Whats going on here. Is this an issue, or not.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I've seen this once before. Cut the plant down, hang it upside down and they all head to that stump. You can see the party, and if there are enough you got spider-mite woodstock.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Looks like mites, when your plants are smaller before this gets out of hand, you stated this was a reoccurring problem, use food grade de earth to kill them off, after this grow bleach down your tent thurowley before you start your next grow, then when your plants are small use the de earth as a preventive measure.

Reactions: Ina
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I've seen this once before. Cut the plant down, hang it upside down and they all head to that stump. You can see the party, and if there are enough you got spider-mite woodstock.

Yea, I've done that one also, thanks

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, I've done that one also, thanks

Thanks, yea I think they might be hiding in the foam panels on the walls. I'm going to remove them after this grow, and do as you say.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Alright, here's what I've done on this front.

Washing with peppermint castile soap every other day. 1TBSP per Quart. I did an Azamax treatment on day one, then soap the next day. Then I washed the plant off with pure 100% clean water, and hung it. The rest (the others that aren't infected) all got mighty wash yesterday, and washed again with peppermint soap today.

I don't EVER harvest plants by date, I only do it by look and feel. I noticed the plant is question was far enough along, so I just removed it. Here it is: After looking at the photo up close, it does appear to have a few seeds. (I like doing this to my plants) Nothing like a few nice big seeds in my Ganja for the next harvest... Plus, this strain is my main go too, so I like spreading it's character into my other strains, while also keeping it a pure line on it's own right.

This is a rather small, but other wise healthy example of my Photoperiod Bubba Kush. After washing it, I suspect it should smoke just fine. The oil production in these buds are so extensive, I don't think the azamax, nor the peppermint castile soap was able to penetrate the buds whatsoever. Only the fan leaves, which will be thrown out. Plus, residue on the exterior of the buds, was easily washed away with the pure water flush.

Plainly stated, this plant was like a well waxed car, or a gore-tex coat, shedding liquids. I truly don't think it will effect the quality whatsoever.

IMG 20200529 191958   Copy
IMG 20200529 191947   Copy
IMG 20200529 191908   Copy
IMG 20200529 191904   Copy
IMG 20200529 191848   Copy
IMG 20200529 182932   Copy
IMG 20200529 182927   Copy
IMG 20200529 182923   Copy
IMG 20200529 182841   Copy
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The offender was removed, and the other remaining girls have been impregnated several times since this happened...

Wash, all to dry, then shortly afterwards, pollinate, repeat the next day. I'll be interested to see how many seeds come from all of this, and if their propagation rates are affected by this bump in the road...

IMG 20200531 191849   Copy
IMG 20200531 191807   Copy
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Bump in the road?? I sure hope so!

I know farmers that had to relocate due to mites......it's no light matter.

You want to first identity which type of mite you have.

The type will tell you the incubation period of the eggs they lay......just ONE female mite can lay hundreds of eggs. The 2 spotted mite can hatch from egg in 3 days, mature sexually in 5 days.....one female lays 20 eggs a day and lives for 2 to 4 weeks......

The eggs are made of freaking titanium!!! Just joking but most poisonous sprays don't kill eggs and the products that will kill the eggs will usually require a plant killing dose!!

If you left just ONE egg alive....and I assure you many survived, and many more will hatch in 3 to 7 days depending on type of mite.... any future grows in that space will get infected.

Timing is everything.....in killing those little bastards!!

The lady bugs work better as a prevention tactic.....you need to build them a home to live and mate in as it's the larve that does the mite eating!! The lady bugs themselves just wanna fu**!! LMAO!

You really need a established colony to be effective with lady bugs.

Stay on them!! You will get'em!!

Anthem

Anthem

I sure hope I never have to deal with spider mites. The stories I have heard make it sound like a losing battle. For what it is worth, I have heard several people getting them and not being able to get raid of them. Basically what TheBioMaster is saying makes sense. Do a treatment and wait for the gestation period and do another treatment. I would probable do a third as well. As mentioned before, spider mites can get into anything and stay for a period of time. They can hang out in the wall outlets, Rack tubing or even the walls or the space between the bottom of the wall and the floor. I think @DreamsOfDiesel had a great idea, he was going to make a really nice environment for the mites and get them to hatch so he could hopefully get them to go away once and for all.
Good luck

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Skipped treatments yesterday. Today I sprayed with Dr. Bonners Peppermint Pure Castile. 1TBSP per Quart. Lot's of air, (Maxx air fan arrived) I'll also try applying some tanglefeet The main suspect here is in the lower left corner. The others appear to have pollinated well, and appear to be "pregnant".

Hopefully, I will get several thousand quality "autoflowers" of several different strains from this group. This appears to be turning into a seed scrog, more than anything. A crowed one at that. I can't imagine the soap or treatments hurting my seed viability. Anyone have any experience with seeds viability and treatments, ie. potential side-effects?
IMG 20200602 160350   Copy

mancorn

mancorn

Have you tried a Spinosad product? It can be used directly to kill spider mites on contact, but can also be used to systematically kill spider mites via the roots. (There's info online that it's especially useful in rockwool as a systemic.) It's best to keep rotating through your arsenal of organic solutions as the mites can quickly build up a resistance to pretty much everything you throw at them.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I sure hope I never have to deal with spider mites. The stories I have heard make it sound like a losing battle. For what it is worth, I have heard several people getting them and not being able to get raid of them. Basically what TheBioMaster is saying makes sense. Do a treatment and wait for the gestation period and do another treatment. I would probable do a third as well. As mentioned before, spider mites can get into anything and stay for a period of time. They can hang out in the wall outlets, Rack tubing or even the walls or the space between the bottom of the wall and the floor. I think @DreamsOfDiesel had a great idea, he was going to make a really nice environment for the mites and get them to hatch so he could hopefully get them to go away once and for all.
Good luck

If you do plants for any amount of time, it's sooner or later, believe me. Best to prepare.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey a big second.
knock on wood its been well over a year since I was visited by those bastards. But I keep a set of solutions on stand by. Never let your cats near your grow. Mites can travel in their hair.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
UPDATE:

Here we go, since doing the mighty wash on the final product of the infested offender, this is what's been done with the remainder in the room since then.

Another medium dose of azamax, and several "washings" every two or three days with a mixture of 1TBSP Dr. Bonners peppermint castile soap per/L and 1tsp of pure canola oil, and pure water, sprayed with a mister. I've also been spraying the walls, since I haven't removed the plants to do a though cleaning since the mite infestation. (I will do that with the next rotation).

Out of the whole bunch, I only see one plant that even looks like a possible suspect, I will keep my eye on it, but so far no sight of webs or eggs.

IMG 20200612 172201   Copy
IMG 20200612 172216   Copy
IMG 20200612 172232   Copy
IMG 20200612 172111   Copy
IMG 20200612 172116   Copy
IMG 20200612 172122   Copy
IMG 20200612 172127   Copy
IMG 20200612 172132   Copy
IMG 20200612 172136   Copy
IMG 20200612 172144   Copy
IMG 20200612 172149   Copy
IMG 20200612 172239   Copy
IMG 20200612 172243   Copy
IMG 20200612 173143   Copy
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, I always do what your saying. Usually after a final wash, then dried under fan, hung upside down on hangers. Sometimes, I even have tanglefeet on the stumps. They sure have an inclination to climb as high as possible.

Anthem

Anthem

If you do plants for any amount of time, it's sooner or later, believe me. Best to prepare.
I was actually talking to a guy that does alot of work for some of the big commercial growers in So Cal and he mentioned something that stuck with me. The big guys out west employee keeping bugs out by basically stopping them before they come in to the grow room. They will treat the outside of the building on a regular bases. So the bugs basically do not want to enter the grow in the first place because it is so uncomfortable before they even get to the grow rooms. I have been spraying around the outside for several months with success, knock on wood

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Another medium dose of azamax

This is why I grow my own. Have you ever heard of CHS?

This is a thing. My old GF got CHS after she started buying from some cat in San Jose. Using neem during veg, being careful to not consume any of that leaf is effective for mites. Never use it anywhere close to flower. Azamax is essentially neem, concentrated. So it seems safe, but I'd never smoke weed I knew had been treated with it. Medical cannabis folks screen for it and tons of weed get tossed in Oregon and other places because of contamination.

I've dealt with mites before, it takes a couple of weeks to complete the treatment cycle.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Best place to treat spider mites is in your bathtub , shower if at all possible , I mist em with neem and soap , let the plants dry and mist them with fresh water , afterwards I steam up the tub and shower area with hot water from the shower head , to eliminate the stinky garlic neem odor .... Or take em outside to treat if that's an option ....
You can win the mite war , just have to be committed

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I know I'm going to take some heat for this.... But we're already eating it...and I find the air in most major cities toxic to me...if I smoked improperly grown weed or anything with any kind of mold on it I need to use an inhaler... Same thing with the last part of a joint all that black resinous stuff... I would never even think about spraying it on my buds as far along as this guy's was... I would probably have a major frown on my face as I washed it off in the bathtub or hose trying not to wash all my crystals off like direwolf said... But having used it once by mistake because the bottle looks like the same bottle of neem oil that I have on the shelf with 100% success I'm posting this pic
Screenshot 20200615 215516

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I know I'm going to take some heat for this.... But we're already eating it...and I find the air in most major cities toxic to me...if I smoked improperly grown weed or anything with any kind of mold on it I need to use an inhaler... Same thing with the last part of a joint all that black resinous stuff... I would never even think about spraying it on my buds as far along as this guy's was... I would probably have a major frown on my face as I washed it off in the bathtub or hose trying not to wash all my crystals off like direwolf said... But having used it once by mistake because the bottle looks like the same bottle of neem oil that I have on the shelf with 100% success I'm posting this picView attachment 986655
Yea, the plants were actually seeded plants, so that was the main goal here. I've since turned to doing washes with only Dr Bonners and a little pure canola oil (1 TBSP Dr Bonner's peppermint castile soap, and 1 tsp of canola oil per Quart). Also, I've done some reading and decided to purchase 2 36 w (UV) lights, to use during the flowering cycle, hoping to increase THC content, while killing any larvae, eggs, ect..

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Hey a big second.
knock on wood its been well over a year since I was visited by those bastards. But I keep a set of solutions on stand by. Never let your cats near your grow. Mites can travel in their hair.

My cat is the worst, he's constantly eating pot leaves and puking them on the floor. Retard. I think he gets stoned that way.

IMG 20200616 185540   Copy
Top Bottom