What type of growing media do you use and why?

• Thread starter 420ganjagirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420ganjagirl

420ganjagirl

What type of growing media do you use and why? What reasons do growers tend to choose one over another?

Mospeada

Mospeada

I went with RO in a DWC. I had a really rough time until I started using an aquarium chiller, then I was able to grow seriously. It's kinda funny when I think about how things would have ended up if I started with soil or coco. Originally I wanted to go soil. Making a living one sounded like a lot of fun but with my living conditions it just wasn't suitable. Coco seemed like an in-between, which isn't my thing so that's how I went with DWC hydro.

I still have a lot to learn but what I can say is that I've learnt enough to keep a stable solution. That's been the most satisfying and beneficial learning outcome I have gotten from growing in hydro. Being able to see exactly what your roots are seeing (EC/TDS) and being able to immediately affect that in real time is awesome.

Other benefits I've found is hydro is cheap on nutes, really cheap. I don't use more than 2.5ml/L of NPK, that includes Mg for a ppm total of 300-350 avg, I supplement with calcium nitrate but that's always gone by the next feed. There are a few things that make my grow easy. My solution is always at a set temp, usually 18 degrees Celsius, I also have a decent air pump (60w). Humic acid and kelp extract keep my roots healthy. I use fulvic as an added chelator to increase nutrient efficiency and it buffers the pH in my solution too so I just don't have pH issues, ever. Also add aminos for a chelator to the calcium and finally Yucca to keep the organic molecules and minerals suspended. I think I'm just about ready to attempt a no res change grow.

I think it would be very common for a lot of growers to stick to what they try first for a while. Some may never even get to try something different which is ironic as I am in that boat atm. I do love hydro though. It's been very rewarding and fun for me.

growsince79

growsince79

This is my 3rd time using coco loco. This stuff works great. No need to feed at all the first month. Then I just add dry ammendments every 2-3 weeks. Water like you would soil not coco.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Promix. I have used it forever and have had nothing but good results from it. I like it because I don't have to worry about over-watering, as Promix seems to keep the roots damp but also allows O2 to reach them. It also is free fromnutrients, so I am in total control over what I add... or don't add. One of the things I add is about 20% copost/manure in with the Promix. This slightly increases the water holding ability of the mix and also provides a ton of both micro and macro nutrients. I add a few tablespoons of Osmocote time release blooming fertilizer (Jack's) and about a 1/2 cup of wood ashes (from good wood with no preservatives. preferably good hardwood). I fertilize with Jack's 20-20-20 every 12-15 days during full vegging growth and use Jack's bloom fertilizer during flowering. Promix is buffered, so the tendency to get lower Ph from nutes is offset to keep Ph in the correct zone.
FWIW, I use a lot less nutes than most growers would ever consider, but I don't have issues with lockouts or nute burn either, like you can get from some commercially prepared mediums. I find Promix is almost too easy. Seriously. Once it is set up, the only thing to do is to water it as needed, typically every other day until late flowering, when it can drink a gallon a day. I use tap water as it has plenty of minerals and I have no need for RO or distilled water. It works great and can work even better with a few tweaks... something for the newer growers to find out!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Which way does the wind blow...?

Seriously I'm going through what I consider a "phase" of experimentation with different methods.
I'm well experienced in promix, have dabbled in, and quickly abandoned organics.. I've done coco and rockwool and am now back to coco after many years.

I choose my media based on 2 factors. Results, and manageability.

As mentioned, I'm back to coco and liking it. It gives pretty much equal growth rates as rockwool when treated like a hydro medium and is easier to get rid of in my garden. It's cheaper than rockwool also.
But importantly it has a beneficial cec that tends to really work well with cannabis.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey 420 , every choice comes with a varying degree of commitment and skill , coco is nice and easy , just requires more watering and attention than lets say than promix .

Lately im in promix , its somewhat foregiving , retains water and nutrients for a longer period than coco , its easy to add your desired nutrient needs , and will hold those nutrients or quite a while...ph bufffered , and accepts organics easily if you choose to amend ,

I also mix composted soil mixes for outdoor grows , but thats a more advanced and sometimes tricky medium to get correct,

I like to add about 1/4 pearlite , sometimes worm castings , or bat guano to my promix and go with a simple nutrient formula like jimster said , dynagrow is an easy bottled inexpensive nutrient if you want to get a beginner grow going without much fuss , promix / perlite / dynagrow .....simple

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Cleanliness is rockwool hands down. Trays, floor, and trash at the end.

Cheapness factor and ease + qual coco/fabric pots which I am back to after a long stint on wool. As for brands I still stick with Royal Gold Tupur. Right amount of perlite and cheap. Think I pay like 12 bucks a bag or something when I get it by the 1/2 or full pallet.

Best medium I have used is the dynarok's silica rocks. You might need a small business loan to kit out a big grow with those. They also have the same drawback as hydroton which is washing it a ton when you get it and after a run. Then ofc always stepping on the stones.

Madbud

Madbud

Just for pure simplicity i root in happy frog, transplant to ocean forest with added large perlite and use the fox farms trio, grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom. Is it the best, not even close to hydroponics. Reliable, simple and forgiving, definitely.

Mospeada

Mospeada

I'd still like to branch out. It's been interesting seeing other growers experience with their respective mediums. Even though I said coco wasn't my thing as I saw it as an in-between option; that is currently where I am at right now. I almost went coco for my new mother plant. However, my knowledge on it is still only a tenth to what I know about hydro. I chickened out and put my plants into water lol.

I would like to go coco as I think it would be ideal for a mother plant with my circumstances. They're only in water for now as the colder months are ahead of me but I don't want to hydro guard or peroxide my roots in summer so will need to learn about coco before then. Maybe one day when I have the time and patience I will look into soils properly.

IMG 20200417 142642
Last edited:
SmokerBwah

SmokerBwah

Use hydroton cuz you can just clean and reuse it grow after grow Works great why waste money on new grow media every time

SmokerBwah

SmokerBwah

Hey Mospeada that plant is ready for some serious defoliating

kellogs7064

kellogs7064

i've used coco and hydro. I prefer coco overall easier to maintenance plants and i prefer flavor and smell from coco

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I'm using multiple Tech this current grow.

I started my first dwc grow got my equipment finally dialed in waiting on harvest day maybe 25 30 days Still.

Besides that all my growing experience is soil and promix potting the stuff with no nutes in it. But this time because of corona I can't walk into the local landscape supply because there closed lol

So I went to the dollar store and saw they sold a soil mix much like promix 0 nutes from a company called floral.

Cheap I think I paid 2$, for 10 liters and it hold moisture good. So I'm using that for the couple plants trying mainlining with also got some cuttings in rw awaiting a raised garden I'm to be picking up Tuesday next week to go into my newly build green house.

I'm also in an experimenting phase lately.

Soil is my safe place tho and safe is boring

C

CocoFun

Promix. I have used it forever and have had nothing but good results from it. I like it because I don't have to worry about over-watering, as Promix seems to keep the roots damp but also allows O2 to reach them. It also is free fromnutrients, so I am in total control over what I add... or don't add. One of the things I add is about 20% copost/manure in with the Promix. This slightly increases the water holding ability of the mix and also provides a ton of both micro and macro nutrients. I add a few tablespoons of Osmocote time release blooming fertilizer (Jack's) and about a 1/2 cup of wood ashes (from good wood with no preservatives. preferably good hardwood). I fertilize with Jack's 20-20-20 every 12-15 days during full vegging growth and use Jack's bloom fertilizer during flowering. Promix is buffered, so the tendency to get lower Ph from nutes is offset to keep Ph in the correct zone.
FWIW, I use a lot less nutes than most growers would ever consider, but I don't have issues with lockouts or nute burn either, like you can get from some commercially prepared mediums. I find Promix is almost too easy. Seriously. Once it is set up, the only thing to do is to water it as needed, typically every other day until late flowering, when it can drink a gallon a day. I use tap water as it has plenty of minerals and I have no need for RO or distilled water. It works great and can work even better with a few tweaks... something for the newer growers to find out!
I'm a big fan of yours bud. I do NEARLY everything the same....I do add 10% more perlite, I use earthworm castings instead of compost, and I use GAIA green you use jacks. My water is well water full of micro nutes pH is 6.8 happy me happy weed.

C

CocoFun

Use hydroton cuz you can just clean and reuse it grow after grow Works great why waste money on new grow media every ti

There's ALWAYS at least one guy TELLING YOU what to use, and viola here he stands!!! . The question is WHAT DO YOU USE????? Not be a tool and TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO USE.
There's always someone like you in these. Next time you have a thought.....let it go. It's best for the world.

C

CocoFun

Hey Mospeada that plant is ready for some serious defoliating
Ohhhhh and then he chirps in again. It's his plant dude.
That's strike 2 in a single thread brother. One more strike, I call douchebag.

R

randomburners

Hydroton and rapid rooters. I use RO water, Zumsil Silica (Monosilicic Acid), and Jacks for my base A/B nutrients. I also run Dr.Mary Jane Root Probiotic but plan on using the Southern AG fungicide once I run out.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Dry amendments and microbes in a mix of this and that. H20 only unless there is a tea or some recharge . One top dress when I flip and rice hulls for mulch on top. Easy once it's made.

Madbud

Madbud

Just for pure simplicity i root in happy frog, transplant to ocean forest with added large perlite and use the fox farms trio, grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom. Is it the best, not even close to hydroponics. Reliable, simple and forgiving, definitely.
LOL, still using the same soils, refreshed with perlite, mycos and ewc, and got rid of the “big trio”.
14931FB2 78DA 4FBB B77B 64C18225B670

D0FAE38A D64F 4C40 B759 275C1D0C3DA4

Top Bottom