Whats your choice silica additive?

• Thread starter TheBadChoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I'm on that Stout MSA ... the PH doesn't go all outa whack from it, and it is readily available for plants.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

No difference adding it first or last
You want to give the silica plenty of time to form its bonds in your water, as mixing it with other nutrients too early can cause separation and other nutrients will fall out.

Some growers even suggest waiting up to 30 minutes after mixing your silica, to let it form bonds with the water before adding in additional nutrients.

B

Ballisticsuk

You want to give the silica plenty of time to form its bonds in your water, as mixing it with other nutrients too early can cause separation and other nutrients will fall out.

Some growers even suggest waiting up to 30 minutes after mixing your silica, to let it form bonds with the water before adding in additional nutrients.
LOL one of those old wives tales
Use a good line of nutes and don't mix and match other brands
That's the real culprit of mixing issues

B

Ballisticsuk

oK ChEif... but don't let me stop you from trying out urine for your fertilizers

View attachment 1346204
View attachment 1346205
View attachment 1346206
View attachment 1346203
LOL one brand of nutes
I fully understand chemistry and have used this method right up to last year when I had to take a break

Ro water
Calmag
Nutes main
Enhancer nutes
Nitrozyme
Silicon
It goes cloudy when you drop it in but the 1500 lph pump soon makes it to the right consistency

W

WyattTerp

The nute brands that include silica and recommended mix orders always seem to put silica at the top of their mix list. This brand agnostic order remains consistent for potassium silicate, colloidal silicon, monosilicic acids, etc. I suspect silica binds quickly to specific nutrients and not others. When silica binds to specific nutrient types it can cause precipitation When silica is added first to RO it becomes diluted. When silica is added first to tap it becomes diluted and it also binds to the chemicals in tap. A conditional issue like this, the fact that growers regularly mix nutrient brands and the fact that many brands have 'all in one' nutrients makes adding silica first a fail safe mechanism for the non-chemist like myself.

B

Ballisticsuk

Lieu
The nute brands that include silica and recommended mix orders always seem to put silica at the top of their mix list. This brand agnostic order remains consistent for potassium silicate, colloidal silicon, monosilicic acids, etc. I suspect silica binds quickly to specific nutrients and not others. When silica binds to specific nutrient types it can cause precipitation When silica is added first to RO it becomes diluted. When silica is added first to tap it becomes diluted and it also binds to the chemicals in tap. A conditional issue like this, the fact that growers regularly mix nutrient brands and the fact that many brands have 'all in one' nutrients makes adding silica first a fail safe mechanism for the non-chemist like myself.
60 mil if silica into 1 ltr of ro calmag ec 0.3-0.4 shake it up make the main batch up add silica mix to raise ph then acid it down never had any proplems this way as long as it is 1st put into water calmag mix (just like a normal tap or well water with unusable cal and mag mind you) then it has bonded and can be used to buffer your soloution
Ro can be harsh with ph fluctuating if not done this way 5 years trial and error it will bind to your nute mix as long as you water it down 1st if it was such a problem then using it in hard water would become a problem unless first mixed with ro

Tatace

Tatace

sure there wasn't any precipitation in your rez?
Initially I also used it before mixing the nutrients but I think that the precipitation of them is given by an excess of it in a certain point. Now to add it to my tank I dilute it slightly with RO water and then pour it next to the pump which I periodically use to mix my tank in order to quickly divide it throughout the solution, never had any precipitation problems

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Yall talking hydro rez so random question outside of silica. Do any of yall use a wetting agent?

B

Ballisticsuk

Yall talking hydro rez so random question outside of silica. Do any of yall use a wetting agent?
No need just another bottle of juice these companys want to flog you

As far as i understand it helps with conservation of water by allowing the water to become more absorbable or something like that it would be usefull maybe in high heats

I dont even use one when spraying the canopy

Less is more in my opinion

And if somerhing is working without it then there is no need for it

B

Ballisticsuk

No need just another bottle of juice these companys want to flog you

As far as i understand it helps with conservation of water by allowing the water to become more absorbable or something like that it would be usefull maybe in high heats

I dont even use one when spraying the canopy

Less is more in my opinion

And if somerhing is working without it then there is no need for it
I know the brand i used ionic only has a foliar wetting agent
But its not really needed just another chemical hanging around

Top Bottom