What's Wrong With These Buds?

• Thread starter iloveplants
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kingpossum

Kingpossum

I always would flush first sign of problems, n give only min water as needed a few days, they wont starve, if its too much of something u will see improvements, not enough.... itll get worse.
Not the most scientific test but it normally points you in the right direction. ruling out overdoses and deficiencies doesnt leave many typical causes

Kingpossum

Kingpossum

wen i started growing indoor a decent ph ec meter cost more than my lights, these days every man n his dawg have them

Junk

Junk

I haven't done the ppms on my tap water in a while, but I'm gonna say more than 700....yeah....I calibrate my meter....it's a bluelab combo, so I'm pretty sure I don't need to calibrate my ppms....just the pH....it could be bad I guess.....but I feel like something would have shown during veg.... My actual RO filter might need replacing, but since the plants are used to this water I'm not trying to stress them by totally switching it out. I just changed water in my reservoirs a week ago...so far plants seem to be doing alright since I chopped off all the bad....
You do what you want brother...

Part of my life involved water filtration. And 290 leaving the RODI is crazy...
U sure its not bugs? Take a scope to it, def not reveg lol people are jus saying whatever pops in their heads apparently and i dont think it is water issue if tge majority of tge plant isnt infected
Fwiw, I don't think the water is the issue either. The plants have made it this far on it. It's just unusual.

I've revegged plants intentionally many times. I'm revegging 3 right now, and the pistils don't look like that.

I would be looking for pests....

BioStimz

BioStimz

It might be ethylene-phytotoxicity. There's a number of endogenous & external causes - senescence, taking cuttings, manual defoliation, insect attack, exhaust from natural gas/gasoline-burning equipment, improper ventilation.

Ethylene toxicity often causes flaccidity and epinasty - a downward curling of the leaves, as well as abscission of leaves.

How's your ventilation, and could there be any sources of ethylene that weren't there before? Any equipment near your grow that could be a source?

~

BudBogart

BudBogart

What are you seeing?
To me, it looks less like trichs on the leaves and more like insect droppings. The pattern of trichs or whatever they are runs down the spine of the leaf, not the edges as is typical. But the op can see it first hand, and if he says it's not poo, then i believe I must be wrong. Not the first time, lol.

Junk

Junk

To me, it looks less like trichs on the leaves and more like insect droppings. The pattern of trichs or whatever they are runs down the spine of the leaf, not the edges as is typical. But the op can see it first hand, and if he says it's not poo, then i believe I must be wrong. Not the first time, lol.
Ty.

I

iloveplants

It might be ethylene-phytotoxicity. There's a number of endogenous & external causes - senescence, taking cuttings, manual defoliation, insect attack, exhaust from natural gas/gasoline-burning equipment, improper ventilation.

Ethylene toxicity often causes flaccidity and epinasty - a downward curling of the leaves, as well as abscission of leaves.

How's your ventilation, and could there be any sources of ethylene that weren't there before? Any equipment near your grow that could be a source?

~
I have a hurricane fan plus another on the wall... And a portable air conditioner....the ducting for the hoods get air from the other room and it's vented outside....when the lights go on I open a door to let fresh air in ...

I

iloveplants

U have bugs man, look at that pic real close it looks like aphids.
Definitely not aphids.. I actually know a little about aphids from taking care of rose plants..that had aphid infestations. The dark spots are shriveled hairs.....the trichomes have gone to dust....I'll get a picture of one of the buds that is in the process of turning bad, tomorrow.

I

iloveplants

I have a hurricane fan plus another on the wall... And a portable air conditioner....the ducting for the hoods get air from the other room and it's vented outside....when the lights go on I open a door to let fresh air in ...

~
What would be a source of ethelyne? I've never heard of this before.

BioStimz

BioStimz

What would be a source of ethelyne? I've never heard of this before.
Well the plant for one (senescence), taking cuttings, manual defoliation, and insect attack. Nearby exhaust from natural gas/propane/gasoline-burning equipment can also contribute.

Ethylene-toxicity is primarily accompanied by accelerated senescence with a loss of rigidity and mutated growth. Loss of chlorophyll and leaf abscission are not always present.

I haven't encountered this with Cannabis myself - so it could present itself in an entirely different manner, but it's a common issue with various agricultural commodities.

BioStimz

BioStimz

The bud in the picture you posted looks underdeveloped --> Yet it looks overripe at the same time.

It's also looks like it's accompanied by some degree of epinasty and there's definitely some yellowish-discoloration in the flower.

IMG 20171105 020422756

Whatever it turns out to be, thanks for sharing.

~

R

RobGee

Hate to bring this to the table because they are a bitch, but I'm pretty damn sure you have russet mites. Your photo is close enough that you can see em crawling around on the foliage poking out of the flower. Get a scope on the affected areas, if they are present you can't miss them. Cut off all affected areas and you might be able to salvage your run. Makes sure to go nuclear cleaning the grow area between runs and do not get cuts from the same source. There is a bunch of info identifying them and dealing with them here.

I

iloveplants

We never figured out what was wrong. There were no pests. The picture shows the dried up or dissolving trichomes which was precisely the problem. Along with loosing their hairs. In the end, we think it was a combination of the strain, low CO2, and really bad water. Who knows. It was not bugs though. I'm certain of that. I'll see if it happens again. It could have also been a severe nutrient lockout from a nitrogen toxicity....but the reservoir was feeding g more than one table, so it's hard to cater to picky strains when they don't have their own water.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

We never figured out what was wrong. There were no pests. The picture shows the dried up or dissolving trichomes which was precisely the problem. Along with loosing their hairs. In the end, we think it was a combination of the strain, low CO2, and really bad water. Who knows. It was not bugs though. I'm certain of that. I'll see if it happens again. It could have also been a severe nutrient lockout from a nitrogen toxicity....but the reservoir was feeding g more than one table, so it's hard to cater to picky strains when they don't have their own water.
There was definitely mites. telltale waxy leaves, black pistils that disappear, and trichs "falling off"(Being eaten/dying and being replaced with loose shit is more accurate) is literally the progression of mites. Affecting all plants, etc. This was mites. Most people don't realize how small they are or how to find them, add yourself to that list because this is like a literal progression thread of mite infestation lol. 100% textbook case of mite infestation. You still have them too most likely.

Last edited:
I

iloveplants

I am not an expert, but by mentor has been doing this for a very long time. He came and checked everything out. He looked under a microscope and couldn't find anything. Whatever it was stayed in the bottom 50% of the plant. Never progressed towards the top. So maybe it was mites, but he didn't think so, and everything was checked and rechecked and checked again. It's over. It has not happened to another grow. Like I said, I am not an expert so thank you for the information.

Top Bottom