Whats The Best Way To Store Soil?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I use Revs 2.1 soil mix. I just cook a few bins to get thru till next cycle.

I would like to try mixing up everything for the whole year, cooking it then Storing it. Biggest goal is to keep bugs out and soil dry and safe.
I would like to be able to store it outdoors if possible. It's pretty jam packed as it is.

Any suggestions?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Large vacuum seal clothes storage bags. I stored mine in the back of my car for a week to cook all the larvae that had already been deposited and then put in the large cube storage bags that you vacuum the air out of. No more fungus gnats!:smoking:

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I use Revs 2.1 soil mix. I just cook a few bins to get thru till next cycle.

I would like to try mixing up everything for the whole year, cooking it then Storing it. Biggest goal is to keep bugs out and soil dry and safe.
I would like to be able to store it outdoors if possible. It's pretty jam packed as it is.

Any suggestions?
tell ya what i do ,is this,i use 33 gallon totes ,with lids ,they have 2 1/4 holes under each handle,it has to breath,i keep mine out by my fence,if you keep outside your gonna have bugs ,no way around it,,the summer heat will kill most but some larvae will still make it,,you could and by no means am i saying to do it is heat in your oven,,i sure as hell wouldnt,but know folks that have,no way man,what i do is this to fight them critters,,i put a inch of soil in bottom and then put about a 1/4 inch of green sand,more soil then your transplant,,if by chance you do see signs ,its all coming from top and can be nipped in the bud with diametous earth a fine sprinkle over top of your soil,it dry them up and the sand cuts there ass up on bottom,,but keeping them out would also sufficate that soil,because it would have to be completly sealed,,ope this helps just my perfer method,nothing fancy

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Cook it in black trash bags laid out 2 inch flat. Than grab a 18-20 gallon rubbertuppermade container and store it in there.
i do the same,in 33gal totes,,dont like the idea of sealing it without air,kinda lose what you intended to do in the first place,along with the cooking you are also building magic workers in there too,and lack of oxygen would kill all that,same as cooking in a oven,kinda lost everything,and if done this way should just buy some bag soil and do it,to cook off bugs,jmo donrt mean its right,even mushrooms need air,,they live in the dark in shit,lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

The container allows a little air exchange with expansion. In the garage.
there you go all thats needed,just were the container can beath a little,,if you sealed that up,the smell would knock you out when you opened it,lol

S

slap14

I use 55 gallon rubbermaid trashcans. I do have to dump it out every 4 or 5 days for the first 3 or 4 weeks to get enough oxygen while it's cooking so in won't turn anaerobic. After that I just water it with a light tea every know and then and give it a good stir. I have stored soil like this for over a year without any issues.

I also find using oyster shell meal does much better over the long and short term compared to Dolomite. My soil when using dolomite especially for ROLS gets real crusty and I end up with PH or deficiency issues.

I have a buddy who swears by burlap sacks. It gets better oxygen exchange, but in my opinion they are a pain in the ass to move around.

Good luck

Good luck

juggernaut

juggernaut

I need about 5,000 litres of soil. I try to mix each bin at double strength(I use at 1/2 strength ) So 1 bin makes 4 bins. Also I cook it and I was thinking of ordering bokashia to see how that works.
So if i cook everything completely am i able to air seal still.
Super large strong vacuum bags and extra tough drywall bags.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I need about 5,000 litres of soil. I try to mix each bin at double strength(I use at 1/2 strength ) So 1 bin makes 4 bins. Also I cook it and I was thinking of ordering bokashia to see how that works.
So if i cook everything completely am i able to air seal still.
Super large strong vacuum bags and extra tough drywall bags.
I'd think air tight would kill the beneficial organisms in the soil like the others posted before me. I use 33gal totes and I recycle my soil (ROLS). I just tried Cali Green's simple organic today

Smerb

Smerb

I want to keep storing my used soil in a bin with the top open but the cats keep using it for a litter box does cat poop hurt the soil in any kind of way? ??
haha, nope my friend that poop bad. Funny shit, the bin lid, if not sealed tight, will burp itself as weather fluctuates. Droplets of water form under the lid here and there. It's good to be loose.but shut.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I would throw that out and put a cover crop on it.

Why vacuum seal and let all the micro life die off? Heck, just letting is sit and adding a compost tea every other week would do that soil wonders. Let worms work it over. ext.

Paperchase

Paperchase

I would throw that out and put a cover crop on it.

Why vacuum seal and let all the micro life die off? Heck, just letting is sit and adding a compost tea every other week would do that soil wonders. Let worms work it over. ext.
I tried that but they still dig and poop on it um just gne get two or three big rubber tubs frm Walmart and put it in cut holes in the top and at the bottom and do the compost tea on it ever other week.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I just made what I call a "Smart Tote!" I bought a 33 gal tote & lid from DG cut the middle out the of lid and taped some window screen to it, next I cut (4) 6" x 6" holes in each side and glued old Smart Pot material (after they were washed lol) to it. Going back to organics on half my grow this fall, I plan on mixing a batch of my own Super Soil to fill it with and let it cook over a month before using it.

Top Bottom