What's the best deal for 1000 watt hps lamp and ballast?

• Thread starter tygable
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tygable

i have done a lot of research trying to decide where i want to buy my next 1000 watt light (hps). what i want is a quality light for the best price. sometimes i mention that i want a good price and people assume i mean something cheap and of poor quality. thats not what i want. i am just trying to find a complete 1000 watt hps with a good bulb (hortilux, ushio, digilux, etc.) id like to get an electronic ballast (preferably lumatek) and bulb that do not make the rattling noise. now i know that this is a pricey set-up. ive overpaid for lights in the past. i know ill have to spend some money, thats no problem. i just want the best bang for my buck. anyone know of any good complete hps 1000w digital system deals out there. if so id greatly appreciate the help. i can hunt the good deals on stuff that is individual.i haven't had the same luck buying lights. last time i got one, i was sure i got a good deal, then later found the same thing for about 60 buck cheaper. please help me avoid that this time. thanks farmers!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I personally recommend solis tek ballasts with ushio bulbs. The solis teks are the shit, they are dimmable, will run 400, 600, or 1000 watt bulbs in mh or hps, they also have a built in delayed start so that when your ballasts fire up they stagger so you dont blow breakers. Additionally they are the only digis that work seamlessly with a flip box (other than quantums) and they have a feature similar to lumatek super lumen, it is called solis boost. I would say that the Phantom ballast are my second choice but they are a bit screwy with a flip box.

T

tygable

havent heard much about soils tek. but im interested. ill look into them. also what do you mean by a flip box?

T

tygable

oh ok like a powerbox (atleast thats what i know them as) . im still running on 120v. i want to switch to 240. im not certain how to do that. perhaps ill start a new thred on how to install the outlet. i know i wont be able to do it myself and will need an electrician.

I

ibTheMan

Broski! ive delt with this seller for years and never one problem, and i cant fuckn believe how cheap he's selln these cRaZy!

Bulbs also the newest E ballast bulbs smoken deal=

Smoken Deal, great seller. If u need ah reflector get ah xxxl 6 or blockbuster 6 locally.

T

tygable

thanks man that is cheap, but ive heard bad things about ebay sellers. its god though that you vouch for this one. do you know if he sells the.latest model lumatek ballast?

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

The thing about Ebay is the return Policy. Good luck if you shit breaks and you need to return it. They will be all "Sure just send it in and we will get that taken care of for your" meanwhile you are out of a light for 2-3 weeks which will quickly negate the money you save. IF I purchase ballasts on Ebay I will only do it if I also purchase the same type of ballast from a bricks and mortar store first so If I get a problem I can return the ebay ballast with the other reciept (Dirty but fuck it, the manufacture is ultamately responsible not the hydro shop!) Switching to 240 is easy without an electrician if you dont mind giving up your dryer or stove 12 hours of the day. They also sell boxes that you can simply plug into your dryer plug, then you plug in your dryer to the box and a MLC 8 with a dryer style plug also into the box. THe box will allow you to use your dryer while the lights are off but will switch the power to your lights via contact relays when your lights come on and you never have to unplug the lights or dryer( if you are running digis you can run 4-6 lights with this setup depending on if you have a 3 or 4 wire dryer).

BCrocker

BCrocker

Ive ran lumateks without much issue... Have had some bad 600 watt ones, before the built in breaker... The ones with the fuse sucked

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Honestly I cant complain about my lumatek digis. They were my first digital ballast (the purple ones) and I have run em for about 5 solid years with no problems. They dont have all the bells and whistles that the solis teks do, and I forgot to mention that if you are in a med state that requires inspection, solis teks are UL listed and approved which I think makes them the only digis that are as far as I know.

catdaddy

catdaddy

Honestly I cant complain about my lumatek digis. They were my first digital ballast (the purple ones) and I have run em for about 5 solid years with no problems. They dont have all the bells and whistles that the solis teks do, and I forgot to mention that if you are in a med state that requires inspection, solis teks are UL listed and approved which I think makes them the only digis that are as far as I know.

how many watts and which bulb? the reason i ask is because i have a 1k and i am stuck on which bulb to get without having to worry about if it's not compatible or not. thanks in advance.

Cort

Cort

Check with your local shops. You might be shocked at how low they are willing to go for a package deal. Add to that the security of having that brick and mortar store willing to make things right. Most of the staff at places like that grow too, and can be good sources of info.

If they were willing to get close to the price I would pay on ebay, Id do it. When you need a bulb or some bug killer NOW, that brick and mortar store will be there because you spent some cash in it. Some things just take too long to wait for mail.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I keep hearing about the return issues with Lumatek ballasts from my local hydro shop- and they carry them! I'd say since they have a vested interest in selling the things, they wouldn't say anything bad about them unless they really did have a lot of problems.

I have yet to buy a ballast or a hood brand new at a retail store, I've bought EVERYTHING I have via Craigslist, or refurbished. For example, there's a grower's consignment shop here in Denver. I'm pretty sure there are other major cities with something similar, or at least the 'used/refurb' shelf at your hydro store. The money I've saved has allowed me to get my buildout done MUCH faster than if I shelled out retail. Yes, I've had the odd failure- a magnetic ballast blew its capacitor, and that same local hydro store had the expertise to fix it within hours. You'll need your local guys, develop a good rapport with two stores if you can.

If you're set on getting a digital ballast, I hear good things about the Solis Tek line. I run standard bulbs with my digital ballasts and I haven't had a problem, yet. If you're worried, SunPulse lighting advertises their bulbs are built to be compatible with digital ballasts.

'Powerbox' is a brand name, and they sell power control equipment. A 'flipbox' is their brand name for a relay box that will 'flip' output power from a ballast between two hoods based on a trigger cord from a timer. There are other, far less expensive flipbox units out there than Powerbox's brand, mostly because they don't spend all the marketing dollars.

This is a good one, less expensive than most, I hear good things about it.

You can safely run one 1000w bulb and magnetic ballast on a standard 15 amp 120v circuit. Don't run anything else on it. And, don't hook your ballast to it through a long extension cord...

I've repurposed my own dryer outlet. The 3 wire plug is 30 amps, you can very safely run 4 x 1000W setups on that, less safely up to 6. The 4 wire plug is generally 40 amp to the dryer, 50 to the stove, you can run more hoods on those of course. Try not to run more than 80% of the rated amps on any given circuit. Whatever you do, if you decide to play electrician, DO NOT just swap out the circuit breaker on the line for one with a higher rating, or you risk turning your wiring into the breaker- and when it gets red hot due to an overload, it WILL burn your fuckin' house down, and maybe you with it!

If you want to save some money, buy and install a gas dryer, then the 30 amp outlet is yours to do whatever you want with, 24/7. Gas is much cheaper to dry your clothes with than electricity. Same goes for gas vs. electric stoves...

When I needed to run 8 x 1000W hoods, I ran a dedicated 6 gauge line from my circuit breaker panel to my Sentinel HGH-8 controller. I used a 50 amp surface mount 4 wire outlet to plug it into, since my controller was used and already had a 4 way pigtail on it. Since the circuit I built (Overbuilt? Maybe, but my irreplacable ass is worth it! Isn't yours?) was then well up to the job of handling 50 amps, I had no qualms about installing a 50 amp breaker in my panel.

Man, power is no place to skimp on safety, even if you do need to save a few bucks. I am not a shy person, and I straight up asked some local firemen if they'd ever been on a call to a house where the grow caused the fire, and they ALL said YES. More than once. "Most" of the victims survived to face charges for growing, code violations, endangering minors, etc... Don't let that poor bastard be you.

G

growgrow

go with a generic magnetic ballast 1k watt .. hortilux bulb .... and a cheap vented hood.... ur local shop should b able to do it all for like 280....

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

Solis-Tek has bulbs made specifically to burn with their ballast, i don't doubt for a minute they're bad ass bulbs.

Top Bottom