What to use for ph down.

• Thread starter Lewish02
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lewish02

Lewish02

Hi folks, I've been using apple cider vinegar for ph down but as I'm giving plants nearly 35 litres a day its getting expensive lol. I've bought citric acid crystals but they are putting my ec and ppm way high. What's best to use apart from ph down. Cheers

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Like battery acid. I thought something like that would kill them lol.
In the wrong concentration it will. Be sure to follow the rules which aren’t hard since you’re adding the acid to water. Caution doing the opposite per standard lab rules.

Acid is acid basically.

Lewish02

Lewish02

In the wrong concentration it will. Be sure to follow the rules which aren’t hard since you’re adding the acid to water. Caution doing the opposite per standard lab rules.

Acid is acid basically.
Nitric acid, phosphoric acid and sulfuric acid are all commonly used in hydroponics.
Aw, I've got sodium bisulphate thats pool ph down but guy at grow shop said not to use that use ph down.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So it seems to me that the originator of this thread is not familiar with the amazing new invention called a search engine. You can type literally anything into it and get some results to your inquiry.

I would try “Hydro ph down” Or “maybe cannabis ph down”

Lewish02

Lewish02

So it seems to me that the originator of this thread is not familiar with the amazing new invention called a search engine. You can type literally anything into it and get some results to your inquiry.

Well actually I am but wanted a second opinion. If you can't be respectful then keep your opinions to yourself.

Lewish02

Lewish02

Heres another thing you obviously can't read or something. The question was A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE TO PH DOWN not an expensive over priced ph down LIKE I WAS BUYING. PFFT SOME FOLK

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The obvious answer is a stronger acid.

I recently attempted to get a bottle of 1N hydrochloric acid that I use for work (about a dropper bottle full lasts a year or more). The chemical company refused to sell it to me, because I asked to have it sent to my house rather than a business address.

If you can get nitric, phosphoric or hydrochloric from a chemical company, it will be cheaper in the long run, but it will cost up front. Also, all that safety stuff that @Pushrod Monkey said.

Sulfuric is a little nastier, because it is a strong oxidant as well as strong acid. That's why any clothing that gets battery acid on it will get holes in the shape of the droplet of acid that hit it.

I agree with the grow shop guy. It's best to avoid adding sodium.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If vinegar seemed to work you probably dont need ph down. Vinegar does not keep ph stable. It breaks up almost immediately after pouring.

Lewish02

Lewish02

If vinegar seemed to work you probably dont need ph down. Vinegar does not keep ph stable. It breaks up almost immediately after pouring.

I think it was due to vinegar that my leaves were showing signs of deficiency and runoff was way lower than inflow. Thanks

Lewish02

Lewish02

I recently attempted to get a bottle of 1N hydrochloric acid that I use for work (about a dropper bottle full lasts a year or more). The chemical company refused to sell it to me, because I asked to have it sent to my house rather than a business address.

If you can get nitric, phosphoric or hydrochloric from a chemical company, it will be cheaper in the long run, but it will cost up front. Also, all that safety stuff that @Pushrod Monkey said.

Sulfuric is a little nastier, because it is a strong oxidant as well as strong acid. That's why any clothing that gets battery acid on it will get holes in the shape of the droplet of acid that hit it.

I'll have a look, i think I'm going to try sodium bisuphate or aluminium sulphate. I don't know how plants will react to it tho.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What media are you in? That will have a huge impact on the source of acid you want to use

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Acids are only as strong as they are concentrated. I use 85%phosphoric acid but by the time I dilute it down I could do a foot soak in it 😁

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok then you have 3 choices....and citric acid is not one of them. The reaction of citric acid with bicarbonates cause the rapid breakdown of that type of acid. Essentially it will offgas as co2 rapidly and with aeration even faster. Likely less than 12hrs.

So...

1. Phosphoric acid (very stable and an ideal choice in hydro and soiless)

2. Sulfuric acid (a good alternative to number 1)

3. Nitric acid (less stable than the previous 2 but still doable)

Now there is a lot more to creating a stable PH so I'll just link this thread and if you have questions just ask and I'll try to answer them.

Top Bottom