whats best heat source for inital purge

• Thread starter Shivaskunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shivaskunk

Hi i hace been making shatter for a while now but i have been using a slow cooker double boil method for my inital purge befor vacuum oven. But i want to get rid of the water as i know it is bad for my bho.
I am woundering what all use are using ?

Im in the uk
I have bought a griddle over here but it heats up to 250f as soon as it comes on
Then i have had a new presto griddle sent over from the usa becuse i hace seen a lot ove people online use them. witch is 110v i put a plug adaptor on it (not a step down transformer) and it heats up to 250f as soon as it comes on as well. Witch is higher than what the griddle is set at. do i need a step down transformer for it to work properly ? Or is ther anything else that i could use witch would do the job. As the only step down transformer i can get for the correct watts is 350 pounds and ave not got the money for it the now thanks

619ster

619ster

I use an induction cooker, and they are fairly inexpensive. I place my glass Pyrex I extract into on top of a metal cookie pan.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Don't turn the knob on the griddle all the way to the lowest setting.. Just turn it a little bit at a time and check for heat.. you should be able to pull off a very low 80-100F on any presto griddle by just not turning it to the temps on the dial.. turn it to before those and mark the spots so you know for next round.. Get a temp gun as well laster therm.

S

Shivaskunk

I
Don't turn the knob on the griddle all the way to the lowest setting.. Just turn it a little bit at a time and check for heat.. you should be able to pull off a very low 80-100F on any presto griddle by just not turning it to the temps on the dial.. turn it to before those and mark the spots so you know for next round.. Get a temp gun as well laster therm.
I have a temp gun that how i know it is coming on at 250f. N that is as soon as the light turns on and it well befor any of the marks on the griddle. could it be becouse am in the uk and using 240v instead of 110v ? Do i need a step down transformer to change my voltage to get it to work properly ? Or is ther anythong else i could use ?

S

Shivaskunk

I use an induction cooker, and they are fairly inexpensive. I place my glass Pyrex I extract into on top of a metal cookie pan.
Would any induction cooker work ? Or is ther certan kind or anything that i would be looking for. Thanks

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I

I have a temp gun that how i know it is coming on at 250f. N that is as soon as the light turns on and it well befor any of the marks on the griddle. could it be becouse am in the uk and using 240v instead of 110v ? Do i need a step down transformer to change my voltage to get it to work properly ? Or is ther anythong else i could use ?

I could see that as being the possible problem but i'll let an electrician Chime in on that one :D

You could pick up a cheap Hot Plate on ebay scientific style used.. 20-40$ would work and be a little more accurate as far as temp controls go.

J

juggo

A lamp with a lampshade you can put your pyrex on top of with about a 60 watt bulb keeps my concentrate 100-115.Works well for me.

peace,
juggo

S

Shivaskunk

A lamp with a lampshade you can put your pyrex on top of with about a 60 watt bulb keeps my concentrate 100-115.Works well for me.

peace,
juggo

Thanks for the idea but i need something a bit bigger and more reliable lol as doing fairly big runs lol

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

+1 for the nuwave 2.. Bought a 12 quart induction stock pot as well that fit the seal on my vac purger. works great !! DIY vac oven essentially!

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

A 15 on 15 off timer connected to it works pretty smooth as well. Since most heating pads shut off after a certain amount of time. Also helps fine tune the heat in your chamber. Adjust accordingly :)

S

Shivaskunk

+1 for the nuwave 2.. Bought a 12 quart induction stock pot as well that fit the seal on my vac purger. works great !! DIY vac oven essentially!
How do you use with the cooktop ? Dose it not have to be metal as it uses magnets for the heating will it heat glass up the website says glass wont work ? Thanks

S

Shivaskunk

A 15 on 15 off timer connected to it works pretty smooth as well. Since most heating pads shut off after a certain amount of time. Also helps fine tune the heat in your chamber. Adjust accordingly :)

Its not for heatin a chamber as i have a oven.lol. It for the inital purge of the liqud tane i am look for something with steady heat low temp to speed it up lol. Mite try one of them for that though thanks

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

How do you use with the cooktop ? Dose it not have to be metal as it uses magnets for the heating will it heat glass up the website says glass wont work ? Thanks
I bought an induction ready stock pot on amazon. I switched out the stock pot that my vac chamber came with to the induction ready one. Now I can put the chamber directly on the nuwave . works great!!!
MPoF Q8Kbeh2 clTUQrIYEQ

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

If your doing your double boiler right you shouldn't have any issues with water getting into your oil. For my initial purge of the liquid butane I use a double boiler with no heat source. If I put my sink as hot as it goes it comes out right at 120, which works perfect for me for evap'ing the liquid. While I'm sure this takes much longer than using a heat source, I think one of the most important steps in making bho is to take your time. Rushing things almost ensures bad results.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Its not for heatin a chamber as i have a oven.lol. It for the inital purge of the liqud tane i am look for something with steady heat low temp to speed it up lol. Mite try one of them for that though thanks
Speeding things up is NOT a good thing at all. How long is it taking you to purge the liquid now? And how big are your runs?

S

Shivaskunk

Speeding things up is NOT a good thing at all. How long is it taking you to purge the liquid now? And how big are your runs?
I am doing al difrent size runs the smallest is about 9oz it takes me about an hour or so not atctully sure not really timed it it just wait till the is no more bubbles poping then i pop the big bubble if any and give it another 10 15 mins lol but i have to kepp turning the sliw cooker on and off witch is a bit of a pain lol so what your saying is that as long as your water is not to hot then ther shouldnt be a problem? I fot water was bad for bho as the steam is draged back into the coldness of the butane witch will coz water to be in final product and i would also like something with a bit more of a steady temp al the way through. It would mean that ther is no chance of going over you target temp or going under for to long but i just cant seem to find anything in the uk with a liw enough temp. Thanks

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

I am doing al difrent size runs the smallest is about 9oz it takes me about an hour or so not atctully sure not really timed it it just wait till the is no more bubbles poping then i pop the big bubble if any and give it another 10 15 mins lol but i have to kepp turning the sliw cooker on and off witch is a bit of a pain lol so what your saying is that as long as your water is not to hot then ther shouldnt be a problem? I fot water was bad for bho as the steam is draged back into the coldness of the butane witch will coz water to be in final product and i would also like something with a bit more of a steady temp al the way through. It would mean that ther is no chance of going over you target temp or going under for to long but i just cant seem to find anything in the uk with a liw enough temp. Thanks
Your totally right about the steam and condensation. Have you seen it actually getting into your oil? I've noticed a lot of condensation under my collecting dish as well but zero moisture has ever made it above. It's very possible since your doing larger runs, and different equipment, your seeing different results. As for your heat source issue, I honestly cannot think of anything that would give you the lower Temps you need. Maybe a hot plate? The thing is, without using the double boiler, you need the temp pretty low as most of that heat is going to go into your oil. Even with a double boiler, when my water is around 130 my dish gets to 120. Pyrex is a great material for heat transfer haha. My dad is an electrician, I'm going to ask him about your voltage reduction question and I'll let you know.

Top Bottom