when and how to feed seedlings

• Thread starter manicinmaine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

manicinmaine

now i am no newb but i consistently have the same prob with seedlings, burned some and am fearful of doing the same, so i wait too long to feed then i am going through defficiencies and start out behind the 8 ball if you will. i usually feed when i have 4-5 sets of true leaves and usually lacking N right off. i am an organic guy i put my germinated seeds in rapid rooter plugs. then i go to pro mix with 30% worm castings, i feed with neptunes harvest fish emulsion and when stable go to my own super soil type recipe. once they go into my ss they are healthy and no more deficiencies, buti do believe that i cause them unnecessary stress by allowing them to go thru this early in life, any and all suggestions will be considered. thank you in advance...... manic

nebulius

nebulius

This is what i do.
Feed at 1/4 strength of nute solution when plant is 10-12 days old.
I mist dirt with water bottle until seedling is ready for first watering. Then I hand water. You want to then keep hand watering (do not mist leaves) you want roots to develop.

M

manicinmaine

This is what i do
I mist dirt with water bottle until seedling is ready for first watering. Then I hand water. You want to then keep hand watering (do not mist leaves) you want roots to develop.
thank you!!

Chobble

Chobble

This is what i do.

^^ If your using good soil, You shouldn't have to worry about feeding seedlings for about a month. At that point you can start them at 1/4 strength nutes and work it up slowly weekly.

Now something that helps speed up the growth of the roots and plant is compost tea. It will also strengthen the plant while bringing more nutrients to it! I would advise brewing yourself a batch if your adamant about feeding your seedlings.

Chobble

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If I was you I would stop using the promix and just start the seedlings in a good 70/30 soil/perlite mix. You said everything is fine once you put them in your SS and the problems arise in the beginning when there in promix. Maybe something like FF Happy Frog or FF Ocean Forest cut with a lil Light Warrior and some perlite or if you don't like FF soil then use whatever soil you like. I think if you start them in a good soil from the get go you wouldn't have those deficiency problems. just my opinion, good luck.

ybooord

ybooord

If I was you I would stop using the promix and just start the seedlings in a good 70/30 soil/perlite mix. You said everything is fine once you put them in your SS and the problems arise in the beginning when there in promix. Maybe something like FF Happy Frog or FF Ocean Forest cut with a lil Light Warrior and some perlite or if you don't like FF soil then use whatever soil you like. I think if you start them in a good soil from the get go you wouldn't have those deficiency problems. just my opinion, good luck.

exactly, a decent organic soil will give my seedling everything it needs until i'm ready to transplant it basically. All I have to do is water occasionally. (I usually use the FF ocean forest for seedlings as well) ;)

Top Bottom