What's Your Organic Soil Mix?

• Thread starter Colin21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Colin21

Colin21

As the season is coming to an end I wanted to see what some different soil mixs everyone was using in preperation for next year. During the winter I plan on experimenting with some base soil mixs in order to create the best home for the plants. I'm interested in some open discussion about different products and various ways of mixing a nice happy soil. I hope I can spark some interest into this topic and learn.
Thanks All

Colin21

Colin21

Have you started composting yet? Specifically with worms?
I completely plan to this next season, I was rushed on alot of the process this year and as well was my first grow so I had alot to learn. Right now I have a 70/30 mix rn if steer manure and some really nice garden soil I got from local farmer. I didn't do any amendments... I still had a great grow season especially for my first but not having the right balance of everything really didn't give me the results. I'm working with 4, 65 gal geo pots, what this best way to calculate the amount of worm compost or for that matter any amendment?

Colin21

Colin21

Base mix...
1 pt aeration
1 pt compost
1 pt SPM

Amend per cuF
1 cup malted barley flour
1/2 cup kelp meal
1/2 cup karanja/neem

1/2 cup dolomite lime
1/2 cup gypsum
What's the barely flour for? Food source?

Colin21

Colin21

What do y'all think about trying out a base mix within like a 5 gal bucket?? Take some of my soil now and maybe experiment with getting the right balance of everything and then kust multiply the ratios of everything to the 65 gal pots. Just trying to save energy and time really, thought it could be a good way to get it right I guess. Any thoughts and advice would be great!

Underthesun

Underthesun

These guys have good recipes if you want to do a no-till living soil. I use this currenlty with all my homemade compost and worm castings. I don't follow their watering schedule though.

If you want to use a living soil, 5 gallons is pretty small. The bigger the pot the easier it is to maintain a balance.

https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system

Organikz

Organikz

What do y'all think about trying out a base mix within like a 5 gal bucket?? Take some of my soil now and maybe experiment with getting the right balance of everything and then kust multiply the ratios of everything to the 65 gal pots. Just trying to save energy and time really, thought it could be a good way to get it right I guess. Any thoughts and advice would be great!
Get your 65g going. You're going to get a totally different response in a large body of soil.

Dunge

Dunge

Colin21

Colin21

I have been relying on this same blend for years.

I mix all full bags of ingredients into one batch of soil.
Big bag of ProMix.
Big bag of Down to Earth compost.
Bag of Down to Earth EWC.
3 lb. bag of each Blood and Bone meal.
One box of Down to Earth high P bat guano.

Mix well and use.
Too hot for seedlings or clone plugs.

To read full report:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/six-super-soil-variants-run-side-by-side.63549/page-4
this frame is near the bottom of the page.
Are you doing outdoor or indoor? What are you using for your clone/seed starter?

Colin21

Colin21

Get your 65g going. You're going to get a totally different response in a large body of soil.
Completely makes sense. So maybe just take everything out of the pots and mix it as one bug batch and then redistribute to let it cook in the pots?

Underthesun

Underthesun

Lots of ways to skin the cat. Again, I'm a firm believer that organic soil mix starts with your compost...either make it yourself from food scraps or find a premium supplier. You don't want the cheap bagged stuff from the stores. Whether you do a super soil mix that you have to cook, or a coots mix that will never burn your plants, compost is probably the most important. IMHO. Compost, learn about it.

Lots of ways to skin the cat. Here is a little blurb from Clackamas Coots, just to get the wheels spinning. Did you read the Build-a-Soil link in my last post?

"This is the compost that I started with

1 c.y. organic barley straw 12 lbs. basalt rock dust 2 c.f. roughly chopped Comfrey as the Nitrogen source 5 c.f. pumice (1/4" size)

When the material ramped back down to 100F or so I added the following:

3 lbs. kelp meal 3 lbs. a neem / karanja meal mix that I had made because I was bored - obviously 1 lb. organic alfalfa meal 1 c.f. roughly chopped Comfrey leaves 1 c.f. roughly chopped mint mix - Peppermint, Spearmint, Thyme, Cilantro, Holy Basil (Tulsi) and chopped Rosemary 3 lbs. organic fish meal 3 lbs. crustacean meal

I loaded this into #150 SmartPot and dumped about 3 gallons of worms that I harvested from other set-ups also using SmartPots. Basically 3 gallons is somewhere around 10 - 11 lbs. of worms. I covered this with barley straw to reduce evaporation in the bedding material.

A year later I harvested over 28 lbs. of worms, thousands and thousands of cocoons (using a 1/8" screen which will capture the cocoons) and this specific batch of vermicompost is what I'm currently using.

It's all about patience - it takes time to create premium humus.

Dat's it!

CC"

Then just mix it up as such:

1/3 Humus 1/3 SPM or Leaf Mold 1/3 Aeration (Rice hulls/Pumice/Lava Rock)

A bit of time and effort is required at the front end for sure. After that's done, just add water.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Also this website is very helpful for organic growing.

http://microbeorganics.com

Whatever soil type you choose I hope it works for you. Lots of options out there, and most of them work well for people. I hope you enjoy organics, it has really taught me a bunch and I'm learning all the time. I liked no-till so much I started a bunch of raised beds for vegetables and fruit. Works really well, especially after the first year.

Dunge

Dunge

Are you doing outdoor or indoor? What are you using for your clone/seed starter?
I use this super soil formula for both indoor and outdoor.

Another strange feature of my experience is that I have often used the soil directly after blending it up.
No "cooking".
As for starts and clones: rooted clones go into a watered down version of the super soil. About two parts pro mix, one part worm castings, and one part super soil.

Fresh clones and seeds get no added nutrition.

below frigid

below frigid

Another strange feature of my experience is that I have often used the soil directly after blending it up.
No "cooking".
As for starts and clones: rooted clones go into a watered down version of the super soil. About two parts pro mix, one part worm castings, and one part super soil.

I really like this mix. Simple and to the point. I might add some kelp but that's all.

Dunge

Dunge

I really like this mix. Simple and to the point. I might add some kelp but that's all.
Thanks.
I use alfalfa, kelp, and neem meal in my tea.

It's the simplicity and reproducability that I rely on.
And the fact that the soil formula works.

Colin21

Colin21

No "cooking".

Looked into the link you shared with me, very informative my friend. Provided a real look into organics and especially with your trials it was very interesting. I have a real good idea about what I'm gonna be doing this next year. I think I'm gonna get myself some Durban Posion feminized seeds and see how that goes, should be fun. I'm about 2 weeks from harvest myself, been running 8 Sour D
20170922 130513
20170922 130323
20170922 130520
20170922 130321
20170922 130329

Northernpop

Northernpop

Hi guys, this is my organic soil mix. It's simple, but the girls seem to love it. I grow 4 in 20 litre pots, under scrog in a 2x3x5ft room with 1240w LED. You can control the nutrients and supplements to suit during growing (I.e. bio-silicon, voodoo juice etc...)

Total = 80 litres (4 x 20 litres)

50 litres canna terra professional (62.5% total mix)
20 litres Perlite (25% total mix)
10 litres worm castings (12.5% total mix)
800ml Ecothrive Charge, soil conditioner and biostimulant (1% total mix)
60ml seaweed meal
30ml Garden lime containing calcium and magnesium

Really hope this is of use

Latest posts

Top Bottom