Whats the best Silica additive?

• Thread starter cardrack111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

The label on my jug of hydro-gardens stuff says...

Potassium Silicate
Thsi product is highly alkaline and will precipitate when put in with acidic nutrient solutions. It is best watered in by itself. Water should be ph adjusted to 7.0 Apply weekly.

For a direct mix - use 3 ounces (84ml) per 100 gallons of water. This would give you about 100 ppm of Si.

For folar spray 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) per gallon of water which is about 100 ppm of Si.

Used primarily on cucumbers to reduce powdery mildew problems.

kind of neat

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Darn Jalisco beat us again, or at least it looks like so far.

10 Litres (2.5 gallons) is 25.73

although it does not give the concentration rate, it appears from the application rate for hydroponics 1tsp or 5ml/5 gallons that this is very concentrated.

hydro-gardens application rate is 4.2 ml per 5 gallons so I would guesstimate that the concentration is just below hydro-gardens. perhaps around 20%

But this does make it the cheapest way to go....only problem is the 2.5 gallon size for shipping.

They do sell a 1 quart size for 12.66

What is odd there though that both are potassium silicate solutions, and both have 3% potash which is the potassium quantity. This makes one believe that both are the same strengths, because they both have the same K value from their potassium silicate. Odd part is they both have different application rates, both for hydroponics but one says 1tsp/5 gallons, and the other says 2tsp/gallon

odd

I already bought hydro-gardens potassium silicate a while ago..so I won't research this too much but it is interesting
Of course he did! Thanks for sharing, jk.
There other products look to be of quality as well. No urea or metals. tykaycha recently enlightened me to grow-more.

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

yellow bottles for the win. before that i ordered barricade before they watered it down// i do hope the guys that buy rhino skin do realize they buying 99% water and 1% SILICATE.......... 1 bottle of yellow bottles and you could make your own drum or more i bet at that rate of 1%

big mike knows how to suck um in.......:icon_spin:

U

ugmjfarmer

Advanced, Highest prices, not-the-best performance, biggest zealots. Their silica really shows it. They have a huge sales pitch on how their silica was the only one that works, but they cannot back up the science on this at all.

"That's why they experimented with many different types of silica, as well as different concentrations and manufacturing methods. They found that the form of potassium silicate used in Rhino Skin produced the highest crop silicate percentages."

Potassium Silica is only available in one form chemically, I have no idea what kind of crap they are trying to sell there. Also they want you to use 2 mL per Liter. At $80 a 4L, this is $0.16 per gallon. Botanicare Silica Blast is $0.027 (roughly based on a $35 gallon cost and 3ml/gal application rate).

dextr0

dextr0

Potassium Silicate Agricultural Fertilizer Grade Products
Product Name AgSil™ 25H MSDS
%K2O 24.25 ANSI Top of Page
%SiO2 60.65
%H2O 15.1
Description Hydrous powder

Product Name AgSil™ 25A MSDS
%K2O 28.4 ANSI Top of Page
%SiO2 71
%H2O 0
Description Anhydrous powder

Product Name AgSil™ 25F MSDS
%K2O 28.4 ANSI Top of Page
%SiO2 71
%H2O 0
Description 1 inch flakes

budboy299

budboy299

I tried to email them before dextr0, but they never returned my emails.

if anyone orders from them please let us know.

dizzlekush

dizzlekush

and that product "hydro-grow potassium silicate" doesn't seem to exist. also yellow bottle bloom silicate has been taken off the market for some reason. yellow bottle no longer carries it. my guess is a drop splashed into someones eye, they went blind and sued the company... waayyy too concentrated to be selling to the public, people don't know how caustic the chemicals they buy are.

so the winner. Dyna Gro PRo-Tekt

J

Jalisco Kid

I get silo-tec 7.5% silicate and 3% K cost me 22.50 for a case of 2) 2.5 gal jugs. JK

budboy299

budboy299

dizzlekush...it is hydro-gardens not hydro-grow. If you are talking about what I referred to. The link is....

Potassium Silicate KSiO2 (26.5% SiO2) 1 Gal $18.95

ANY of the potassium silicon supplements will work...just pointing out cost effective solutions.

Shit sorry dizzlekush....it was me that typed it in as hydro-grow. I should of typed hydro-gardens. I must of had a foggy moment there! apologies man for sending you on a search of something that did not exist!

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

yea I was siked when reading the earlier post about yellow bottle but now doing my own research yea its really hard to find

H

highstandards

anyone notice any negative effects from overdoing the silica?

if so how much was too much silica?

J

Jalisco Kid

Branches will snap off. plus those that use a lot for pH effects screw up the plants internal chemistry. lowers immune sys.

G

Gaval

Branches will snap off. plus those that use a lot for pH effects screw up the plants internal chemistry. lowers immune sys.

so if i have this correct at a res change ill put the protekt in before the rest of the nutes, and then use my nutes to bring the ph back down so I dont over do it?

T

theTinker

so if i have this correct at a res change ill put the protekt in before the rest of the nutes, and then use my nutes to bring the ph back down so I dont over do it?

well if your worried about overdoing the silica. Then put nutes in, use silica at the dose desired for the plant health and not for PH uping. Then use PH up/down to correct the PH issue. Most people only need a small amount of less than the ok dosage of 1ml/liter to correct ph. I think i use about 10-15ml for my PH requirements of a 100 liter tank. Its quite strong like.

T

theTinker

Ive been using the rhino skin at 15 teaspoon for a 30 gal, and didnt see a big difference, I upped it to 30 teaspoon for a 30 gal and the shit made the stems real thick.

30 teaspoons per 30 gallons, thats about 1ml per liter right?

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I use protek as well. I actually just ran out of my barricade stash but I like proteckt better as it's easier to work with.

Top Bottom