What to use for ph down.

• Thread starter Lewish02
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lewish02

Lewish02

Thanks, the only phosphoric acid i can find online is drain cleaner but that's got other chemicals in it :(

Lewish02

Lewish02

Ok then you have 3 choices....and citric acid is not one of them. The reaction of citric acid with bicarbonates cause the rapid breakdown of that type of acid. Essentially it will offgas as co2 rapidly and with aeration even faster. Likely less than 12hrs.

So...

1. Phosphoric acid (very stable and an ideal choice in hydro and soiless)

2. Sulfuric acid (a good alternative to number 1)

3. Nitric acid (less stable than the previous 2 but still doable)

Now there is a lot more to creating a stable PH so I'll just link this thread and if you have questions just ask and I'll try to answer them.

Would this do, best i can find.

Screenshot 20210415 182101 Amazon Shopping
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Would this do, best i can find.
Yup that will work... and remember always add acid to water never water to acid. You can decant and dilute 10 to 1 if you like to make adjustments easier. You will want to ensure you have an adequate alkalinity as described in the thread I linked in order to create a nice stable PH.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Scotland mate
If you have a hydro store near you it's common to find. Just need to look at the ingredients. Here is a hydro store in Scotland. I'm not sure if it's close to you but this is 81% phosphoric acid.

Lewish02

Lewish02

If you have a hydro store near you it's common to find. Just need to look at the ingredients. Here is a hydro store in Scotland. I'm not sure if it's close to you but this is 81% phosphoric acid.

Spot on mate, ill order that just now. Thankyou

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think it was due to vinegar that my leaves were showing signs of deficiency and runoff was way lower than inflow. Thanks

If you have been fertilizing regularly lower ppm runoff than input may indicate salt buildup. If not it may show the plant needs more.

The vinegar does pretty much nothing. But most grows the ph is fine.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Waterd down white vinegar will lower ph, bakeing soda will raise it but go slow or you can buy ph up/down.

vinegar does not remain stable and does not control ph. It is a temporary acid. So you see it adjust the mixture but it will go right back to its own ph or attain the medium ph.

and backing soda (sodium) is salt and should not be used much.

And I don’t think this grower has a ph problem but a nutrient one. Need information to advise.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree it may not be a ph issue but it's important to use the proper ph down and alkalinity in coco as it's buffering capacity is next to nothing. So that's one issue that should be corrected. While cannabis grows well in a wide range of PH it like most plants don't like large swings in short periods of time. Also important for nutrient availability which can cause nutrient issues.

If I had to guess with this being a new grower there is likely several small issues to correct or improve.

Lewish02

Lewish02

vinegar does not remain stable and does not control ph. It is a temporary acid. So you see it adjust the mixture but it will go right back to its own ph or attain the medium ph.

and backing soda (sodium) is salt and should not be used much.

And I don’t think this grower has a ph problem but a nutrient one. Need information to advise.

I wouldn't need ph down if I was just using calmag and the flora series as it basically goes to 6ph after adding it I add liquid silicon first which shoots the ph away up from 7 to 10.8 which I need to ph back to 7 before adding nutes. Its some carry on lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wouldn't need ph down if I was just using calmag and the flora series as it basically goes to 6ph after adding it I add liquid silicon first which shoots the ph away up from 7 to 10.8 which I need to ph back to 7 before adding nutes. Its some carry on lol

you will need real ph down for that. Can use general hydroponics ph down or the like for ease.

I found I did not need so much silica though. Directions are about 3x what a plant needs on average. For example. Dyna grow says 5 ml every time with protekt. That raises medium ph beyond control quickly. The plant needs only 1.5-2ml regularly for benefits of their strength silica.

Lewish02

Lewish02

you will need real ph down for that. Can use general hydroponics ph down or the like for ease.

I found I did not need so much silica though. Directions are about 3x what a plant needs on average. For example. Dyna grow says 5 ml every time with protekt. That raises medium ph beyond control quickly. The plant needs only 1.5-2ml regularly for benefits of their strength silica.

I add 1ml/L. Is that too much

Latest posts

Top Bottom