What's the deal with these air pruning pots?

• Thread starter Newty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newty

Newty

I see a lot of people use these air pruning pots from the pic below. I use planters that have a mesh screen bag/insert that also prunes roots. I'm wondering what makes the style below popular, is it just cost effectiveness or is there something else it does that I don't know about?
Pot uop07 1

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
They're probably good for gas exchange. It might be easy to get a moisture probe in through the holes.

Newty

Newty

I wonder if there is any side by side grow dairies? If not I think you just found your next thread!! 🤷🏼‍♂️😂 ill be watching👁👁

They don't seem to be to expensive so I would definitely consider doing a side by side grow, I'm only on my 3rd week of veg so it will have to wait a little bit though 😢

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
They don't seem to be to expensive so I would definitely consider doing a side by side grow, I'm only on my 3rd week of veg so it will have to wait a little bit though 😢
I’m a few weeks behind you, and have yet to purchase any decent sized pots. I would consider doing a side by side but I dont have the confidence for that.

H

hilbert

I have a 30"x60" tent with 3-5 gallon standard planters and a 48"x48" tent with 6-5 gallon root pruning pots that I started at the same time. It's not REALLY a great comparison cause both tents have multiple strains and none the same but it was interesting doing a side by side.

I definitely think the air pruning pots have increased my yield but it really is hard to tell with them being different strains. Here is a link to my journal with some pics.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I use Air-Pots. One of the really nice things about them if you transplant a lot, is that it's super easy to get the plants out. Let's say you start veg in one gallon pots and then transplant to three gallon pots for flower. If the 1-gal is a fabric pot, getting the plant out is kind of a chore, unless you cut the pot. The the Air-Pots, you just unwrap them and the plant pops out. Allegedly, the holes help the roots get more air and self-terminate, so they don't wrap around the inside of the pot...they just grow additional roots instead. I don't know if that translates to better yields or quality.

One thing I'm not a fan of is hand-watering with Air-Pots. If you don't go very slowly, water runs out the sides. I run them with Blumats, so that's not an issue for me, but it used to be.

Newty

Newty

I use Air-Pots. One of the really nice things about them if you transplant a lot, is that it's super easy to get the plants out. Let's say you start veg in one gallon pots and then transplant to three gallon pots for flower. If the 1-gal is a fabric pot, getting the plant out is kind of a chore, unless you cut the pot. The the Air-Pots, you just unwrap them and the plant pops out. Allegedly, the holes help the roots get more air and self-terminate, so they don't wrap around the inside of the pot...they just grow additional roots instead. I don't know if that translates to better yields or quality.

One thing I'm not a fan of is hand-watering with Air-Pots. If you don't go very slowly, water runs out the sides. I run them with Blumats, so that's not an issue for me, but it used to be.
Thank you for the info!
I didn't realize the Air-Pots unwrapped, that would definitely come in handy with transplanting!
Not something I normally do but I had to transplant from a 3 gallon fabric pot to a 3 gallon mesh bag that goes in my buckets, what a mess I made lol.
I see they even sell those Air-Pots in quarter gallon size, maybe I'll try these when I first plant after germination instead of solo cups.

Top Bottom