What's eating you?

• Thread starter CHILKaT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CHILKaT

This is an indoor plant just started in LST a week ago. I am in a battle with fungus gnats but I'm just not sure what's eating my plant. There were 4 leaves touching the soil, overnight those 4 leaves had their tips gnawed off, only the tips that were touching the soil. I can't find anything on the plant or in the soil besides fungus gnat larvae. :surprised Any ideas? Anyone know if the gnat larvae will eat vegetation? Or an idea of the ninja pest I'm looking for?

pest.jpg

C

CHILKaT

This is the plant as I left it last night. It was moved and in the process a few leaves stuck to the wet soil. You can see the tips in the soil.
LST1.jpg

dlovejah

dlovejah

Fungus gnats are pretty easy to get rid of, unless you have a serious epidemic and there reproducing like crazy in your soil... There are several methods for getting rid of them but one of the best things you can do is simply let your soil dry out more between waterings.. They thrive and live on damp organic material in your soil/grow medium... Little fuckers like really good Coco Coir too. Secondly get yourself some of the yellow test strips and place them on the lids of your buckets or hanging in your grow room... Fungus gnats have stages and the larvae live directly in your medium.... Place potato slices on the top of your medium to draw the larvae into the slices and remove them and replace every few days... Lastly if this wont get rid of them.. it should...Organic sprays can kill the flying gnats but it will damage your vegetation and can only be used in veg...... out of the gamut of pests that can effect cannabis this ones not too bad to control and kill......good luck d.

C

CHILKaT

I do have a serious infestation of gnats, they didn't seem to be a big deal until this last week. There were thousands of larvae in the top soil of this plant, it was wet because it had just been transplanted and watered in and the gnats hit it hard. I've got traps, saucers of beer, and potato chunks going. I have an entire nursery of plants, including tobacco and veggies and I'm just breeding gnats. I hit them all with hydrogen peroxide bath as well. Will have to wait and see how the war goes...so far they(gnats) are winning.

I'm just not sure gnat larvae ate the leaves, so I'm still left with the question, will they do that if there is contact with the soil? The maggots disgust me...I won't rest until I kill them all, even if I have to pick them out of the frackin soil one by one.

I had four black bean plants, they were doing great until I transplanted and put them in my veg room. Within two days every gnat planted itself on the bean plants, they are vining plants, every leaf and all the vines were covered, the plants appeared black from a distance. I couldn't tell what the gnats were doing all over the plant, most of the time they're in the soil, so it had me stumped, but I took them outside and found that at least half of the gnats were dead? but hanging on the plants. I left them outside. Shame, the sun, wind, and then rain, well I don't think the beans are going to make it. But anyway, that's when it got busy, and the amount of eggs those gnats laid is astronomical.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you have a cat? looks like a cat took a few bites. Fungus gnats can do lots damage but I've never heard of or seen them do that. I have had the millions of larvae too. They feed off the decaying root matter in the larvae stage. Some spots will show on the leaf but not really like that. They must be controlled to have a healthy garden but I feel like that is something else. Kill the adult gnats and kill the larvae and see if it stops it.

Definetly some crazy shit in there to do that kinda damage. Vegetarian Godzilla in there or something...lol What ever it is it must die. Unless it's the cat....rlmao

fred

C

CHILKaT

Thanks for the replies

Well Dub, I think that may be the case. They are hungry little bastages and I'm guessing, thousands of them, who knew.

I don't have a cat, or any other animals. The telling sign is that only the part of the leaf that was on the soil was eaten...which kind of leaves a soil bound creature as the culprit.

I removed those leaves, killed a lot of larvae already, and the rest are feasting on potato to be discarded. I will keep this in mind though with future LST, but hopefully I wont have gnats.

I don't have any problems in my bloom room, the 1000 HPS lights keep things dry. My veg room is the main hub of gnatville, things stay moist long enough to breed hordes. :sad0047:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That looks like you've got a great big caterpillar in the room. I've had some species that are extremely difficult to see while small and couldn't find them til they became fat grubs. BT spray does the trick. I don't know what makes them, some kind of moth I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom