What to seal drywall with?? Home Depot Products

• Thread starter Mr.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr.

The HVAC guy is coming Friday morning to install my mini splits and I need to have the rest of my drywall hung, sealed and painted. I keep hearing different things on how to do this. One person recommended that i use an oil base primer and then after it dries coat it with a water based latex, but then I read online that the water based latex won't stick to an oil base.

I am just not understanding this. So if anyone could just tell me specifically what to use then it would be a tremendous help. I will be buying the stuff from Home depot.

I already bought two cans each of Kilz oil based primer/sealer (in the white can with red letters) and Kilz water based latex primer/sealer premium in the gold can). Do I use both of these or just one? Do I need to buy something else?

I want this room to be as water vapor proof and sealed as possible. I will have a UC Evolution 18 buckets, 13 gals a piece, and don't want the humidity to seap into the walls and cause mold or mildew growth on the exterior or interior surface. I will have dehuey's but still...

vaporedout

vaporedout

i dont have nearly that many plants, but have never had mold, but i just used regular joint paste, home depot, about 16 bucks. but throughout my readings ive found that most people call for FLAT WHITE, paint. no gloss because of hot spots?? i dunno, i just remember jorge savantes tellin me to do that in a DVD.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Primer, best in my opinion is Killz, good thick stuff, makes a great seal against the drywall. For mildew resistant paint, IIRC Zinsser makes a good product, Perma-White.

Flat white paint reflects the most light.

I

ibTheMan

Sounds dumb, but what the hells ah mini split i keep readn about? another AC coil?

O

ookiimata

I've applied an oil stain/sealer to wood, let it dry, then put the latex sealer on top of it. No problems. Sticks fine. I used caulk and drywall plaster for filling cracks, sealing joining pieces, etc. The sealant worked fine on them as well. I don't know how air tight the cabinet is, but I've put a bunch of light in there and had no leaks at all. I know it's not drywall, but just giving my experience of putting latex onto oil.

M

Mr.

So do I need to a lay a KILLZ water based latex primer/sealer and then flat white paint on top of that? Is there any white paint that I need to look out for that emits toxic voc's?

The Joker

The Joker

Most of the VOC's are not that toxic. But if you want Zero VOC paint, it's available at any professional paint store like Benjamin Moore. All you need, once you float the joints is a good sealer primer. If you are concerned about the gassing off, wear a respirator while applying.

I am a certified green contractor and as far as paint goes, the zero VOC primer sucks.
You pay more too. If you just get a good Kills, Stainlok or any kind of water barrier primer, you'll be avoiding the insides getting moldy.

Caulk any openings as well. I reprime every few grows

M

Mr.

So use water based or oil based Killz primer? and then lay just a coat of basic oil or water white paint on it?

C

ClimateControl

What Is A Mini Split

Sounds dumb, but what the hells ah mini split i keep readn about? another AC coil?

Its just a smaller version of a central split system that doesn't require ducts, and they are exponentially more efficient than a central ducted system.

Split= Blower(Inside AirHandler) Is separated from the condenser(Outside, compressor)

Quieter than window or portable units, and way more energy efficient. Most popular product to cool a grow!!

Dont hesitate to ask me a question, Im here to help the farmers save money!!:smiley_joint:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So use water based or oil based Killz primer? and then lay just a coat of basic oil or water white paint on it?
I will generally only work with water-based paints, they've gotten to be very good products. Also, I don't think you can get a low-0-VOC oil-based product.

Water with water, oil with oil. I've spent too many years fucking around trying to do it otherwise and it's too hit-or-miss for me to feel comfortable saying that you can 'mix' painting with oil/water-based products.

If you were in the Motherlode, I'd sell you my unopened 5gal bucket of Killz.

F

f1ydave

I would do 2 coats of Killz Oil based (fumes will get you high, its like a drunken/slap happy high), 2 coats of that will have a nice strong sealed base. After that 2 top coats of any brand Flat "Ceiling White" paint (Ceiling White is very bright, 80-85% reflectivity). Don't buy any Home Depot or Lowes house paints, they are tinted water, Glidden or Olympia would work. After that, I recommend 2 coats of KoolSeal Reflective Roof Acrylic paint (Elastomeric Paint) (90%-95% reflectivity with a nice flat white base, located in roofing isle). This will get you high too, a very coma-like high, strangest paint high I have gotten. Do vent this one for sure, open windows and spend hours in fresh air afterwards, etc. We weren't sure if we were high on it for days since we didnt vent much. After venting we were amazed how effected we were.

Paint your floor too if you can, last. Use a space heater to speed up dry time. At least 30 minutes between each coat and a few hours for the KoolSeal. If your mini split can heat, thru that thing on right away and bake the room.

If you are feeling rich, there is titanium white paint. Costs about $50/gallon and does 97.2% reflectivity.

C

CAPO

just use the "primer-in-the-paint", it's new, it's good, it's mildew resistant, all latex.

Taedon83

Taedon83

I agree with Garden of Dreams.
Drywall.
rough mud & tape.
killz primer (water cause its cheaper)
Then hit up the reflextic. IR block. etc and tape that with aluminum tape.

Its gonna give you the most reflectivity and insulation with out a million coats and chemicals. There is the part where you spray the adhesive for the IR block though.

Room exhaust
Taedon83

Taedon83

oh and I like to use insulfoam for ceilings if your needing additional noise reduction and R values.

F

f1ydave

You can see in Taedon83 pics, that he has massive light loss and hot spots to boot.

There are different mediums you can use for your walls. I personally painted because it is easier than gluing, cutting and/or mounting rolled pieces of material. On top of that, I wanted a uniform even light spread with no hot spots. Hot spots are like holding a magnifying glass that never goes away while the lights are on.

To get the best results with your light and walls, it is important to get the walls as close as possible to your garden to ensure the least amount of light is wasted. As a caveat, the percentages provided are only useful as a general guideline, as they present the range of reflectivity of the particular surfaces. The high percentage presents the best possible circumstances for that material (for example a 99% reflectivity rating for mylar sheeting would be under ideal conditions - no creases, completely flat, no discoloration, etc).

Flat white paint:

Self explanatory; a great option for large grow rooms or for people who are interested in a low maintenance wall. Flat white paint has the ability to reflect between 75-85% of the light, and does not create hotspots. Adding a fungicide is recommended when painting, but not necessary.

Glossy and eggshell whites not reflect light as efficiently as flat white. Semi-gloss paint for example, only has the ability to reflect between 55-60% of the light. Also important to remember when using paint is that any smears or blemishes on the surface take away from how reflective the wall is so care should be taken to avoid marking or staining the walls. Titanium white paint is very reflective; however it is usually only used on reflectors due to its high cost.

Elastomeric Paint:

A rubberized roofing paint with 90% reflection. Mildew resistant. Highly reflective.

Kool Seal White Elastomeric Roof Coating ~ $15.00 (1 Gallon)

Ultra high reflectivity
Forms a rubber-like blanket that expands and contracts
Adheres to almost any surface (very good on wood and metal)
Available @ www.lowes.com

White/Black plastic (also known as panda plastic or "poly"):

"Poly" is useful if you are setting up a temporary grow room or don’t want to damage the walls. Poly is easily cleaned.

The purpose of the black side is to not allow any light to pass through the plastic, which ensures your dark cycle remains dark. The white side is 75-90% reflective. Choose a 6 "mill" thickness of poly for maximum light blockage and duribility.

If this plastic is put too close to the light, you will obviously melt it so be careful!. Panda plastic does not create hotspots. Poly can be attached to the walls by using carpenter’s nails or using tape glue or similar means. This can be used as a cheap alternative to mylar if painting your grow room is out of the question.

Foylon:

A more durable version of mylar, made of spun polyester fabric and reinforced with foil laminate. Foylon is resistant to most solutions, won't tear or fade, and can be wiped or washed clean.

A great solution for growers who are interested in long term use, and though it may be slightly more expensive than mylar, its durability will more than make up for its cost. It has the ability to reflect about 95% of the light and approximately 85% of the heat energy, so a good ventilation system should be used in conjunction with folyon.

A recommended method to attach Foylon to the walls would be using Velcro, as it makes taking it down for cleaning much easier nd reduces the risk of tearing, creasing or bending it. If this is used for your walls, making sure you get it flush with the wall with no pockets of air between it and the wall to prevent hotspots.

Mylar:

A highly reflective polyester film that comes in varying thickness, the most common being 1 and 2 mm thick. The 2mm thick mylar while not quite as durable as the foylon, is fairly rugged. The 1mm thick mylar tears fairly easily, so taking it down for cleaning is quite difficult without damaging it in the process. Both types of mylar are able to reflect approximately 92-97% reflective, giving it the potential to be more reflective than foylon, but because foylon is more easily cleaned without damaging it as well as it being harder to crease, foylon usually ends up being slightly more reflective. Important to note is that mylar reflects radiant heat energy just as well as foylon (around 85%), so proper ventilation is necessary if mylar is used in your grow room. Attaching this to walls can be done in a similar fashion as foylon, and the same caution should be used to avoid creating hotspots in your room. The 1mm thick mylar stands a fair chance of being creased or ripped in the process unfortunately, even if Velcro is used to attach to the walls.

C3 anti-detection film:

A specialized type of mylar that exhibits the same properties as the 2mm thick mylar, but in addition to reflecting approximately 92-97% of the light, it also is 90% infrared proof, making your grow room all but invisible to IR scanning. This can also be attached in the same manner as foylon or mylar, and the same caution should be used to avoid creating hotspots in your room.

Polystyrene Foam Sheeting (more commonly known as Styrofoam):

This is excellent for harsh environment growrooms (your attic for example), provided you have a good ventilation system and a way to keep the temperatures from rising too high (an a/c unit or similar) as it is an excellent insulator.

It is also a great material for use in a temporary setup or for use as a "travelling reflector" on a light mover, where weight is a concern. It is approximately 75-85% light reflective so it is comparable to using a flat white paint. Foam will not create hot spots. Rigid foam can be purchased in sheets, and can be used as a free standing wall or can be taped, glued or nailed to the wall, the last generally being the most successful method.

Emergency Blankets:

These are ultra thin polyester blankets that are sold in most camping stores and are constructed of a single layer of polyester film that is covered with a layer of vapor deposited aluminum.

It is not very effective at reflecting light because it is so thin. Holding it between you and a light source, many small holes are noticed at the intersections of creases and the entire blanket is translucent to begin with, this coupled with the many creases that are in it when you purchase it takes away a significant amount of it reflectivity. It is very easily creased as well which also detracts from its ability to reflect light. And while it is reflects nearly 90% of radiant heat energy, it is only able to reflect around 70% of the light.

The largest advantage of using this type of material is that it is very cheap and therefore easily replaced. Emergency blankets can create hotspots if not attached flush to the wall so it is important that no air gaps exist between it and your supporting wall. The easiest way to attach this is to use tape (Aluminum or metal tape is recommended), as it tears very easily once it is cut or punctured.

Aluminum Foil:

Aluminum foil is no more than 55% reflective - if used, make sure that the dull side is the one that is used to reflect the light. When it becomes creased its reflectivity is even lower (around 35%.) It is also very dangerous to use because it creates hotspots easily, is electrically conductive, and is a fire hazard when it is in close contact with HID lighting. Attaching this to walls is a pain and usually using aluminum tape or glue is the best way. This should only be used as a last resort, and even then its usefulness is questionable.

F

f1ydave

Which looks brighter?

115422d1290667951t-what-seal-drywall-home-depot-products-room-exhaust.jpg.att

OR

(Just shop lights on)
http://i306.invalid.com/albums/nn272/f1ydave/Grow/IMG_0671.png

Here is a Video I made the other day of my lights firing on. You can see the light on the wall clearly. Great reflection to the side of the plants.

M

Mr.

Ok, thanks for the all the input guys. I will use Killz premium water based primer in the gold can and a flat white paint mixed with a fungicide.

H

Hylife

If you haven't done it already I would go with GLIDDEN New PVA Drywall Primer & Sealer (its about 1/3 the price of Kilz) and on top of that any Semi-Gloss latex paint. There are also little blue packets that you can buy and mix in with your gallon of paint, they are mildew resistant additives that will prevent mold from growing. You could also just use Mold-Block rated drywall.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If we're concerned with R values as well, then my best recommendation is to go much simpler and get the rigid foam insulation and simply install it with the white side inside. It's how I have my room. You can get it in different thicknesses, up to 2"-3", IIRC, is mold/mildew/bug resistant and doesn't need to be painted. In fact, it cleans up very easily.

B

Bert Gruder

If we're concerned with R values as well, then my best recommendation is to go much simpler and get the rigid foam insulation and simply install it with the white side inside. It's how I have my room. You can get it in different thicknesses, up to 2"-3", IIRC, is mold/mildew/bug resistant and doesn't need to be painted. In fact, it cleans up very easily.

Top Bottom