Whats a good brand of soil?

• Thread starter hydrotran
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hydrotran

I normally do hydro but I want to do some organic soil for fun. I was thinking about purchasing sunshine mix #4 and just sensei a and b no other nutes. Will that be ok? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Can't go wrong with Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, and using the Sensi A + B that sounds like a good start, but you will still need some additves.

D

driftin

sounds good but like symbiote420 said .. you may need additives .. i use promix BX with pureblend nutes myself

happy growin

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

I would recommend Roots Organic's soil. Just the regular organic potting soil, not the 707 mix, soiless, or greenfields. I'm having some good results indoors. I've only used happy frog outdoors before. So I cant have that much input, but im diggin the people that make the product and the product itself. Good people, good results. Im sold.

Good luck finding a soil that works for you!

S

Sea Of Green

If I were to use any of them it would be sunshine mix #2. I don't prefer to have a soil with as much drainage as #4. But since I'm a cheapskate when it comes to soil, I use Sun Gro's Nature's organic instead. Which is my #1 favorite commercial potting soil mix, and truth be told probably just as good or better than sm #2. Big on value, low on hype. Just the good stuff.

Truth is I don't care what brand it is, or if it's organic or not. All that I've found that matters is that it not be too heavily fortified with nutes out of the bag, that it not hold too much water, and that it not be too compact. Potting soils that meet these criteria tend to be labeled as "Premium". But don't be fooled, not all of them really are. And never settle for inferior quality soil. I'm highly selective when it comes to that actually. I will currently use only two other brands for my plants, neither are "organic". Filthy Rich or Whitney Farms.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I might piss alot of people off by saying this but it needs to be said most Fox Farm soils are not soils. (and the backlash starts) Seriously!, when you read any label on a product the first ingredient is the most abundant or most active; in this case with say Oceans Forest or Happy Frog it's compost so these products are mostly compost right? yep.

I

ibTheMan

Sunshine#4, 25-30% coarse perlite, and i add about 1 gallon of pure coco in a 7 gallon bucket, best ive come up with.

green punk

green punk

FWIW

With the current state of things and the root aphids amidst, there true origin unknown. I would use a soil that you make your self. Or if thats not your gig. Go with one of the irradiated brands the #4 or one of the promix that has no enhancements.

Good Luck, Grow Hard

symbiote420

symbiote420

FWIW

With the current state of things and the root aphids amidst, there true origin unknown. I would use a soil that you make your self. Or if thats not your gig. Go with one of the irradiated brands the #4 or one of the promix that has no enhancements.

Good Luck, Grow Hard

That's the main reason I don't fuck with FF I got those "micro roaches" in several bags of FF OF & HF last year, they need to have a buyers' beware displayed on their bags, shit!

D-Bud

D-Bud

Check out an additive called "Equalibrium" from Humbolt Organics for your cal/mag def. pllus it has an NPK of 1-1-2.. I use all organics and my mix is simple as there are really no hydro stores closer then 2hrs away.. so I use this: 16qt bag of the MG Organic Potting Mix which has really improved this year.. 8qrt bag of Ferry Morse seed starter mix with no NPK value and 8qrts of Cow Manure Compost with NPK of .05-.05-.05.. add Espoma's Plant starter plus @ 4-3-3 which gives ya the goodies such as Mychorrizae fungi and way to many others to list..some sweet hydrated lime... walla

I use this because I can find it locally and it works great. peace

mike hunt

mike hunt

Premium Member
Supporter
I use quite a bit so I got a discount. I'm in the Seattle area so there was no shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of a grow that used this soil?

C

CT Guy

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of a grow that used this soil?

Here's some photos of a tomato plant on my back deck that I had some leftover soil mix for. I've only watered it and let the rain hit it (it's been a rough year here in the Pacific NW for tomatoes...).

A

Alien

Supporter
Roots Organic has never done me wrong. Highly recommended.

H

HolyMunchies

I was a Fox Farms Ocean Forest person for 1-2 years after there quality hit the dumps I changed to SS#1 and #4 for a bit. This year RO 707 was used for the outdoor and indoors I have played with SS Advanced #4.

My conclusion is RO 707 is a good mix viable in or out but will hold more water in the medium. It has a light fert mix but EWC, epsom salts, lime, and some myco really add to the mix nicely. Can get pricey.

SS Advanced #4 did everything I asked of it. From start to finish it was easy to use and work with. I threw in some chunky perlite and some EWC but that was it. My Deadhead seems to love it (see pic) and I love the fact the lime kept ph in check without anything additional. I will continue to use this for anything indoors.

DH OG 012
vaporedout

vaporedout

if you have a whole foods around, try their $3.50 bag of organic soil. just as an experiment i picked one up and im pretty impressed by the vigor my outdoor girls are showing. ill post a pic later if i remember

Top Bottom