Whats a good light for flowering stage

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi guys, I'm new to growing and i need a light system but i have no idea where to start... Currently in seedlings phase, using household 6500k light on a 16/8 cycle...

My seeds where just regular seeds off regular street weed. They aren't feminized, and they aren't autoflower.

I'm looking for a full spectrum light system, that can run through all grow stages and flowering stage.

Budget is 200$

Lighting system features...

I'm looking for something with a incorporated timer, and a pulley or lift and drop system where I can raise and drop the lights as need...

I'm planning in the future of having around 6-8 plants so i would prefer something in the range of a 4x4 lighting system.

Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated i have done some looking around in Amazon but I'm overwhelmed with choices and still have no clue what to get.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

$200 might be difficult if you are looking to light a 4 x 4. Typically you're looking at about roughly $1.00 per watt on the budget priced lights.

You're going to want a light with a minimum of about 450w-480w. I prefer bar lights because of the more uniformly lit canopy they provide although many people use quantum board style lighting. Quantum board style tend to be slightly cheaper. If you are willing to grow into a 4 x 4 area, consider 2 smaller wattage lights and purchase them 1 at a time.

There's nothing on the market in your budget that incorporates the timer that I'm aware of.

All the lights I've purchased came with a set of "pulley's" for raising and lowering the lights. So most lights would have at least a pair included.

Zerberus

Zerberus

$200 might be difficult if you are looking to light a 4 x 4. Typically you're looking at about roughly $1.00 per watt on the budget priced lights.

You're going to want a light with a minimum of about 450w-480w. I prefer bar lights because of the more uniformly lit canopy they provide although many people use quantum board style lighting. Quantum board style tend to be slightly cheaper. If you are willing to grow into a 4 x 4 area, consider 2 smaller wattage lights and purchase them 1 at a time.

There's nothing on the market in your budget that incorporates the timer that I'm aware of.

All the lights I've purchased came with a set of "pulley's" for raising and lowering the lights. So most lights would have at least a pair included.
I was thinking something like this... Is it any good?

This light system
Screenshot 2023 03 27 18 58 17 444 comandroidchrome

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm not sure how good it is because I'm not at all familiar with the brand. I also wasn't able to find who makes the actual LEDs used in the light when I scanned through the light on Amazon.

Is it under-powered for a 4 x 4? - Yes, but not horribly so.

Will it grow weed? - Yes

Do I trust the light? No not really ... but that's because I've never heard of it before. It could be fine but it also might not be. So basically having never heard of the light or knowing of anyone using the light, its hard for me to recommend it.

Viparspectra/Phlizon/SpiderFarmer are the grow light manufactures that come to mind when talking about high(er) quality budget lights.

I found this one that stretches your budget:

It's not horribly over budget, but it is more than you wanted to spend.

Edit: I found this ...

About this item​

• 【High Efficiency and Low Energy Consumption】- SZHLUX LED Grow Light utilize the latest in high yielding LEDs technology Samsung diodes, high Energy Efficiency with 2.9 Umol/J
It doesn't state which Samsung diodes are used but Samsung diodes are considered to be good. 301b/h being preferred. The high efficiency rating of 2.9Umol/J is great if its accurate information.

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

On the reviews in amazon the guy has a video of his light being 3 inches away from the plants(that's way too close)..and its the 620w version. I don't think they're being honest about the output. But you can order it and maybe test the output and see how many true watts it has.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

On the reviews in amazon the guy has a video of his light being 3 inches away from the plants(that's way too close)..and its the 620w version. I don't think they're being honest about the output. But you can order it and maybe test the output and see how many true watts it has.
At least with Phlizon/Viparspectra/SpiderFarmer, there's people on this message board running them and can provide 1st hand information on how they run.

Here's something that I don't like about the SZHLUX light .... A buyer only has 30 days to return/replace/refund it after receipt.

Zerberus

Zerberus

At least with Phlizon/Viparspectra/SpiderFarmer, there's people on this message board running them and can provide 1st hand information on how they run.

Here's something that I don't like about the SZHLUX light .... A buyer only has 30 days to return/replace/refund it after receipt.
What about this

It's 200$

Screenshot 2023 03 27 19 40 30 853 comandroidchrome

Zerberus

Zerberus

My biggest problem isn't buying the light if i was in the US i could easily buy a more expensive light, problem is I'm growing these plants in Cuba, and apart from spending the 200$ on the lights, i still have to buy a temperature and humidity monitor, light spectrum monitor, and a few other trinkets which will probably put me into the 300$ range, and once everything is bought i have to pay a person (a mule) tu bring those things here so i would be spending roughly around 1000$ with everything included. It's why I'm trying to stay under the 200$ budget.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My biggest problem isn't buying the light if i was in the US i could easily buy a more expensive light, problem is I'm growing these plants in Cuba, and apart from spending the 200$ on the lights, i still have to buy a temperature and humidity monitor, light spectrum monitor, and a few other trinkets which will probably put me into the 300$ range, and once everything is bought i have to pay a person (a mule) tu bring those things here so i would be spending roughly around 1000$ with everything included. It's why I'm trying to stay under the 200$ budget.

Gotcha

AC Infinity ships direct to a lot of countries. I have no idea if they ship to Cuba, but it would at least be worth looking at. If they can ship it directly so you don't need a "mule" to bring it to you, you would definitely see your money go further. You could have a complete AC Infinity system with environmental controller and lighting for that $1000.

Edit: Is growing weed even legal in Cuba? LoL

Zerberus

Zerberus

Gotcha

AC Infinity ships direct to a lot of countries. I have no idea if they ship to Cuba, but it would at least be worth looking at. If they can ship it directly to you so you don't need a "mule" to bring it to you, you would definitely see your money go further. You could have a complete AC Infinity system with environmental controller and lighting for that $1000.
Cuba is under a commercial embargo by the united states, there's no foreign shipping company that enter the country.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Cuba is under a commercial embargo by the united states, there's no foreign shipping company that enter the country.

What about China? Alibaba to be more precise? If so, check out Kingbrite on Alibaba

Edit: 320w Samsung 281b led chip $217.49 includes delivery to the USA

Kingbrite 281b Light

Last edited:
Zerberus

Zerberus

Gotcha

AC Infinity ships direct to a lot of countries. I have no idea if they ship to Cuba, but it would at least be worth looking at. If they can ship it directly so you don't need a "mule" to bring it to you, you would definitely see your money go further. You could have a complete AC Infinity system with environmental controller and lighting for that $1000.

Edit: Is growing weed even legal in Cuba? LoL
As long as you don't get cought selling or distributing, you could argue it's for personal consumption and get away with it. But technically no, it's a minimum 20 years sentence. Smoking is just frowned upon, no one goes to jail for smoking anymore.

Also its a no for Alibaba... Nothing ships to Cuba, only some companies in Miami FL and they take up to 4-6 months to deliver to your household...

What did you think about the phlizon pro 2000w in the last screenshot? Is it good enough for at least a few plants maybe 4-6?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

There's nothing wrong with the light. It's the size of the space you're trying to light. It's 240w so it's more suitable for a 3 x 3 size flowering area. That's my only issue with the light. It's not large enough to completely light a 4 x 4 space.

Zerberus

Zerberus

There's nothing wrong with the light. It's the size of the space you're trying to light. It's 240w so it's more suitable for a 3 x 3 size flowering area. That's my only issue with the light. It's not large enough to completely light a 4 x 4 space.
I can reduce the size of the grow area with a tent to a 3x3 that's not an issue. Just want the plants to flower properly

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I can reduce the size of the grow area with a tent to a 3x3 that's not an issue. Just want the plants to flower properly
Smaller size space means fewer plants and/or flipping to 12/12 when they are smaller. Too bad you can't grow a few plants outside. It would be cheaper by far.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Smaller size space means fewer plants and/or flipping to 12/12 when they are smaller. Too bad you can't grow a few plants outside. It would be cheaper by far.
I can grow outside, i just can't flower, it's impossible for me to flower outside because of the smell, my house here is literally the most centric house in the city 😂 i would only need that lamp for seedlings and flowering cuz veg stage i can do outside

Zerberus

Zerberus

I think i can manage it if i put my plants on a 3 week difference of cycles, that way I can flower 3-4 at a time, once those are done i can move the rest in for flowering
I can grow outside, i just can't flower, it's impossible for me to flower outside because of the smell, my house here is literally the most centric house in the city 😂 i would only need that lamp for seedlings and flowering cuz veg stage i can do outside

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

A common rule of thumb for selecting wattage of an LED light is to have 30 watts per square foot. Thus, a 4x4 tent with 16 square feet should have 480 watts of LED power. (16 x 30 = 480)

I'm not running a 4x4 tent now. When I did, I used 2 ViparSpectra XS2000 lights. They are rated at 240 watts each. They seemed to work well in that tent. The company has upgraded their lights since then, though. It's possible the newer lights are pushing that 30-watt rule of thumb downward.

E

elusiveshame

I was thinking something like this... Is it any good?

This light system
View attachment 1345111

It looks like it has similar specs to the one I bought recently (they don’t have the bundle I got anymore, only 1/4 of the the lights for $70, so almost $300 now as opposed to $210.

here’s how that grow is looking in my 4x4:
1E79D601 5988 451A A54B 920B8A70BEC6

If I were looking to buy, I would risk the one you posted.

Here’s the page I bought mine from (only has the 1000w available, not the 4000w): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08BZP6T5Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

A common rule of thumb for selecting wattage of an LED light is to have 30 watts per square foot. Thus, a 4x4 tent with 16 square feet should have 480 watts of LED power. (16 x 30 = 480)

I'm not running a 4x4 tent now. When I did, I used 2 ViparSpectra XS2000 lights. They are rated at 240 watts each. They seemed to work well in that tent. The company has upgraded their lights since then, though. It's possible the newer lights are pushing that 30-watt rule of thumb downward.
The higher efficiency lights are pushing that 30w per sq ft downward a bit. I'm just not certain how much. In my opinion it's better to have a bit more watts than you need and then dim down to suite the particular strain. So with that in mind, 30w per sq ft is still a nice round number to work with. It helps you avoid going too overboard when choosing a light. The reflective walls of the tent add a bit of light back into the grow as well. The OP should be happy with his choice.

Top Bottom