Whats up with 600W lights

• Thread starter JJP53
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JJP53

I always thought that 1000w lights where the ultimate for getting big yields. Then I look at some grows on this forum and they are getting 1.3 gpw. Why is this?

hiboy

hiboy

i run 1000 watters, but many growers have found success with 600s. they put out enough lumens, consume less energy, create less heat.
h

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

1st off, your question is Extremely Vague, kinda like starting a thread saying "whats wrong with my plant" but not putting up any info/pictures/ etc...

I don't know what grows your looking at or comparing to, there are hundreds of thousands of posts, like 20,000 growers here, can you be more specific. ;)

what are you looking to do, get "big yields" or have the most efficient gpw possible?

1.3 grams per watt is actually pretty good>>> most of the grows I have seen that got more efficient gpw, there was a shit ton of plants. Like a collisum type grow where you have hundreds of plants surrounded by a single bulb/double stacked bulb.

Its generally going to be more efficient GPW wise to grows hundreds of small plants, than grow large trees like a lot of the farm rocks.
but if the cops come knocking i would rather have to explain 4 plants to the judge than 90 plants /

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

WRONG. A typical super 1k and a super 600 both put out 150 lumens per watt
True, but the 1k has to be at least a foot further away from the plants than the 600. So with a 600 more lumens are reaching the plant usually. Well, at least the tops of the plants. 1000w lights usually have better penetration for tall plants. Both have their place depending on what people are trying to do given their chosen strains and growing environments.

J

JJP53

Hey CM I was looking at NKKHills " white fire done right" thread

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I was reading one of growmasters threads yesterday and he had a tent (sick ass tent) with 1ks on one side and 600s on the other

the clones on the 600 side were 7 or 9 (dont exactly remember) older then the clones under the 1k's and everything else was the same (soil beds - same nutes)

the 1k side SHIT on the 600 side in growth rate and yeild

I have to find that now - it was in the middle of a rather long thread

In my own experience 1 k lights yeild way better then 600s as well

devilrays

devilrays

yeah i used to use 1000's and was happy with yield, i then went with the "science" behind 600's and pretty much the same wattage and i've been disappointed with the yield of the 600's.
:sign0065:

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

I have always been a 1000w guy myself, I recently moved though and had to downgrade to a 600 as I didn't the amps available to run the 1000. This is my first time with the 600 so cant comment on yield compared to a 1000.

Since I have not ran the 600 this is simply a logical guess with no real world experience comparing the two bulbs>
but it seems a 1000 watt would produce almost twice the herb(40% more) as its using 40% more electric .. or does the 1000 shit on the 600 much more than that?

Looking forward to reading growmasters comparison..

*EDIT*

Guessing this is what you were talking about ML//

and further down the thread,

growmaster is def a better grower than myself, but here is a couple thoughts for whatever its worth
Im reading the thread right now... although 1200 watts vs 2000 watts doesnt seem like the fairest comparison to me, if GM had put another 600 in there I think it would have been a better comparison with 1800w vs 2000w.

and in post 113 I believe he says that he has the 1000s and 600's at the same height .. seems the 600's should be lower?

just honest observations.. Im already missing my 1000's :sweating

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol yeah man I was totally high aat 3am reading that

I started here in the thread I think

and just read from page 10-20

I used to run 3 x 600 and now run 2 x 1k in the same space

I get bigger buds and better yeilds - but just bud size alone makes it worthwhile for me as the trim goes way faster

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

good to know ml..
well actually kinda a bummer... LOL

S

smokestack23

I'm kind of on the fence.
the bang you get from 1Kwatters is hard to argue against.
Typical 400watters only make 130lumens per watt so that's part of it but..you'll usually get better growth from a 1kw than 3 400s. Even though you can spread out 400s and presumably get better coverage, you also lose some in penetration.
Lumens or Lumens per watt can be misleading too because plants don't use all the lumens any light produces. Lights produce frequencies that arent useable by plants and those are included in the lumen output ratings. Perhaps bugger lights produce more "usable" lumens?

600s vs 1000s though is a slightly different story. Better penetration than 400s but less than 1000s but..bettermore equal coverage is possible with 600s though. check out some of Heath's numbers with 600s.
The Dutch and English seem to be doing well with 600s.
You can have 600s closer to the plants than 1000s. They produce the same L/W as 1Ks.

I used 400s way back in the day. Used 1Ks and 600s, now use both.
I have a pretty small room. I have 4X600s near the perimeter (sort of) and a 1K on a track right down the middle.
Hard to say if the buds are bigger near/around the 600s or 1000.
It definitely is not a HUGE difference if any or I'd for sure see it.

What I do know though is that if I tried to spread that 3400 watts around using just 3 one thousands (and a 400?) I wouldn't do as well.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
cant compare a 1k on a mover to stationary

420alldaze

420alldaze

hey ive ran both and have to say. the 1000 put on more wieght. but i dont have to deal with the heat issue while running the 600. just my 2cents. peacentreez

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've ran my 600 for many grows & always had small but bomb harvests.. Now I upgraded to a 1000 watt & I don't no about the harvest yet but my plants r veggin' like monsters with the 1000.. There growing way faster super growth.. I can't wait 2 see how the buds turn out..

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

Looking forward to reading growmasters comparison.

growmaster is def a better grower than myself, but here is a couple thoughts for whatever its worth
Im reading the thread right now... although 1200 watts vs 2000 watts doesnt seem like the fairest comparison to me, if GM had put another 600 in there I think it would have been a better comparison with 1800w vs 2000w.

and in post 113 I believe he says that he has the 1000s and 600's at the same height .. seems the 600's should be lower? The closer the lights are to the plants the smaller the footprint, I had to keep the 600erds higher to cover the bed, had I lowered them the plants on the edges of the bed would have suffered more than they did.......GM

just honest observations.. Im already missing my 1000's :sweating[/QUOTE]

Yes 1000ads are way better then 600erds, there is no comparison, its like comparing John Holms to Pee Wee Herman:giggle, the 600erds just dont match up, no matter how many u use, They dont have the lumens to penetrate the canopy, and do not have the FOOTPRINT of a 1000nd, 2 of the most important factors when growing indoors, Now don't get me wrong u can grow excellent bud with 600erds, just not as much or as big as the 1000nds will.......GM

Top Bottom