goes wrong goes up exponentially. (I went from 2k->6k->9k->16k->10k (long story)) I had to learn a lot of new things every single time.

And lastly, his questions about 240v gave me the idea that he needs to do a bit more research about taking the plunge.

p.s. trees and vert lighting are your friends

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I think the best part of this whole ordeal is the fact that he thinks it is totally ok to go this big. Like you said the learning curve... he must have went to school for growing and thinks he has it down... but I think the biggest factor is that he thinks its legal because the president says no more raids... I guess he has not been staying up on the lates news stories on the raids. State pen is totally diffent then Federal pen.

Great is the pride before the fall.

Top Bottom