Whats the best way to pass wires and ducting through walls?

• Thread starter Herban Legend
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Herban Legend

I am looking to cut my 6" holes in the drywall for venting my lights and want it to look good and be sealed well. I also would like to cut a hole for the wires to hoods to pass through so I can keep the ballasts outside the growroom.

What options do I have to make this look good without screwing up the walls or ceiling? .I have a rotozip so I can cut nice holes any size I like, im just looking to find ideas to make the edges tight and nice looking like plastic rings or something?

DeRail

DeRail

use ducting for the air flow and use a piece of PVC for the cords and stuff it with something to seal the hole.and painters caulk to seal the edges and leave a clean look

sedate

sedate

Herban Legend said:
I have a rotozip so I can cut nice holes any size I like, im just looking to find ideas to make the edges tight and nice looking like plastic rings or something?

No no. Too much firepower for delicate drywall work.

Use a utility knife with a fresh blade - work slowly and deliberately with a cut-out.

DeRail said:
something to seal the hole.and painters caulk to seal the edges and leave a clean look

A 'clean' drywall look shouldn't include caulking.

It should include a clean, strait cuts and a clean, screwed in junction boxes.

If you end up using caulk for something - you did it wrong.

G

Green Supreme

Fish tape for wiring. Gets ya where ya wanna go. Peace GS

convex

convex

Stove Pipe Wall Trim Collars for the duct.

Dunno if you are worried about being code compliant with the light cords, but you may find that in your locale running cords or extensions through a wall is a no go ...
Junction boxes either side of the wall with approved wiring through wall between boxes would be clean and acceptable.

Cheers

H

Herban Legend

Stove Pipe Wall Trim Collars for the duct.

Dunno if you are worried about being code compliant with the light cords, but you may find that in your locale running cords or extensions through a wall is a no go ...
Junction boxes either side of the wall with approved wiring through wall between boxes would be clean and acceptable.

Cheers

Thanks, the stove pipe wall trim collars are exactly what im looking for to make the ducts look nice. I just didnt know what they were called until now hehe.I will have to ask my electrician about the junction box when he comes over this week. I am not too worried about code moreso that I am a nice tight fit and look.

E

ent

they make 6" hole saws if you wanna pick up one of those. use a 6" duct flange on each side of the wall if you're into the "looks".

pvc for electrical. maybe some type of neoprene insert to seal it up.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
how is a roto zip too much firepower for sheetrock? thats what its made for lol

DeRail

DeRail

let your electrician know you will need a 2" EMT for the lamp cords unless you want to cut them (assuming you are talking about the cord from the ballast to the lamp the heads are about 1 1/2 inches wide) I will need to look in my code book but i believe you will need a 8x8 J box on each side for 2" conduit if i remember correct the box needs to be 4X the size of the Yoke (EMT connector) if you really want to be up to code the cords will need yokes with SO connectors and maybe strain reliefs depends on your local code.
PS I have been a electrician for 19 years

I thought you were looking for a quick easy install to do yourself but if you have a electrician he will know what is up to the local codes

hiboy

hiboy

I always cut the ducting holes a hair smaller and its a nice tite fit. The ductiing can flex a little, i've had good luck doing this. Electrical lines a different story, depends if its hard conduit or romex style. As long as it's air tite, lite sealed then drywall mud or caulk type adhesive works well.
Good luck

sedate

sedate

Herban Legend said:
Yea I was kinda like huh? Ill take my perfect round cuts with a rotozip over a knife cut hole anyday hehe.

Um.

If you are installing a junction box into finished drywall, a rotozip is an absurd tool to use.

Sort of the proverbial shotgun-cum-flyswatter, if you ask me.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

I just took a 2in hole saw (or use your rotozip it will perfect) cut a hole in the wall pushed a piece of 2in gray conduit through the hole and sprayed expanding foam into the hole once I had all my wires through, and then put a bead of caulking all the way around the conduit on both sides.

Btw if you let the conduit overhang about an 1/8 inch or less on both sides it makes it super easy to caulk around it and seal it up. In the end I hung panda wrap over the walls and the wire came right through the panda wrap and looked super clean.

This isnt to code but it will work perfect.
<-----Resident A license contractor

T

tomsawyer

Rotozip on drywall is a good way to make a big mess! Also tought o contol that spinning blade.

Utility knife or a keyhole saw is much more practical. Have fun!

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

These wall sleeves are nice for your wires.

Wall-Sleeve-2WUL3_AS01.JPG

for ducting they sell flanges in sizes 4" - 12". you can use them for your wall penetrations. Just put one on each side of the wall.

AFADFK06.jpg

good luck with your room build

-CW

Giddeon

Giddeon

These wall sleeves are nice for your wires.

Wall-Sleeve-2WUL3_AS01.JPG

-CW

Off topic kinda sorry but these are also good when installing Split unit AC for running coolant lines through walls.

And I re-modle peoples houses and when they want 20 new junction boxes in different spots no way am I going to use a Knife, I string out a cord and turn on my ROTOZIP, every cut clean and each hole doesn't take me 15 min.

B

Bunz

And I re-modle peoples houses and when they want 20 new junction boxes in different spots no way am I going to use a Knife, I string out a cord and turn on my ROTOZIP, every cut clean and each hole doesn't take me 15 min.

Agreed. If you know how to properly use the tool, the job will turn out fine.

Top Bottom