What's your cooling setup?

• Thread starter Chillville
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

water wise guy

Also, I'm cooling a sealed room with 8x1k HPS with a 2 ton chiller. I know we've talked about it and I did say my ballasts are elsewhere and I'm cooling my hoods with outside air, but I know I'm very close to the capacity of the system. If the chiller needs to shut off regularly, I'm up shit creek, right? Or am I?[/QUOTE]

if your system is running and keeping constant temps even thru the hot months than it will work. this is not the preferred method it is wasting some power and your chiller will burn out quicker than normal. what are your outdoor temps?

I

Innov8tr

1. Size of room?
24x12 flower, 12x12 veg

2. How well insulated is it?
r-13 in 2x4 walls, built it inside a warehouse, inside walls are lines with radiant barrier plywood.

3. Total wattage in the room(s)?
Flower room (8) verical 250 watts, (4) 1k watts horizontal. Veg room 1k watt

4. Burning gas for Co2?
Yes, HydroGEN water-cooled co2 generator

5. Ballast in the room? If so digital of magnetic?
All digital and all outside the room.

6. Dehu? What size? How often is it running?
I run (2) 75 pint dehu in flower and a 50 pint running the veg room.

7. What size, brand, and seer rating of your a/c?
I run a 3.5 hp ChillKing chiller, I upgraded to the high efficiency model. 8" Ice Boxes, 6 in flower and 2 in veg.

8. How often does it cycle (turn on and off)?
Runs about 80% of the time as it should.

9. What is the highest and average outdoor temps? What the climate like?
80 days above 100 degrees, f-ing hot

10. What is your grow room temps set at?
78 degrees

11. Is the system able to maintain the temp setpoint through the entire light cycle?
All year long

Great thread

S

Strumalong

1. Size of room?
6x10
Completly sealed
4. Burning gas for Co2?
no
Lumatek 600
no
7. What size, brand, and seer rating is your a/c or chiller system?
I use two small evaporative coolers with thermostats,works great but im in so cal not to many days over 100.Both coolers use about 0.6 amps each
12/12
95 high 80 avg.Kinda like paradise in southern California
11. Is the system able to maintain the temp setpoint through the entire light cycle?
yes

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
1. Size of room?
6x10
Completly sealed
4. Burning gas for Co2?
no
Lumatek 600
no
7. What size, brand, and seer rating is your a/c or chiller system?
I use two small evaporative coolers with thermostats,works great but im in so cal not to many days over 100.Both coolers use about 0.6 amps each
12/12
95 high 80 avg.Kinda like paradise in southern California
yes

That's badass, talk about efficiency! Thanks for posting

ttystikk

ttystikk

Just built a new room, thought I'd share the specs:

1. Size of room? Bloom 16x9. Veg 10x11. Nursery 7x11.

2. How well insulated is it? Quite well, it's all in a finished basement
3. Total wattage in the room(s)? Bloom: 8x1k HPS, all in 8" vented magnum xxxl hoods, the 'ochos'. Currently running just two of them, will be adding more stages of plants at 2 week intervals. Veg: currently 2 x1k sealed 6" hoods vented outside, on a light rotator. Nursery/clones; shoplight 2x40w over ez cloner, and 2x90w UFO LED and 1x130w LED over preveg stages
4. Burning gas for Co2? Tank, on Sentinel CHHC-4. So far, it's just sipping the stuff.
5. Ballast in the room? If so digital or magnetic? Magnetic ballasts in adjacent room, not coincidentally the room where the air is pulled to cool the hoods before it's exhausted outside. Eventually the plan is to install flipboxes and run another similar 8k bloom room, cooled with same chiller.
6. Dehu? What size? How often is it running? HAve a 70 pint dehuey, set it to 75% humidity, haven't seen it run yet.
7. What size, brand, and seer rating is your a/c or chiller system? 2 Ton window mount Chillking water chiller. Do chillers have SEER ratings? What is it and what's a good rating?
8. How often does it cycle (turn on and off)? Right now all it's chilling are 2k of lights and chilling 24 site RDWC in bloomroom (100 gallons), and 24 site RDWC in veg room (75 gallons). Running maybe 20%. As I add more circuits and turn up more hoods, surely it will run more.
9. What is the highest and average outdoor temps? What the climate like? This year's August was hottest on record for Colorado; highs averaged mid 90s. Lots of people complained, I wasn't one of them. Winter temps can drop waaaay down, I've seen it hit -25 at the house. Usually 30s n up daytime, teens to low 30s nights. And yet, it's not unusual to see a 75 degree day in January! Oh, and turn your bones to dust while you're still walking DRY. Single digits not unheard of, it can be only 60% humidity in a driving rainstorm, don't ask me how! Altitude also contributes to low RH, and big temp swings day vs. night. Not unusual for temps to swing 50 degrees in just 12 hours, especially in spring and fall.
10. What is your grow room temps set at? Just sealed the room, set it at 80. Using a Hydro Innovations soft temp controller, fan changes speed to maintain a constant temp as opposed to cycling all the time. Sentinel says the room is nailed to 80. So far, so good... Have only the one chiller box and 8" maxfan running at the moment, will install 2 or 3 more as I turn up more hoods. All will run from same controller.
11. Is the system able to maintain the temp setpoint through the entire light cycle? So far, the system is maintaining temps better than I could if I didn't have anything else to do but watch it. Humidity is creeping up from 35%- seriously!- but I want it closer to 70%-75% day and night.

Had a nasty surprise when installing things; FREE ADVICE: use water in your chiller setup until you've run it for awhile and made sure there aren't any leaks! Why? The leaks I discovered were at the connections to the chiller coils in the RDWC units. One was leaking badly enough it overflowed and flooded the system by a few gallons! If I'd had glycol in the system, I'd have ruined the nutes, and maybe the run. I will put glycol in the system in a few weeks once I'm confident it's tight, not doing a Colorado winter without it.

Chiller system reservoir is 55 gallon drum, currently 2/3 full. The other third emptied into the RDWC system, lol. 1/2hp Flotec pump pushing water, definitely no shortage of oomph from that beast. MORE FREE ADVICE: the hose on the inlet side of the pump needs to be plenty stiff (I got the thick stuff with nylon threads braided in it, hydro store hose is inadequate for this application), otherwise a pump that's powerful enough to push all this water will suck the intake hose flat and start cavitating inside the pump. That buzzing, grinding sound is bubbles forming in the partial vacuum and hammering the impeller, and will wear it out fast if situation isn't fixed.

Front Range cities of Colorado are very fortunate in that usually the city water is very good; this city runs just 40-60 ppm out of the tap. Gotta add the cal-mag just to get a decent base! Plus, the water runs about 60 degrees from the same tap in winter, up to 75 in summer. Bonus cooling!

Need to set up some kind of cooling coil under the ez-cloner. This is the small 30 site unit and they seem to heat up the most. Thinking of setting the entire cloner 2" deep in water in a shallow tub, and run 1/2" hose coiled under the cloner. My idea is the water bath will help transfer heat...

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Good advice brotha! For the clone machine you can use a piece of 3/8stainless tubing 12" long for a 60 site cloner and drop it in the res. Run the tubes through one of the holes on top. Trim the inside of one of the sponge discs to accomodate the tubing and put it back in place. It should keep your machine around 70-72 and you can use it with the existsing setup that you have. H.I. sells these with the tubing and fittings, just like the coolcoil but much shorter. They are pretty cheap if you don't need the tubing and stuff that comes with it.

S

sourkush91

1. 5x11
2. insulated pretty good framed up just like any wall in a house... nothing ghetto inside is totally lined in 1 in. styrafoam and totally sealed

S

sourkush91

oops didnt mean to post that lol heres the rest...
3. 2k phantom digital ballasts with 8 inch ac hoods
4. Using a 35 gallon co2 tank with cap ppm3 controller
5. Ballasts are in the room they are digis and will be removed soon
6. have a 70 pt. dehu watercooled... havnt timed it running yet but it doesnt have to run much in such a small room
7. 2hp chillking with 2 icebox from hydro innovations
8. It was on about half the time when the lights are on but i just made some mods. and not it is running a little under half the time...
9. Weather and climate is unpredictable here ha can be 70 one day and ya never know what its gonna be the next day when you wake up... it can reach hig 90s in the summer and easily be in the single digits in the winter...
10. I am running a strain which i have found likes it a little warmer so my room stays right about 82 when the lights are on and then mid 70s at night... using 2 8inch ice boxes on a temp controller from hydro innovations... was running a max fan on the controller but had some problems with it and moved to a can fan for the thermostat.
11. I oversized my chiller by a good margin due to running bigger room... more lights etc. later in the next few years... so that said this big chiller keeps my room super controlled and doesnt have to work to hard... the watercooled dehu helps the chiller work less because it puts out very very little heat.... Chiller keeps my room within 1 degree most of the time...

Im using a 120 qt. cooler that i drilled some holes in and completely sealed for my chiller res... Using a 1/3 hp submersable pump... the closer it gets to winter the less and less my chiller has to run... gotta love it...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thread bump and update;

Turned up more lights, my chiller is still on track to cover all my cooling needs with capacity to spare.

Made a copper coil 10' long and put it UNDER my ezcloner; used some aluminum foil to help exchange heat between the cloner and the coil. So far, it's working reasonably well to cool the cloner! I have to run the pump part time or it will still heat up though. If it doesn't pan out, then I'll do the foot of stainless tubing inside the cloner...

Also, just dragged the chiller unit inside the house, into a spare bedroom. Instantly, it is providing heat for the entire house. I'ts working so well I have to leave the window open and push the air into the rest of the house, lol. We'll see how well this works when it starts getting really cold!

M

MMJQA

Hello Chillville,

i have a question i have 2 x 2600 rooms 50 lights each on flip, im thinking of buying 2x SSX140601A/ARUF486016 - 5 Ton 13.5 SEER R410A Goodman Air Conditioner Split System.

my question is would these goodmans last 2 years for me and is it enough for 50 lights at a time with having cold co2 in the rooms?

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Unless you are air cooling your lights your not even close with 10 tons. Will the ballast be in the room? Are they 1000 watt? (50) 1000 watt lights would create 200,000 BTU, far below the capacity of the 120,000 BTU (10 ton) a/c's. You need a 20 ton, or (2) 10 tons, or (5) 5 tons. Needing that much cooling you should really consider a chiller system, unless power is free. You could save thousands a month...seriously. You could save 30% conservatively on your a/c bill, this would be the equivalent of 5 tons for free using a chiller.

If you have your ballast in the room you will need lots more cooling btu's to compensate.

W

water wise guy

i also agree with chillville on a system this size water cooling is the way to go it will save alot on your power bill. also what area are you in? if in cooler or cold climate maybe try compressorless chillers or atleast in the winter then you could save up to 75-80% on cooling just using cold outside air. i would also recomend using a few smaller units versus one large one so if there is a problem with the chiller only part of your cooling is down and you can still limp along until fixed versus aone big unit that if it goes down you are out of bussiness unless you run drain to waste but on a system that size it would be expensive.

masshole61

masshole61

Hello chillville, am planning a basement build and am wondering if you could fill in the blanks for me. Am building a 10x12 sealed and well insulated flower room with 2 1000w in two air cooled raptors over 5x5 soil beds.also I'm planning on running co2 in tanks. Given that summer temps are in the 80's and winter averages around 32, what you suggest would be the most efficient way to cool the room ?

G

Get HI

Mass, are your ballasts going to be in the room? Are you running a dehumidifier in the room?

masshole61

masshole61

Hey get hi, thanks for askin... Yes the ballast will be outside the room , and yes to the 70 pint duhuey... My real question is should I get a mini split with the ability to dehumidify the room or would a chiller with ice box heat exchangers be a more economical way to cool the room. Or something else. In relation to the mini split with the dehumidifier does anyone know if you can regulate the relative humidy as well as cool the air in the room?

G

Get HI

You should be fine with a 1 ton mini split unit, especially with max summer temps in the 80's. Whichever brand you go with be sure to check the specs on the operating temperature of the condenser to make sure it can handle your low winter temps. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Good advice brotha! For the clone machine you can use a piece of 3/8stainless tubing 12" long for a 60 site cloner and drop it in the res. Run the tubes through one of the holes on top. Trim the inside of one of the sponge discs to accomodate the tubing and put it back in place. It should keep your machine around 70-72 and you can use it with the existsing setup that you have. H.I. sells these with the tubing and fittings, just like the coolcoil but much shorter. They are pretty cheap if you don't need the tubing and stuff that comes with it.

Got lots of updates for this thread bump- are you still around, Chillville? Hit me up!

nebulius

nebulius

Got a closet grow : 10 L x4 W x 8 H inside a bedroom with one 600w hood cooled with duct fan and oscillating fan with digi ballast inside room.
Outside temps are usually high 80's-90's (with a few 100 days) in the summer months with indoor temps being 70-high 80's.
Only ran in winter months so looking to get a window A/C for summer. I have a whole house A/C but only run it when temps get to high 80's-90's so want window A/C to compensate, and keep temps in a tight range.
I saw a 5,000btu Haier for $109 and a 6,000 btu Haier for $149.
Thinking of going for the 6,000 btu. This should be sufficient yes?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Got a closet grow : 10 L x4 W x 8 H inside a bedroom with one 600w hood cooled with duct fan and oscillating fan with digi ballast inside room.
Outside temps are usually high 80's-90's (with a few 100 days) in the summer months with indoor temps being 70-high 80's.
Only ran in winter months so looking to get a window A/C for summer. I have a whole house A/C but only run it when temps get to high 80's-90's so want window A/C to compensate, and keep temps in a tight range.
I saw a 5,000btu Haier for $109 and a 6,000 btu Haier for $149.
Thinking of going for the 6,000 btu. This should be sufficient yes?

I don't know much about specific AC units. There's an AC thread around here somewhere, look for 'CannabisJohn'. That homeboy knows his AC inside and out. He can help you much better than I can.

Top Bottom