Whats the best way to clean out an indoor irrigation system?

• Thread starter flavasavor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flavasavor

flavasavor

I have the Hydrolock irrigation system for my grow built with PVC pipes. Salt-based nutrients. I don't have access to Biosafe products atm and would like to find something local that I can use instead. Would bleach, then flush with water, hydrogen peroxide, then flush with water again, then cleaning vinegar, then flush with water, be a good solution? They say to use nitric, phosphoric, or sulfuric acid but I haven't the slightest clue where to purchase any of those, so was thinking of cleaning vinegar as a substitute.

quirk

quirk

I have the Hydrolock irrigation system for my grow built with PVC pipes. Salt-based nutrients. I don't have access to Biosafe products atm and would like to find something local that I can use instead. Would bleach, then flush with water, hydrogen peroxide, then flush with water again, then cleaning vinegar, then flush with water, be a good solution? They say to use nitric, phosphoric, or sulfuric acid but I haven't the slightest clue where to purchase any of those, so was thinking of cleaning vinegar as a substitute.
If you go with vinegar, use the high test, not the 5% Heinz from the grocery store.

DSCN2175
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Here's my turnover process:

- Soak pumps, filters, anything I can fit in a tote that had any solution run through it in a high concentration solution of bleach water, like 1 part bleach to 5 parts water. Soak for 24 hours or so.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat soak with 10ml/gal 34% H2o2. Again, 24 hours.
- Rinse with water.
- Reassemble everything, and run the system in a recirculating fashion non-stop for an hour with high concentration bleach.
- Rinse with water, running the same way.
- Repeat the above two steps again, but with the H2o2 solution.
-Rinse with water.
- Thoroughly dry everything.

Some people run isopropyl alcohol through as well, but I feel like anything that survives the onslaught of highly corrosive compounds will probably survive alcohol too. Any 1/4" lines (feed lines) get replaced every run.

If you can't fit stuff in a tote (like long lengths of PVC), scrub the outside down with soap, then rubbing alcohol, then h2o2, and just run the caustic solutions through as mentioned above. Should be good to go.

flavasavor

flavasavor

- Soak pumps, filters, anything I can fit in a tote that had any solution run through it in a high concentration solution of bleach water, like 1 part bleach to 5 parts water. Soak for 24 hours or so.
- Rinse with water.
- Rinse with water.
- Reassemble everything, and run the system in a recirculating fashion non-stop for an hour with high concentration bleach.
-Rinse with water.

Some people run isopropyl alcohol through as well, but I feel like anything that survives the onslaught of highly corrosive compounds will probably survive alcohol too. Any 1/4" lines (feed lines) get replaced every run.

If you can't fit stuff in a tote (like long lengths of PVC), scrub the outside down with soap, then rubbing alcohol, then h2o2, and just run the caustic solutions through as mentioned above. Should be good to go.
Where do you get 34 percent hydrogen peroxide at?

N

NYGrownCannabis

Thanks

- Rinse with water.
- Rinse with water.
-Rinse with water.

Thanks. Just want to confirm that your H2o2 solution is 10ml of H2o2 to 1 gallon of water. Is this correct?

Top Bottom