What's the right temperature and humidity for early veg? So many different answers out there.

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

I have clones 1.5 weeks from transplant, in early veg. What is the right temperature and relative humidity? I hear things all over the map. What say you?

I'm growing three strains in a 5' x 10' grow tent:

• Kush Mints -- Indica dominant hybrid. Broad leaf drug strain. Woody, broad, and compact.
  • Gorilla Glue #4 (licensed) -- Indica dominant hybrid. Broad leaf drug strain.
  • AJ's Sour Diesel -- Sativa dominant hybrid. Narrow leaf drug strain. Average leaf width, broad internodal spaces.

I realize that the Sour Diesel might prefer different temp & humidity than the others. But considering all three, at this stage of veg, what's the temperature range I should keep them in? What's ideal, and what are the outer boundaries of acceptable?

At this stage of veg, what's the relative humidity range I should keep them in? What's ideal, and what are the outer boundaries of acceptable?

[Photo from last week just for attention]

IMG_0208.jpg

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

I have clones 1.5 weeks from transplant, in early veg. What is the right temperature and relative humidity? I hear things all over the map. What say you?

• Kush Mints -- Indica dominant hybrid. Broad leaf drug strain. Woody, broad, and compact.
  • AJ's Sour Diesel -- Sativa dominant hybrid. Narrow leaf drug strain. Average leaf width, broad internodal spaces.

I realize that the Sour Diesel might prefer different temp & humidity than the others. But considering all three, at this stage of veg, what's the temperature range I should keep them in? What's ideal, and what are the outer boundaries of acceptable?

At this stage of veg, what's the relative humidity range I should keep them in? What's ideal, and what are the outer boundaries of acceptable?

View attachment 1203180
I like 80f @ 60%

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
They are supposed to grow out in nature where temp and humidity fluctuations are normal.

if I cared to keep it one number for best indoor growth 75-85 days 70 -75 nights. Humidity as low as possible without putting any money into it. Cover soil etc if necessary.

they are plants. they need good roots most of all, temp and humidity never needed any attention for me, lights on at night, off during day, keeps everything good enough or better.

growboy420

growboy420

View attachment 1203180
Depends on cannabis variety..my indicas like it at 20-22 C daytime and 17-19 C night time..I keep it that way from seedling to veg to flower to harvest. Fans on from day one of course !

Moshmen

Moshmen

They are supposed to grow out in nature where temp and humidity fluctuations are normal.

if I cared to keep it one number for best indoor growth 75-85 days 70 -75 nights. Humidity as low as possible without putting any money into it. Cover soil etc if necessary.

they are plants. they need good roots most of all, temp and humidity never needed any attention for me, lights on at night, off during day, keeps everything good enough or better.
Ur lucky most have issues with this method

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Ur lucky most have issues with this method

well I don’t care about temps indoors, the plants can see high 50s at worst but that is plenty high since it’s not usual and still not very low.

For humidity, I cover my pots with plastic top and bottom (loose on top so a little air can get in), and turn the outtake up if it ever becomes a problem. I’m not even sure what is a problem, my humidity is all over sometime and the plants don’t seem to care. (~75-40)

I’m good with temps doing whatever they want just as long as they get to far off to harm the plants, which could probably only happen in summer for me for to much heat, even then, lights at night only, never an issue.

I like the fluctuations, seems more natural to me.

outdoor, no way to control anything and never had a problem with anything

CannaDana

CannaDana

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, many modern strains and cultivars have been bred and cross-bred to thrive in specific indoor situations. Some strains become very fussy, and don't do well outside narrow parameters. This is especially true for the "exotic" strains, which have sacrificed traits like ruggedness and tolerance in favor of potency or specific cannabinoid or terpene profiles. One of the cultivars I'm growing is a clone-only strain that does best in a hydroponic situation, and it is very, very picky. So, you don't always get great results by just planting them in the ground and letting the environment fluctuate.

Additionally, even in the "wild," different subspecies have different tolerances. For instance, what we refer to as "Indica" (modernly known as Broad Leaf Drug or BLD strains) evolved in conditions of high heat and low humidity, with a short vegetative and short flowering period. Take those plants to the tropics, and they will not fare well. Conversely, what we think of as "Sativa" (Narrow Leaf Drug or NLD strains) evolved near the equator, with long days, high humidity, and a long flowering period. Take those north of 30 degrees, and you may not even get them to flower outside, as that latitude lacks the length of season to allow the plants to properly flower. Some subspecies, like Ruderalis, grow so far north in cold climates and short seasons, that it would fail anywhere else, and both Indica and Sativa would fail at latitudes where Ruderalis thrives. All of the commercial strains we have today got their start in Northern California in the 1970s, as growers who mainly had access to Sativa from Mexico and Central America, that didn't do well in California, started breeding those strains with plants from Afghanistan and Pakistan that had lifecycles closer to the Mediterranean climate in Humboldt County, so they could grow them outdoors. Then in the 1980s, as indoor growing started to take off, even more mixing occurred, and often the ability to thrive outdoors was completely abandoned.

So, when we take all those subspecies and start altering them through modern breeding practices, and creating all manner of mixed preferences inherent in hybridization and breeding for specific traits, we can create quite a mess. Several very popular strains have almost completely lost their hardiness, and many hybrids can only be effectively grown indoors under specific conditions.

That's why I listed the three strains I'm growing, hoping that someone who has experience with those specific strains would be able to tell me under what conditions they thrive.

Of course, we can "ballpark" it, and we can go with general notions that work "well enough," and most of the time we'll get a harvest from that. And that's all fine and dandy. I was just looking for something perhaps more specific to these strains, if anyone knows them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom