What's the best chemical Miticide between Avid, Floramite, and Forbid?

• Thread starter lgmlgm76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lgmlgm76

So I've used Avid with Hexagon and they're amazing together but I'm almost out and want to try either Floramite or Forbid for resistance control if I get spider mites again. Can anyone with experience with these two, or other chemical miticides, give some advice before I shell out for these expensive products? I'd like to get away from Avid also since it only kills the adults. I'm hearing much good about all of these yet, supposedly, with Forbid you don't need to spray the bottom of leaves. Any info is much appreciated!!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

All mites build up resistance to them all but I have used Avid for 15+ yeas when needed.

P

paulycali

I've used Floramite before. Fucked up a few of my Og's but that's about it. Great product if you ask me

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

We always need to be careful what we put in our bodies. Avid has been tested and can be used in green houses on vegetables up to 3 days before harvest. It's the toxic effects you need to worry about and your not going to get that from properly used products.

I would be more worried about what they turn into when you carbonize it. (smoke it)

I bet everyone here BBQ's right so you have eaten veggies sprayed with chems for years Just Saying

I have used Avid for 15 years when needed and not grown a second head or third eye.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

AzaMax

Botanical Insecticide, Miticide, and Nematicide

AzaMax is a natural product with a broad spectrum of pest control and broad plant applications. AzaMax is made from special Azadirachtin Technical extracted using patented extraction technology from Neem, a tree known for it’s innumerable benefits. AzaMax contains Azadirachtin A&B as active ingredients and more than 100 limonoids from it’s special technology. The special feature of AzaMax is that it does not use hard chemical solvents and uses food grade formulation ingredients. AzaMax is licensed in all 50 states.
AzaMax is an antifeedant and insect growth regulator and controls pests through starvation and growth disruption. AzaMax effectively controls spider mites, thrips, fungus gnats, aphids, whiteflies, leaf miners, worms, beetles, leafhoppers, scales, mealy bugs, nematodes and other soil borne pests. Best of all, AzaMax can be applied up to the time or day of harvest. The product is exempted from residue tolerance, thus there is no harmful residue on veggies, fruits, herbs and flowers etc. Truly, AzaMax is a product of Nature in tune with Technology.
Lable and directions

Blaze

Blaze

All three can work but be careful when using them and use them sparingly and only when needed. Mites build resistances very quickly so it is really important to rotate what you are using. Ideally you should only be using one miticide a few times a year. So for example if you sprayed with Avid once, next time use Floramite, and the time after that use the Forbid. It is also important to make sure the different miticides you are using have 'different modes of action.' Or in other words, make sure they kill the mites in different ways so they are less likely to build resistance.

Be sure to invest in proper protective equipment as well - you will want a full chemical suite and a full face mask respirator with an organic vapor cartridge. I always like to spray chems like this outside, rather than in the grow room to keep residue and potential contamination to a minimum. I see a lot of people who will wear protective gear when they first apply a product inside, but then will be right back in their room with no protective gear the next day. Well guess what if you just covered your entire room with something that has a two week half life, you are exposing yourself every time you go back in there.

These products can be useful and effective but I think a lot of time people tend to try to down-play their potential health effects. Bifenazate, the active ingredient in Floramite is a suspected reproductive toxin and endocrine distruptor as well as a potential ground water contaminate. Abermectin, the active ingredient in Avid is a known reproductive toxin and endocrine distruptor and on the Pesticide Action Networks (PAN) list of 'Bad Actor' chemicals. Spiromesifen the active chemical in Forbid has no available weight-of-the-evidence summary assessment so its potential health effects are not very well known.

You might also look into other miticides as well. There are some out there that are in my opinion a bit safer, and still effective, such as Akari. UC Davis has several other options listed on their website:

PROPARGITE (Omite)

FENBUTATIN-OXIDE (Vendex)

FENPYROXIMATE (Fujimite)

PYRIDABEN (Nexter and Pyramite)

ABAMECTIN (Agri-Mek)

NARROW RANGE OIL (Saf-T-Side, etc.)

INSECTICIDAL SOAPS (M-Pede)

NEEM OIL (Trilogy)

HEXYTHIAZOX (Savey)

DICOFOL (Kelthane)

Just be safe and smart with what you use, don't be a pesticide retard like so many other people are!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Blaze some good advice, in your list you have included some products that are not knock down killers so they will not work on mites. Neem is one of them you can spray neem till the cows come home and it will not kill them quick it will take weeks and when you have mites you need help right now and a systemic killers like Avid will get the job done with one application. I have found most products that claim they work fall short and the mites are back in 5 to 7 days. Mites are very tough and their breading cycle is 5 to 7 days so you kill the adults and 5 to 7 days later you got new ones. The buggers start to breed as soon as you attack them, smart bastards. Nasty business and do make sure you have the right safety equipment. I use tyvec suit from Homer Depot, safety goggles and a respirator made for stopping air borne particals and rubber gloves. Turn off all fans and exhaust.

P

paperplane

I was just gifted some Forbid from a friend. I have been battling mites my last 3 runs. Cant seem to kill the bastards, but then again I have gotten a lil Lazy here & there. I just sprayed the Forbid a few days ago.
My buddy who gifted it to me says it works really well. I guess I will find out here in about a week or two.

green punk

green punk

I was just gifted some Forbid from a friend. I have been battling mites my last 3 runs. Cant seem to kill the bastards, but then again I have gotten a lil Lazy here & there. I just sprayed the Forbid a few days ago.
My buddy who gifted it to me says it works really well. I guess I will find out here in about a week or two.

Depending on rate of application, use 2ml per gallon. Give it three days reapply. Should be good to go. You may see a few adults for a bit, but they are dying.

Bluzboy

Bluzboy

Organocide, an OMRI product, that is fish oil, sesame oil, and rosemary oil is what I use in my veg room and through the first 21 days of bloom for misguided molesting mite colonists thinking of moving in on my girls. Really works well if you can get by the fish oil smell that exists for a few hours after. I use the Organocide up to the 3rd week of flowering and then just rotate Mega Wash, Neem Oil or Azamax regimens/applications the next 4 to 6 weeks and then just use Mega Wash for any outbreaks during the last 2 weeks of bloom. I like the Organocide as it kills eggs, larvae, and adults, all three on application. In veg, I use the stuff once a week with a Neem Oil or Azamax mid-week. Have not had to use mitacide systemics with this method as of yet. This Organocide is very inexpensive and is like 20 bucks from off Amazon or at Lowes, for a quart of concentrate you can make 28 gallons with. You can drench this Organocide on a web covered plant and an hour later 99 percent of the molesting low life mite bastards and their kin are dead. Drench again 3 to 7 days later and the plant "crabs" are gone off your ladies. Again, some folks find the tuna boat smell a little harsh but with good garden ventilation the New Orleans cannery smell is gone in a couple of hours. Also, no IMAD's in it and don't hurt the Bee's, toads, frogs, birds, fish, Bambi, Thumper, etc....
Bluzboy

Organocide
Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Bump worthy. Mighty Wash splits the bastards in half like a micro samurai opened his katana on them.
Guardian is also safe. Green Clean too.

That said, safer(ish) pesticides are my next escalation. I have small bottles of Floramite, Avid, Forbid from eBay. Have protective gear and good mask, even extra layers.

Garage area had cracks galore. Shocked light didnt escape! Great Stuff sealed all over the mofo. Sealed concrete cracks too with cement caulk. NO MORE HIGHWAYS IN. Next break after round, adding frames and drywall, and maybe a cheap used darkroom door, instead of giant pandafilm sheet up now.

The challenge with organics and safer, gentler mite controls is they dont last more than a week or so, though many effective. Our meds go to vulnerable people, so late flower raid bombs and HotShots and such insanity is in no way happening.

Organocide and Mighty Wash make rooms reek badly, but work. Just need reapplication 2x a week til flower. Guardian smells like pumpkin pie.

@Blaze - cannot thank you enough for your suggestions and list. I hit with Dr Doom and other brand pyrethrin bombs after sealing cracks all over, but considering Pylon TR bombs just to be sure? Wish more miticides came in TR can foggers...

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

You'll want to go Walter white and suit up for the guardian, they pulled it off the shelves a while back because the found avermectin in it, cousin of abamectin, same active ingredient as avid.
Ahh.. yeah Oregon pulled it. They had to rework it.
Mighty Wash pulled ALL product in OR to put out only bottles labeled with ingredients.

Im not a fan of sneaking in harder miticides, but isnt Avid on the shallow end of the danger pool? Again, uncool not to label. If only because they'll evolve past it then you're boned....

420Artie

420Artie

don't know if was mentioned but if you can get your grow room to 120f for one hour that also kills mites and eggs. after spraying poisons in veg that's what I did in flower.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Ahh.. yeah Oregon pulled it. They had to rework it.
Mighty Wash pulled ALL product in OR to put out only bottles labeled with ingredients.

Im not a fan of sneaking in harder miticides, but isnt Avid on the shallow end of the danger pool? Again, uncool not to label. If only because they'll evolve past it then you're boned....

Give this a read, homie. http://www.syngentacropprotection.com/assets/assetlibrary/miticide_rotation.pdf

And stick to the spray intervals on the individual miticide labels, most are a week apart, even when you're dealing with a full-on infestation.

They spray an equivalent of avid from airplanes in citrus crops all over the place, I'm not gonna say it's safe, but it only persists in plant tissue on which it was initially applied. And the leafs present during veg in most cases are long gone before you start seeing flowers.

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Weekly spray rotating Avid Forbid and Florimite. Also do a potassium carbonate spray and some Organocide every 2 weeks. No bugs no mildew no problems.

I tried the organic route going indoors and had a lot of success. Found out the hard way you have to go Hardcore Henry on them MFrs when in a greenhouse. Dumped all the organics and I'm a chemical farmer now lol.

Top Bottom