When do you flip 3s

• Thread starter Bluntsmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

How long do you let your plant grow in 3 gallon fabric pots before flipping? I'm using a 3 gallon with a seed plant for the first time and just curious. Thanks in advance

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

How long do you let your plant grow in 3 gallon fabric pots before flipping? I'm using a 3 gallon with a seed plant for the first time and just curious. Thanks in advance
That really depends on how much room you have. Some people flip after a month of vegetative growth. Others will veg for several months longer. Most plants will at least double in size during stretch. Some plants will triple. It's not one hard and fast rule ... although younger plants tend to take longer to show flowers where a plant greater than 45 days usually sprouts pistils very quickly (a week or less).

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

That really depends on how much room you have. Some people flip after a month of vegetative growth. Others will veg for several months longer. Most plants will at least double in size during stretch. Some plants will triple. It's not one hard and fast rule ... although younger plants tend to take longer to show flowers where a plant greater than 45 days usually sprouts pistils very quickly (a week or less).
Thanks. I guess I meant to ask how long can you veg them before issues with roots?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks. I guess I meant to ask how long can you veg them before issues with roots?
Your 3 gallon fabric pot will allow a final plant size of about 36". That is a very loose guess because how you care for your babies will greatly influence that too. (I've seen 36" plants in solo cup challenges)

Fabric pots will air prune roots so there is less chance of root issues providing you utilize proper watering techniques.

I realize that I have not directly answered your question. There are too many variables to give an absolute one size fits all answer. I use 5 gallon pots. I flip after my plants reach between 18" and 24" tall. Finally plant height from the top of the pot to the tip of the plant is never more than 48" tall as I use LST techniques to keep things inside my grow space.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Your 3 gallon fabric pot will allow a final plant size of about 36". That is a very loose guess because how you care for your babies will greatly influence that too. (I've seen 36" plants in solo cup challenges)

Fabric pots will air prune roots so there is less chance of root issues providing you utilize proper watering techniques.

I realize that I have not directly answered your question. There are too many variables to give an absolute one size fits all answer. I use 5 gallon pots. I flip after my plants reach between 18" and 24" tall. Finally plant height from the top of the pot to the tip of the plant is never more than 48" tall as I use LST techniques to keep things inside my grow space.
Good enough I just needed a basic guideline. This is my first time from photo seed in a 3 gallon. I'm used to 5s with photos and know

Do you top your plants? If so how does that fit into the equation as far as height? The same?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Good enough I just needed a basic guideline. This is my first time from photo seed in a 3 gallon. I'm used to 5s with photos and know

Do you top your plants? If so how does that fit into the equation as far as height? The same?
Personally, no ... The occasional plant that gets topped is because I got too aggressive with my LST.

I don't top because whenever you cut, it takes time for the plant to replace the lost growth. Experienced growers who do top, know this but are more interested in building more branches and bud sites and are willing to wait for the plant to replace that lost growth.

growsince79

growsince79

Personally, no ... The occasional plant that gets topped is because I got too aggressive with my LST.

I don't top because whenever you cut, it takes time for the plant to replace the lost growth. Experienced growers who do top, know this but are more interested in building more branches and bud sites and are willing to wait for the plant to replace that lost growth.
Imo you don't lose any growth topping. The growth temporarily shifts from leaf to stem and roots for a couple days, then the veg growth explodes.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Imo you don't lose any growth topping. The growth temporarily shifts from leaf to stem and roots for a couple days, then the veg growth explodes.
100% agree - topping a healthy plant results in explosive growth. I will usually top a plant at the 4th, 5th, or 6th node depending on growth patterns and node spacing. Rarely do I grow a plant that has not been topped, even outdoors.

Top Bottom