What wattage light should I buy?

• Thread starter SkeletorsUnc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SkeletorsUnc

I hope this topic hasn't been covered before. I searched and was unable to find an answer to my problem. I am contemplating a grow tent that is 4' X 4' x 7'. I only want to grow one plant at a time, because I don't smoke much, have NO intention of selling anything, and don't want to build up a massive stash.

My question is thus: what size light should I get? I was gifted a 400 watt HPS/MH switchable ballast, but the last time I plugged it in it sparked, started buzzing loudly, and shocked me pretty bad when I touched the case of the ballast. This is when it is in the OFF position (as opposed to the MH or HPS position). It also has trouble starting the HPS bulb (sometimes it will start, sometimes not). So I don't think it's safe.

So I have to buy a light, I'm trying to decide whether I would benefit from buying something larger than a 400 watt, considering I will only have one plant at any given time. I've read a lot about lighting, and the consensus seems to be that a 600 watt is perfect for a 4' x 4' room, but everyone talks about how many plants you can cover with that wattage and area. I have no desire to achieve a maximum yield for my space. I simply want to achieve a maximum yield from one plant at a time, while wasting as little electricity as possible.

What I've been looking at thus far is a dimmable ballast (either 1000 watt or 600 watt), or a regular 600 watt, or possibly the new 860 watt Philips ceramic metal halide. Or if it would work, even the 330 watt ceramic. I've read good things about the ceramics, but I don't know enough about lighting to make a decision. Thanks to everyone for any assistance possible!

TLDR: What wattage and type of light should I buy to maximize yield from ONE plant (and only one plant at a time) in a 4' x 4' x 7' tent while minimizing electrical costs. Thanks!

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

You should really check out Titanesslightshop.com. I personally run their hoods and ballasts and with how small of a tent you are thinking of running, I would be concerned with heat. They offer a 600 watt setup with a dual arc bulb which isn't necessary to swap bulbs for bloom and veg. Just a thought I always recommend them to anyone looking for new state of the art equipment. I have my hoods 4-6" above my plants without worrying about burning the plants. 7' is really going to hinder your options of veg time and strains. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps you.

S

SkeletorsUnc

Thank you for the reply, I will check them out. I have had a few grows, though none in this tent. A couple were actually in smaller spaces. I don't think I've had any issues with heat so far using a 400cfm exhaust fan vented outside my room. In my previous grows I used LST to prevent them from growing too tall, I imagine I will keep up that trend this time.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Thank you for the reply, I will check them out. I have had a few grows, though none in this tent. A couple were actually in smaller spaces. I don't think I've had any issues with heat so far using a 400cfm exhaust fan vented outside my room. In my previous grows I used LST to prevent them from growing too tall, I imagine I will keep up that trend this time.
Sounds like you know what your doing. I wish you the best of luck.

S

SkeletorsUnc

Thanks, I have an idea of what I'm doing. Always more to learn though. My main issue is whether a 50% increase in wattage (going from a 400 watt to a 600 watt) would give me a 50% increase in yield without increasing the number of plants I have. I don't have any desire to grow the maximum amount of bud possible for my space, I just want to grow the maximum bud per my one plant, if that makes sense.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I would go with something like this,

You can run this ballast at 400 or 600 by changing the bulb and turning a switch,its good quality and if you decide 400 isnt enough you dont have to buy a new ballast just a bulb.Should work perfect in that tent with 1 plant and a 600 but a 400 will probably be fine to but i have no experience with 400's to go off.The 600 will definitely yield better then the 400 With 1 plant IMO.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Thanks, I have an idea of what I'm doing. Always more to learn though. My main issue is whether a 50% increase in wattage (going from a 400 watt to a 600 watt) would give me a 50% increase in yield without increasing the number of plants I have. I don't have any desire to grow the maximum amount of bud possible for my space, I just want to grow the maximum bud per my one plant, if that makes sense.
I'm going to have to agree with@fishwhistler. 600 watt should give you a better yield with one plant. You might want to check out a sticky thread called main line topping too. It goes in depth on how to get total control of plant height and width you are looking for. I personally use this method and it works amazing. You are able to get consistent top nug fullness from every plant limb. That should also help with yields and equal nutrient uptake to the entire plant, which in turn gives a level where all the plant is getting equal light penetration.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The strain you grow is as important as any of these light and environment issues too,when you just have 1 plant it needs to be vigorous,yield well and not have other issues.

S

SkeletorsUnc

I agree fishwhistle with the strain being important, as well as growing techniques being important. But no strain or growing techniques can overcome a dearth of light, just as a wealth of light could not overcome a dearth of water or nutrients. All things in balance.

shoestring

shoestring

In a 4x4 area (tent) i can almost guarantee after a few runs under a 600 watt air cooled hps lamp your going to wish you made the smart move and bought a 1000 watt hps system from the get go. Especially with the prices and seeing how a dimmable 1000 watt ballast can drop down to 600 watts (which eventually you will just leave on the 1000 watt setting). Good luck and grow fat buds whichever wattage and.ballast you end up purchasing!!

S

SkeletorsUnc

So with a 600 watt HPS what size exhaust fan would you recommend? I'm worried a 200 CFM 4" fan like this one () won't cool well enough for a 600 watt let alone a 1000 watt. I'm no expert but I've heard you should keep temps below 85.

shoestring

shoestring

Go with a 1000 watt dimmable ballast and 6 inch air.cooled COMPLETE system. Then get a SIX INCH inline fan in the 400 cfm range. For the lamp system i suggest getting a reputable and known brand from say Sun Systems or Hydrofarm. Hydrofarm has a very inexpensive line of hoods and digital ballast under the lumii and xtrasun (the new blue dimmable digitals) brands. A store close to me sells the lumii 6 ince hoods for 86$ and the xtrasun digital 1000 watters for 215$. I have friends that use this setup and its pretty bang for buck. With the 6 inch inline dont skimp on loud junk. They all eventually crap out because of near constant on times and the heat thier required to remove from your tent. Go with quality like vortex or canfan. But their are several decent brands to choose from. Good luck and do some research and homework my young padawan!!!!

Oldmanstoner

Oldmanstoner

600 or 1k light go with 6" outlets an fans, don't skimp on fans! A 6 inch fan cooling off a single light, even a 1k is easy an will come out fairly cool an keep the light warm just a inch under the glass! That would be operating the tent in a outer room with decent ambient temps. Really no sense on getting anything other then a 1k for the price being nearly equal to a 600 which would take the same fan to cool it! Yet don't overlook the T5 HO's, I know people who use them an their buds are as dense as it gets!

Top Bottom