Whats best for cleaning nutrient salts?

• Thread starter whatupdoc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whatupdoc

whatupdoc

Ive got a lot of buildup in my soil from using tap water. Whats the best nutrient for cleaning out my medium/root zone in order to get my ladies back to using the nutes I give them?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Drip clean is good, but there's nothing wrong with just really sluicing out the soil with lots of water. They're salts, so they will disslove in the water and as it runs through and out it will carry the salts with it. You'll need to help them drain afterwards so they don't drown, and you might give them a day or two in the light nutes environment before adding anything else. In fact, you may be surprised at the lil growth spurt they put on!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks TTY. Another note about drip clean. . .it is meant to be used from start to finish. Apparently it can cause problems if you just throw it into the mix randomly.

outwest

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

thanks guys, i appreciate it. ive been flushing with a lot of water lately, and been really light on nutes, but soil pH is constantly staying low (5.0-5.5), and leaves are showing signs of deficiencies amd dying off. cant seem to single out my problem...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks TTY. Another note about drip clean. . .it is meant to be used from start to finish. Apparently it can cause problems if you just throw it into the mix randomly.

outwest

Good reason for that too; if you start drip clean after a bunch of crud has already built up, the drip clean will knock it all out at once- leading to a big ol' spike in EC and potential lockout issues!

ttystikk

ttystikk

thanks guys, i appreciate it. ive been flushing with a lot of water lately, and been really light on nutes, but soil pH is constantly staying low (5.0-5.5), and leaves are showing signs of deficiencies amd dying off. cant seem to single out my problem...

If you've been flushing for awhile now, then yes, you'll see signs of deficiencies because you're starving the plants. You want to flush well, and then get on with your nute program.

monkeymun

monkeymun

I prefer flushing too. Always try to stick to the KISS mentality.

B

Burned Haze

I use dripclean all watering , make sure to be careful and use for the grt go or it will release too fast. I believe theta said use 1/4 if you don't use it from the start. .3 per gallon

Chobble

Chobble

If you've been flushing for awhile now, then yes, you'll see signs of deficiencies because you're starving the plants. You want to flush well, and then get on with your nute program.

What Tty said.

Basiclly what you want to do is feed your plant once a week and flush it maybe twice if your still having problems.

Generally flushing solutions are pointless and dont work that well...

Chobble

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

What Tty said.

Basiclly what you want to do is feed your plant once a week and flush it maybe twice if your still having problems.

Generally flushing solutions are pointless and dont work that well...

Chobble

i feel that. thanks guys. i appreciate the help. still cant figure out why soil ph is still so low, even though ive flushed plenty with 7.0 water... :-/. ill get back to feeding and see where that gets me. this whole run has been a nightmare lol

Chobble

Chobble

i feel that. thanks guys. i appreciate the help. still cant figure out why soil ph is still so low, even though ive flushed plenty with 7.0 water... :-/. ill get back to feeding and see where that gets me. this whole run has been a nightmare lol

What type of soil are you using... I guess that could be the problem?...

S

StonerB

I think the problem with the PH and the salt build-up are one and the same. Most nutrient salts are acidic and when built up will cause a more acidic rhizosphere until they are flushed out. I would be curious to see how you are testing your soil PH because if its a stick in the dirt analog type you are only getting a vague guess. I would suggest to flush with plenty of RO water and check not only the PH but the EC or TDS of the runoff. This will give a more accurate idea of whats happening in the root zone. On the flip side when going to RO water be sure to keep an eye on your levels of Ca and Mag. Also when you use as much water thats required to flush soil you are literally over watering the shit out of it so the yellowing could be a lack of oxygen. If you have/had a build up, the deffiency is not a lack of nutes but rather a lack of your plant being able to absorb them. You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink. Once you see the benefits of pure water you will never go back.

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

Yeah, Ive been watering with straight water and a little hygrozyme to try to break down some of what is built up in there. looks to be working. you guys know if theres a way to upload pics from an ipad? id be able to update my journal and show you guys what im workin with lol

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yeah, Ive been watering with straight water and a little hygrozyme to try to break down some of what is built up in there. looks to be working. you guys know if theres a way to upload pics from an ipad? id be able to update my journal and show you guys what im workin with lol

Unfortunately uploading photos via a web app is not possible with iOS.

outwest

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

ah, bummer...looks like ill have to bump new computer up on my list of things to get...

Darth Schwag

Darth Schwag

I would recommend flushing twice using warmed (90F) Reverse Osmosis, DeIonized water to dissolve the salts and get them outta there. Salts usually buffer the pH strongly in their pH band.

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

thanks for the help, guys. i now understand how important flushing really is. didnt anticipate how much of a pain it would be to flush 60+ ladies. the next run will have far less plants, and theyll be in smart pots in trays. runoff checks will be much more managable that way lol

Top Bottom