What type of mini split for winter operation?

• Thread starter KushCo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KushCo

KushCo

So I have been shopping around for a mini split the last few weeks and after talking to a couple of manufacturers I have come to find out that some, if not most, wont work during cold winter months. I just finished a 6k buildout with vented lights... I live in MI where it can get real cold in the winter time, but even on the coldest days, I will still need a unit that will cool my room.

Can anyone here recommend a brand that will COOL in low ambient temps? I was dead set on buying a Friedrich but after speaking with customer service today I found out they will not cool in less than 60F temps. I spoke with a guy that runs a local Hydro store and he recommended LG.

I am sure there are plenty of folks here who run minisplits to cool during the winter months...what type are you using/ or what could you recommend??? Thanks....

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Easy answer,mitsubishi heat pump mini split will cool down to 14 and their hyper heat high seer unit is like -14 i beleive but i dont know if its available over 2 ton though,not sure what your requirements are.

jkbeing

jkbeing

The kit you can buy is called LOW AMBIENT CONTROLS, If you have an HVAC guy, they should be able to install it. It will shut off the condenser fan when the temps get low, so the evap coils don't freeze up.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Fujitsu baby!

"All models have low ambient capabilities built-in.
Capacity is reduced as 0 degrees Fahrenheit is approached."

KushCo

KushCo

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions...I really appreciate it.

my LG will work down to 14F

The LG is what im leaning towards ordering. So it works down to 14F out of the box without a low ambient kit? Does it have to have a heat pump or cool only? These are the two I am looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24000-BTU-L...363264?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item1c23d6ca00

My actual flowering area is 10'X11' w/ 8 foot ceilings. I am running 6000 watts with Magnum XXXL 8 inch reflectors cooled with a 10 inch max fan in front and an 8 inch max fan on the end. The air intake for the lights comes from cool fresh air from non-grow room, and I built a manifold with square D that allows me to either dump the hot air outside the house or heat a living space. The ballasts and subpanel are located outside the grow space. Walls are insulated drywall and 1 inch foil face foam sheathing. I also covered the drop ceiling with 1 inch foil face foam and completely sealed everything with foil/gorilla tape, and caulked all cracks. I believe a 2 ton Mini split would do the trick no problem, but since it is only a couple hundred more ill probably end up getting a 2.5 ton. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks again...

A

AlexsFriend

2 ton will work fine. I have a LG cooling my grow i was cool all summer but if u can afford a bigger one for a few hundred more do it.

T

tedsprogz

I'm in CA and the outside air gets plenty cold enough to act as an AC.

E

ECOutlaw

Just a quick question for the guys running mini splits in single digit tempertures.

Will the condensers produce steam when it gets cold out? Thanks!

S

swisscheese

I'm running 8 lights not air cooled with a 12" fan. You seem to have either cheap fans or overkill on your air cooling. Grab a 12" max fan or even a 10" and you're good to go.

KushCo

KushCo

I'm running 8 lights not air cooled with a 12" fan. You seem to have either cheap fans or overkill on your air cooling. Grab a 12" max fan or even a 10" and you're good to go.

I have a 10 inch max fan for my air cooling...it works great. My system for air cooling the hoods is working very well. With it being winter where im at, I am able to cool all of my lights with the 10" Max fan and use the warm air to heat other parts of my space.

For anyone interested I ended up getting the LG LS240HSV2. I have been using it for about 6 weeks and it has worked great. It really only kicks on maybe 2-3 times a day to keep my temps at 78F. I am very happy with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom