What's wrong with my buds?

• Thread starter Clemolo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Clemolo

Hi everyone...

This is my second crop from an outdoor plant that grew from a discarded seed (my first time growing my own).

The buds seem looser and 'fluffier' than what I would typically buy. They are a little bit fuller than my first crop, but not by a lot.

Do these look 'normal' to you?

I assume I need to give them a bit longer, but with the first crop I waited and waited for the trichomes to become cloudy, but few did and then the buds started to loosen up even more.

Have also included a pic of the whole plant... this thing has become massive and seems to be covered in buds. Does this look nomal too?

Thanks in advance!

Whats wrong with my buds 5

Whats wrong with my buds

Whats wrong with my buds 2

Whats wrong with my buds 3

Whats wrong with my buds 4

strider26554

strider26554

I might add that i believe if you don't tie some of that up you will lose it the first storm/ rain you get. the heavier buds will need support and during that process you could move or tuck some of the leaves out of the way to get full sun into all the bud sites. where feasible obviously.

strider26554

strider26554

and how long did you give the last plant to fill out? because i grow a few strains that take a long time to fill out, and some of the more sativa dominant strains never do fill out like the indica strains do. or not as dense. anyway.

mancorn

mancorn

Hi everyone...

This is my second crop from an outdoor plant that grew from a discarded seed (my first time growing my own).

The buds seem looser and 'fluffier' than what I would typically buy. They are a little bit fuller than my first crop, but not by a lot.

I assume I need to give them a bit longer, but with the first crop I waited and waited for the trichomes to become cloudy, but few did and then the buds started to loosen up even more.

Have also included a pic of the whole plant... this thing has become massive and seems to be covered in buds. Does this look nomal too?

Thanks in advance!

Yes your buds do look airy. Sometimes the lower bracts (tear drop shaped) will die off along the branches, without effecting the buds (and you can just pop them off). And the stigmas (hairs) will natural dry and turn red, but this normally happens closer to harvest (although on some plants it will happen throughout the grow while new white ones keep developing). Yours seem to have some foxtailing. (Search on this, lots of info online). It’s more common in CBD/Sativa.

Having it up against the house and near a lawn is problematic. The grass (which looks to have a fungal disease/dollar spot) holds a ton of moisture, and you have no air flow on one side. Also guessing the building is seriously restricting the sunlight and why the plant is leaning away from the building in search of the sun. (Also the shadows and no sun on building shows the plant is shaded.) So most likely the plant isn’t getting enough direct sun, has too much (direct & near by) moisture and why the buds are airy and loose, have the browning stigmas & bracts, and either already have some bud rot or heading that direction.

Nothing you can do about the light, but you can definitely do some lower pruning and general defoliation to increase airflow, before you get into some real trouble with the thick and large colas. (Sometimes less is more, especially outdoors where big colas can lead to trouble without really good light and airflow.)

What’s your weather like? Do you get summer rains?

Last edited:
T

Thumbz

Is there a reason there’s not a mention of the pencil thin, sativa leaves on the plant?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hi everyone...

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1344984

View attachment 1344980

View attachment 1344981

View attachment 1344982

View attachment 1344983
This is a very sativa-leaning plant. It is not going to develop the bud structure you desire. Other things that affect bud density include light -- but you're in full sun, so that isn't the reason for your fluffy buds

Genetics are important. That's why people spend $5, $10 or more per seed. Not that you have to spend a lot, but you have to know something about the parents of your seed or you'll end up with something you don't want.

2Bad

2Bad

First off have you checked your sun schedule like does it get shaded out early in the day? Second what are you feeding it?

p.s. genetics don't seem that good either. unless that's specifically what u like.

C

Clemolo

Thanks for your responses everyone... lots of great info here!

A bit of background... it came from a discarded seed from some weed I bought through contacts (its not exactly legal in my location, so can't just buy certain seeds). It wasn't deliberately planted, and was a bit of a surprise.

I have no idea what it is, but seems to be a type of sativa, based on info I got from other forum members here when I posted about my first crop.

It gets full sunlight from 6am-12pm, then shaded until sundown around 7pm, and our summer temps mostly range between 24c/77f to 40c/104f. Very few summer rains. Irrigated mostly by bore/ground water every second day.

I am no gardener, and have very little idea of what I am doing. I do want to learn and give this plant the best chance possible though, so your tips are very much appreciated.

You've given me a few things to research, but one question I will ask is at this point in time, should I remove lower branches and thin out the upper area, or is it too far gone this season and I should just wait for the next crop?

Thanks again everyone... this has been really helpful.

2Bad

2Bad

I think the shade is possibly an issue. Sounds inadequate to me but this is a great learning experience for you. If you want to prune some leaves off so wind can get through that's fine just don't go too crazy.

mancorn

mancorn

Yes go for the pruning. You have a TON of leaves and a LOT of bud sites. Get rid of all the small interior stuff. Start off by leaving all the branches, but trim off the leaves and small buds closer to the main stalk so that you just have the larger colas on the branches. Search on “lollipoping” which will give you good info and visuals on what you want the plant to look like after trimming.

Most certainly the shading at noon is a major contributor to the fluffy, airy buds. Your early morning sun 6-8 is pretty weak, so you’re realistically only getting about 4 hours of good sun, and the 7 hours of shaded light just isn’t cutting it. But it is what it is. You need to treat the plant more as an indoor plant - meaning take advice and mimic indoor growers. Normally outside you’re not nearly as concerned about pruning for light as 92.763 million miles and 1 foot isn’t any difference than 92.763 million miles and 2 feet. But in your case light IS an issue and trimming should help.

You say legality is a problem, so being stealth may be really important. But if you can try getting some reflected light. Even a white sheet on the ground, or anything what will reflect the sun onto your plants will help

C

Clemolo

Thanks both... really appreciate the detailed advice!

I will thin out the lower areas on the weekend and see how it goes.

Once I've got my fill from this crop I'll look to make even bigger changes.
Can't do much about the location or the sun, but will do what I can to get better buds next time.

Any advice on cutting it right back after the harvest? Here is the base. You can see its on a lean (towards the morning sun) and it goes off in two main directions. Was thinking about cutting one off fully, is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

20230328 183426

20230328 183412

oosik

oosik

Dude you’re highjacking other peoples threads for no reason.

Just start your own. You’re going to get ignored if you tick off enough people.
Sorry about that I am new and have not figured out how this works. I am a 63 year old man not up on this " forum " thing. Never been on one. Every time I want to start a new conversation, its already discussed. I will get my 14 year old granddaughter to help me like I do with all my electronics. Just kidding about the granddaughter helping me. Thank and I will never do it again. So, that being said, what the fuck is wrong with my plants?

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Sorry about that I am new and have not figured out how this works. I am a 63 year old man not up on this " forum " thing. Never been on one. Every time I want to start a new conversation, its already discussed. I will get my 14 year old granddaughter to help me like I do with all my electronics. Just kidding about the granddaughter helping me. Thank and I will never do it again. So, that being said, what the fuck is wrong with my plants?

Go here.

I made you a space. Post your pics and give us watering and light info. Age of plants and medium.

That should get others to look at your grow.

Try not to use profanity when asking for help.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Thanks sorry about the fuck word
Cool. Get some good pics of your grow where we can see top down and sides.

Post them in your grow thread I made and give some details I asked about. Add what you think might help like fertilizer/nutrients used. Etc.

Top Bottom