what's the right humidity?

• Thread starter jansjukebox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Here's the question or the problem or what ever. I had problems in my curent grow with powdery mildew. I had a real issue with the humidity constantly staying in about the 60-68% range. I was able to get it down but now, it hovers around 28%. Is this what could be slowing the finishing of my girls? and if so, how should I raise it? I have both cool and warm humidifiers..Any suggestions?

J

John Ditchweed

I keep my humidity around 40% being from my area it normally runs 60 to 80% outside year round........... I think 28% should be ok......... I have hell drying my harvest if it is summer time it gets up to 90% sometimes and I dry in a seperate area

F

FastForward

I don't think it makes any diffs to be honest....my rh has been 20-30 for the winter and I've been fighting it the whole time.... :(

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

i could only wish my flower rooms RH was in the 40's like it should be.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

well, I'm glad that no-one seems to think it's a problem..I'll just have to figure out another excuse why my girls won't finish...lol

eyes

eyes

pm is everywhere.hard to get rid of.keep your intakes filtered your room clean.disinfect everything.change your clothes and shoes b4 u enter the room.too high a humidity and it chokes off your plants.they cant breathe.or transpire the water your feeding them.keep temps and humidity right 75f 40-45 rh,and most importantly the air needs to be exhausted as quick as possible as often as possible.the other factors are under and over watering,too less fertilizer /too much fertilizer/bad air exchange/too cold of a room-pots sitting directly on the cold floor root zone temps too cold/

try cleaning the room and the surrounding areas after the next crop.filter the intakes,run a hepa and a uvc light in the room.hit the room with either a sulpher burner and or a massive 03 dose.wash the walls with mild bleach.hope this helps.

M

mato

I'm surprised to see no one using milk or neem oil to eliminate powdery mildew. The reason why someone mentioned that even though their RH is 30 they're still battling it. It's because the plant is still infected. PM is a fungal disease......what you see on the leaves is the reproductive stage/spores that are being released. Hit your pants with a solution of either foliar or regular neem feedings.....like once every ten days, they will absorb the essential oils and thus it will eventually after a few weeks eliminate the disease entirely from the plant.......give it shot....

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Humidity makes a huge difference and will slow your plants down to a crawl in comparrison to a higher humidity enviroment...

In the 20's you are bone dry and your leaves will be skinnier, less color, and dry to the touch...not leathery but dry....60% humidity is the minumum IMO and if you read a little deeper, you are way more likely to get PM with the lower humidity, becuase in reality PM has very little to do at all humidity high or low...fluctuating humidity is the real trick, 20-20% flips from lights on tho lights off is a major problem..

Tex

P

pilot error

Well still being fairly new, doesn't the strain type play a role in this also? Tight buds verses loose, mold resistance, etc.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
The strain plays a part in how susceptible the plants are inherently, but PM is a very different beast than molds.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Humidity and Houseplants
Grant Wood

Humidity is a measure of the amount of water that air will hold. The water is usually in the form of invisible droplets. At 100 percent humidity the air cannot hold any more water. The highest humidity often occurs on hot days, creating a "muggy" feeling. Fog occurs when the air is saturated and the invisible water now becomes visible.

Humidity is measured relative to temperature and is called relative humidity (RH). The measurement is taken this way because humidity and temperature are directly related: the warmer the air, the more water it can hold.

Humidity in the Home If warm air holds more moisture than cold, then why is it so dry inside the house in winter? Remember that the furnace is taking dry outside air and warming it. If no water is added to this outside air, then it will still be dry. You can increase the humidity inside to a certain extent by adding water to the air. Warm, moist air is always being lost from the house, and cold dry air is always being brought in, so high humidity in the entire house is not possible.

When warm, moist air comes in contact with a cold, dry surface, the water in the air condenses. This is very common on windows, and is an indication that the humidity inside the house is higher than outside. If the inside walls of the house are cooler than the air inside the house, water can condense on the walls, and can cause wallpaper to come unstuck, but don't rely on this as a means of stripping wallpaper!

Humidity and Plants

Humidity is important to plants because it partly controls the moisture loss from the plant. The leaves of plants have tiny pores in them called stomata. Carbon dioxide enters the plants through these pores; oxygen and water leave through them.

The humidity inside a plant is close to 100%. A plant growing in a dry room will lose moisture because water always moves from high to low humidity. When the difference in humidity is large, the loss of moisture from the plant is rapid and severe.

Most houseplants prefer a humidity of about 60%. Cacti, succulents and plants native to desert environments tolerate much lower humidity (30-35%), but prefer not to drop below 20%. House plants that are native to tropical rain forests require much higher humidity, 90% for example, and thus pose problems for most home owners. Plants that require a very high humidity are best grown in terrariums or closed containers where it is possible to regulate the humidity.

Damage from excess humidity - Under very humid environments, fungal diseases can spread. This seldom happens during winter, but can be a problem in fall when the temperature is cool and the humidity is high. Mildew on plant leaves is an indication of excess humidity and lack of ventilation.

Damage from dryness - Plants that prefer a more humid environment, but that are forced to grow in a dry environment will commonly suffer damage to younger leaves and to leaf tips. New leaves and leaf tips are the area of the plant with the most actively growing cells, and these cells are the most susceptible to dry air. Older leaves that are fully formed may be shed as a result of lack of humidity, but they will not be deformed or damaged by the dry air. Plants stressed in this way very frequently shed flower buds, or flowers die soon after opening.

Increasing Humidity

There are a number of ways that a home owner can increase the humidity in the room or around the plants.

Humidifiers - Using a humidifier is by far the most effective way to increase humity. Humidifiers that attach directly to the furnace will increase the humidity throughout the house. Portable humidifiers can be used to increase the humidity in one or more rooms.

Changing locations - Bathrooms and kitchens, if they are sunny, often have a higher humidity than other areas of the home, and may be more suitable for house plants requiring extra humidity.

Double potting - Take a small potted plant or a number of small plants, and put them in a larger pot. Fill the area underneath and around the small pots with peat moss. Keep the peat moss constantly moist. As water evaporates from the peat moss, it increases the humidity around the plants. Make sure the large pot has a tray underneath to catch excess moisture from the peat moss. A similar approach is to place a house plant in a basket lined with moist peat moss.

Pebble trays - Fill a large plant saucer with pebbles or stones. Place a number of small pots (or a large pot) on top of the stones. To assure that the pots do not contact the water, you may wish to place them on saucers which sit on the pebbles. Now fill the large plant saucer with water up to the level of the pebbles. Make sure the saucer with pebbles is large enough to be effective - the larger the surface area of pebbles, the more effective the method will be.

Totems for climbing plants - Take chicken wire and roll it into a totem (tube). Fill the tub with peat moss. Anchor the tube in the plant pot and then wind the climbing plant around the tube. Keep the peat moss inside the tub moist. Do not worry if the plant forms roots into the totem, but if this occurs make sure the totem is kept evenly moist.

Grouping - Moisture loss from one plant can benefit the plant next to it. Try and group plants with similar watering requirements together, and keep them close to each other. The closer together they are, the more effective the method.

Misting - This is the least effective but often the most used method. Misting plants with tepid water will result in a layer of water on the leaves, which will reduce the transpiration of water from the leaves. However, soon after misting, the water will evaporate, and once this occurs, the air is once again low in humidity. If plants are misted too often or too much, however, fungal growth and tissue rotting may result. Plants with hairy leaves cannot be misted, for leaf spotting will likely occur as a result.

N

Nuglover

I was always under the impression that low humidity was better.Apparently I was wrong. Check out the krusty buckets thread or doubled's g13 thread. High humidity is apparently better and less stressful...and I'll never get my grow advise from magazines again. If you're not sure check out those threads. I'm not able to run 75%-85%rh in my room but I keep it as high as I can.

S

slewfoot

this is the kind of info that is priceless, soaking it up like a sponge. thanks

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Thanks for the great info TK. Always learning something new!!

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
texas your always on top of ur game a true growpro

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
this makes me feel better about not being able to get RH below 60 or 65%... what about but rot?

H

hazyfontazy

what about but rot?

u get that from sitting at a computer toking :rauch08:

bud rot however is a mould ,its airbourne and usually grows from the inside out ,it likes to live in high humidity areas ,unfortunately it loves big colas and can wipe a crop out in days if undetected ,,

leaf tips turn black and if tugged gently will pull straight out of the bud ,this is a good sign of infection ,if u can pull leaf off u need to open up the buds and inspect inside ,,bud rot looks like spiders webbing ,if infected cut off the infected bud and burn it if possible

prevention is better than cure ,put a small heater in the growroom at night to keep temps and humidity in check ,,optimum rh at night is 60 % and temps at 15 c,a small fan to keep the air from going stale also helps ,,

1 preventive product i found is rot stop

http://www.growell.co.uk/p/2475/Bud-Rot-Stop.html

hope this helps ,,,mildew and budrot ,such a nasty pair of bastards :mad0233:

Top Bottom