whats the best way to quiet my inline fan

• Thread starter NBfrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NBfrost

hey all , wondering how i can quiet my inline fan ? i have a tornado 6 " inline fan .. coming from a mountain air 6 " filter

U

UGK 4 Life

What up NBfrost. Assuming your fan is just attached to scrubber then blowing it back in the room, you can just use a length of insulated duct or you can buy a muffler from phresh or can. If you go the insulated duct route, use at least three times the diameter of your fan, so in your case 18".

aleYarok

aleYarok

What up NBfrost. Assuming your fan is just attached to scrubber then blowing it back in the room, you can just use a length of insulated duct or you can buy a muffler from phresh or can. If you go the insulated duct route, use at least three times the diameter of your fan, so in your case 18".
this.

we switched from regular duct to insulated duct. i couldn't believe how much quieter it made the fan!

dankworth

dankworth

The insulated ducting is a great solution. The fan itself can be contained in a box made of soundboard, or maybe look at Dynamat(sound-deadening foil-tape type stuff). There is more detailed info on Dynamat in a thread on this site I think.

I use a gate and a driveway a tenth of a mile long to deal with sound issues personally.
But this is not a solution for everyone.

I will say that I like the 8" blower from Harbor Freight for 75.00 that pulls 1584 cfms. Rig an 8" neck with a 10" to 8" reducer and some tin snips and foil tape. Or buy the harbor freight orange 8" plastic ducting that mates directly to an unmodified 8" blower. Then get a speed controller. Then insulate for sound.

I pull over 1500 cfms for like $100 that way.

I got the idea from an episode of MacGuyver where he used one of those blowers to vent an 8k room like Dynamite here at this site.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
DIY Fan Muffler

DIY Sound insulate your cannon fan

S

Sasha

The insulated ducting is a great solution. The fan itself can be contained in a box made of soundboard, or maybe look at Dynamat(sound-deadening foil-tape type stuff). There is more detailed info on Dynamat in a thread on this site I think.

I use a gate and a driveway a tenth of a mile long to deal with sound issues personally.
But this is not a solution for everyone.

I will say that I like the 8" blower from Harbor Freight for 75.00 that pulls 1584 cfms. Rig an 8" neck with a 10" to 8" reducer and some tin snips and foil tape. Or buy the harbor freight orange 8" plastic ducting that mates directly to an unmodified 8" blower. Then get a speed controller. Then insulate for sound.

I pull over 1500 cfms for like $100 that way.

I got the idea from an episode of MacGuyver where he used one of those blowers to vent an 8k room like Dynamite here at this site.

dank have you seen the green houses at harbor frieght

P

paulycali

Grab yourself a speed controller and see if that works. If not see if you can find a resonater or muffler for you fan/filter. Or just build something to house your fan/filter. Good luck and hopefully you can quite down that sound

N

NBfrost

its pretty loud , i didnt have the exhaust properly hooked into my air exchanger . im going to try and re use the heat from my room . Has anyone successfully pulled that off , or is it not worth the bother ? I am a diesel mechanic and i have access to strips of mud flaps off new trailers , they are 1/2 inch thick , would that work to be mounted on ? also thinking of taking my fan back and exchanging it for a can fan .. with the speed controler dont you loose cfm ? I was looking at the diy muffler , would that work if i plan on dumping the air in an exchanger ? Ill post some pics of my fan . Im also going to switched to the insulated duct work .. any more thoughts would be greatly appericated ..

B

Budwiser0908

You can wrap the fan housing in dyna mat (amazon). Made a huge diff on some of my fans. Also rubber grommets bet the fan and your mounting screws will help

N

NBfrost

has anyone used the tornado ? the mountaing brackett is horrible lol im thinking of buiding a box around the fan . and jam it with sound insulation . anyone try this

dorjewright

dorjewright

try a shroom sure quieted my 8" er and doesn't restrict the cfms.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

its pretty loud , i didnt have the exhaust properly hooked into my air exchanger . im going to try and re use the heat from my room . Has anyone successfully pulled that off , or is it not worth the bother ? I am a diesel mechanic and i have access to strips of mud flaps off new trailers , they are 1/2 inch thick , would that work to be mounted on ? also thinking of taking my fan back and exchanging it for a can fan .. with the speed controler dont you loose cfm ? I was looking at the diy muffler , would that work if i plan on dumping the air in an exchanger ? Ill post some pics of my fan . Im also going to switched to the insulated duct work .. any more thoughts would be greatly appericated ..

I'm not so sure about the using the your to heat your room, you'd have to experiment with that one. The DIY muffler can be built to go on the outlet, or if you build it with a flange on both ends, it can be used inline. I have both, and they both work well. Fan speed controllers do reduce your cfm, and they also make the fan make humming sounds. The dynamat on the fan itself helps with vibration and lower frequency noise. You can even put the whole fan in a box, completely stuffed with insulation. The fan cools with the duct air, so you're ok. For fan choice I like the vortex brand myself. Play around with these variables, and I'm positive you'll get your noise problem in order.

Best of luck,

-TF

R

RustyShakleford

Hanging the fan from the ceiling with Bungee cords also cuts down on the noise and vibration.

N

NBfrost

with bungees eh , i just switched to the 6 inch can fan , and it was noticably different . i couldnt hear the motor of the fan humming at all . just the air movement . i will post a pic today after im done hooking this one up and see what you all think . im thinking on making the box as well and stuffing it with sound deading insulation .. where can i get the dyna mat ?

Top Bottom