When do you like to get started. (North East) But I will take advice from anywhere.

• Thread starter BDH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BDH420

BDH420

Greetings Farmers! How was everyone's winter? Mine has been super nice since I have had a abundance of flower from last years outdoor run. Unfortunately I had to travel this winter from Jan to just last week. I was down south. It was a amazing time. But I didn't get to get my beans popped when I wanted to. I wanted to start early Feb. Get them nice and big before they go out this year. I'm ordering some nice big fab pots this year. No more 5 gal buckets. I have had a sweet compost pile going on its 4th year and I think I have enough compost as a base for a couple hundred gallons. I really loved the Texada Timewarp I grew last year. I won 4 seeds in 2018 in a online giveaway. They grew huge and potent effortlessly and withstood some of the worst wet weather he have had here in the north east without any mold issues. Out of the 9 ounces I got off 3 plants last year. (Not shabby for my first outdoor run in 30 years.) I got 23 seeds out of 9 ounces so I figured I would grow her out again. along with 2 other cultivars this year. I haven't picked which other cultivars as I was planning on picking up some clones or teens from a local source. I would love to get a idea of when other Cannabis growers here in the north east like to get started form seed or clone. Once your have your babies started when do you like to put them out to get acclimated? I'M in MA.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Greetings! Been a cold, but mostly mild winter here, western US, up north around the 49th degree latitude. I have been growing indoors but this spring I plan to start my very first outdoor grow. I bought a 10'x7' greenhouse and will have 4 Cannabis plants and some tomatoes and peppers, maybe some other flowers. I'm growing two THC strains and two plants from a CBD strain. The CBD strains are coming from seed and if I can swing it, the THC plants will be from my first attempt at making some clones.

My plan is to get seeds in soil around the 2nd week of May in the greenhouse. If I end up using clones for the THC strains, they will be firmly rooted and in 1 gallon pots in the greenhouse by June 1. We should be free from any frost at that point. The strains are said to finish late September/early October so that gives me 4 solid months and many full sun days along the way.

Good luck with your 22 grow season! Personally I would steer clear of any seeds from your own plants unless you know where the pollen came from. It could have came from a hemp plant or perhaps one of your plants hermied and you probably don't want to plant that seed as it will be prone to hermie as well.

Reactions: TSD
TheShortAnswer

TheShortAnswer

Massachusetts outdoor grower, 25 and 30 gallon pots. I'm going to start my regular seeds April, 2 and my feminized seeds 10-14 days later. Looking for 5 to 6 feet tall plants max, or about 12 - 16 ounces per plant if all goes well. I'll flip my regular seeds early to find the males and cull from the grow, then back to 18-6 until they go outside. Big plants are nice but a PITA to manage.

TSD

TSD

Northern NY here, my seeds are soaking, pots awaiting their arrival. I usually start first week of March, but we were out of town last week so I'm just starting now.... which is fine, mine got entirely too big last year... honestly I probably should have waited longer lol.
That's awesome to hear you grew Texada Time Warp, I have 5 of them hopefully sprouting tails as I type, I hear it's a great strain for my climate. Mold kicks my ass yearly. I start indoors and go out when risk of frost has passed, at least hopefully. Probably do a few in ground and a few in like 20 gal tubs... haven't decided yet... assuming all goes as planned.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

up in the commonwealth myself. I started these mid January. Should be ready to clone in the next 3 weeks or so then outdoors date by early June.
don’t get too hasty as Treebeard would say. Last year we had a snow May 17th, killed off some of the vegetable garden.

BAFBB7E7 4C61 44AB 8EFD 39EF084FAA33
TSD

TSD

up in the commonwealth myself. I started these mid January. Should be ready to clone in the next 3 weeks or so then outdoors date by early June.
don’t get too hasty as Treebeard would say. Last year we had a snow May 17th, killed off some of the vegetable garden.
Love the LOTR reference lol... yeah I usually wait till the the last week of May, first week of June myself... never can tell what North Country weather is going to do.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

In CT we put our outdoors plants outside just after Memorial day, however we start them first week of April so when they go out there 2 months old so able to withstand any very cool nights ie 40 to 45f, in Maine it's 2 to 3 weeks later as they are 375 miles north and don't really have a spring they have mud season, up there we start the plants between 2nd and 3rd week of April and put outside around June 15th these are outdoors photoperiod grows witch are not like autos as they grow much slower so you want them to be at least 2 months old so they can withstand a cold snap, the reason we put out after Memorial day is there is no chance of a frost, CTs grow season is longer and have grown till mid October, in Maine the season is a bit shorter and depending on weather usually chop last week of September to around first week of October, you want ur plants to have some good growth before putting outside, if you do get a cold snap with Temps 40f or below cover your plants at night this will protect them, Rhode Island same as CT, Mass 1 week later unless your in the CT River Valley,

IMG 20170903 130016769
TSD

TSD

Greetings Farmers! How was everyone's winter? Mine has been super nice since I have had a abundance of flower from last years outdoor run. Unfortunately I had to travel this winter from Jan to just last week. I was down south. It was a amazing time. But I didn't get to get my beans popped when I wanted to. I wanted to start early Feb. Get them nice and big before they go out this year. I'm ordering some nice big fab pots this year. No more 5 gal buckets. I have had a sweet compost pile going on its 4th year and I think I have enough compost as a base for a couple hundred gallons. I really loved the Texada Timewarp I grew last year. I won 4 seeds in 2018 in a online giveaway. They grew huge and potent effortlessly and withstood some of the worst wet weather he have had here in the north east without any mold issues. Out of the 9 ounces I got off 3 plants last year. (Not shabby for my first outdoor run in 30 years.) I got 23 seeds out of 9 ounces so I figured I would grow her out again. along with 2 other cultivars this year. I haven't picked which other cultivars as I was planning on picking up some clones or teens from a local source. I would love to get a idea of when other Cannabis growers here in the north east like to get started form seed or clone. Once your have your babies started when do you like to put them out to get acclimated? I'M in MA.
I didn't answer your question about getting acclimated, I definitely do acclimate mine over a few weeks, when there are warm spring days. I start in filtered sun or shade for the first few times, usually a couple hours at a time, just to get them used to real daylight. Then once they are acquainted with the outdoors, I put them in morning sun for a few hours on nice days, then eventually full afternoon sun or a full day of sun if we get lucky. Some people that start indoors don't, and I suppose it's not a necessity, but I feel like it's less of a shock come transplant time if you do, plus the natural breeze probably helps strengthen them better than a stationary fan. I probably baby mine more than some so I don't mind carting them outside and back again.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’m in NE mass and usually start my seeds between March 23 and April 1. Grow indoors on 16-8 time schedule until early May. Acclimate outside for 3-5 hrs/day starting last week in April. I’ve had no problems putting in ground by May 7 for most of my grows (15+ years). If nights are looking cold (even down to 32 degrees) I simply cover the plants overnight with a small bucket or trash can. Haven’t lost a lady yet with this method. I have trouble keeping them under 8 ft by late July.

Top Bottom