Whats the real optimum PH?

• Thread starter Strictly_Kush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

All strain relevant in my book!! From 5 to 7

You don't have any problems with your nute solution at 7.0 pH? What nutes do you use out of curiosity?

X

Xceptional

yeah i may not have had the best chart posted or all of the relevent charts but my recommendation was to go from the bottom to the top of the acceptable range then knock back down to the bottom again. i never actually said what the correct range is becasue it is different for hydro then soil. in hydro i personally run my ebb and grow at 5.6 and let it drift up to 6.2

in soil it was whatever came out the tap because it was acceptable and now that I'm in RO i have to figure it out. i think i had to actually knock it back up a little today when i added nutes so i had to grab the soda since i own no ph up at the moment.

Venom818

Venom818

I know a dude that grows in soil and never ph's his soil sh*t he doesn't even own a ph meter and his bud came out dank.

X

Xceptional

the chart was just to show that uptake changes at different ph levels.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

I know a dude that grows in soil and never ph's his soil sh*t he doesn't even own a ph meter and his bud came out dank.

Most mixes are pH stabilized. Pour in anything form 4.0 to 8.0 and the pH in the root zone will be whatever the mix is stabilized to, usually 5.5 - 6.5.

Might be a bit of an overstatement on my part there, but my experiences with soil (actually soiless mixes of peat/ver/per) is that the rootzone pH is dominated by the mix and the runoff reflects this, meaning pour in whatever pH you want and the runoff will measure at the mix was stabilized at by the manufacturer of the mix.

P

PureSugar

Ahh ... the two charts that do not comport with one another.

The blue chart is from St0ney off of the old HC board and the I have seen the other chart in 10k's posts from OG. I don't know where St0ney got his info and he was not the most experienced grower on HC at the time he made that chart. He was a mod, so that lent credibility to his chart and I think that chart is probably at least 7 years old. No rip on St0ney, just the origins of that blue chart as I remember it. I think the B&W came from a scientific study ... might have the pdf on my hard drive somewhere. And if I don't, I think I have seen 10k post that on icmag as well.

The B&W chart also shows more detail involving absorption rates. It also shows Mg absorption to be the absolute worst at 5.8 pH. I have a strain that shows a Mg def. when other strains in the same tub won't. Maybe I'll get off my ass and run an 'spearmint ione of these days and run two of those plants in different tubs with the same ppm and watch the Mg def as it relates to pH to see if the B&W chart is accurate in its absorption rates.

I dunno. Nutrient companies seem to agree with the blue chart. I run it a bit lower and shoot for 5.1-6.1 and float that range. I have read more than one account from a non-mj site that recommends not letting pH get above 6.2 else nutes will precipitate out. I have also found in the past that if I overshot the pH down, the plants can handle a pH in the high 4's for a few days. That comports with the B&W chart.

So, officially, I run 5.1/5.2 to about 6.1. If it sticks at a range for too many days, I will drop it just to give the plants a different range.

Thanks for the history of "the charts." Funny that I never noticed that the two don't use the same data. Yes I would definitely trust the validity of the B&W ones over "StOney's" (no offense StOney) Again the point and more clearly illustrated in the B&W charts is that when growing hydro having your pH always at any value will result in some nutrient deficiency.

yeah i may not have had the best chart posted or all of the relevent charts but my recommendation was to go from the bottom to the top of the acceptable range then knock back down to the bottom again. i never actually said what the correct range is becasue it is different for hydro then soil. in hydro i personally run my ebb and grow at 5.6 and let it drift up to 6.2

I wasn't trying to rip you, I just wanted to show him the hydro chart as it supports your recommendation to allow the pH to drift and how much more sensitive hydro is to pH changes compared to soil.

X

Xceptional

I wasn't trying to rip you, I just wanted to show him the hydro chart as it supports your recommendation to allow the pH to drift and how much more sensitive hydro is to pH changes compared to soil.

no no dude i didnt think you were :) i re-read it and realized it may have sounded like i took offence but i didnt i swear! thanks for the input on this thread and additional detail/clarification + rep!

S

Strictly_Kush

Well you guys were right, and thank you.. I have been following the chart that was made by stoney.. Although I dont know this guy I dont think the chart is accurate.. Ive been following the B&W chart and adjusting ph to 5.3 then I let it raise to 5.7 before adjusting it down again and Im seeing great results.. Thanks again.

S

Spade

I am jumping in a little late here on the thread, but wanted to add that I agree with the "let it drift" thought. I am in DWC buckets using a modified lucas formula (Gen Hydro 6 micro/9 bloom) with liquid Kool Bloom off and on during flower. I set my pH at 5.4 and let it drift to 5.8 at which point I knock it back down to 5.4. Usually once mid-way through the week.

This is my first run with this nutrient regimen, and have had no problems with it so far. Before I have used AN two-part with additives setting at 5.4 and allowing to drift with good outcomes so I think it is the way to go.

Top Bottom