when filling pots with soil or whatever your using ?

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

do you pack the medium a lil bit or just like shake the pot to settle it ?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Shake a lil, but never pack it, that will reduce the air holding capacity of the soil and make it difficult for roots.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

i did that last time and after watering a few times and i ended up being 3 or 4 inch below the top of the pot

Cookoo4Coco

Cookoo4Coco

depends on the medium. A peat mix with lots of perlite or coco mix i would pack really good before planting. I would never pack a less pourus medium like soil with compost and stuff like that

Cookoo4Coco

Cookoo4Coco

Id defiantly pack pro mix a bit before planting. If you dont first time you water half of it will float to the top of a puddle and displace your plant.
Pro mix and Coco are so fluffy a little pushing before planting wont stop the air flow. Its when you have soil with smaller particles and "real" dirt that you need to be careful not to pack.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I use promix hp, I don't pack real hard just kinda cram it into the bottom crevasses and every couple inches I even it out then when I get it full I start patting it with my hands, not too hard tho just enough to fill any cavities. Then i water with light nute mix good and slow till it runs off.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I should of clarified when you water it in without packing, you will have to top off if you want the soil to be close to the top of the pot. I still wouldn't pack any medium down, the water will do that for you naturally.

Pro mix hp directions on the back label specifically say do NOT pack.

Cookoo4Coco

Cookoo4Coco

Pro mix hp directions on the back label specifically say do NOT pack.

Thats kind of funny to me. If i was transplanting a clone and i just stuck it in dry unpacked promix my experiance is that when you water it in it will tip over. So much easier to pack it in a bit, pre-water and then transplant. Rather than fuss around trying to get the plant to stay upright. You dont want to be packing it down too hard once theres roots in the mix~!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thats kind of funny to me. If i was transplanting a clone and i just stuck it in dry unpacked promix my experiance is that when you water it in it will tip over. So much easier to pack it in a bit, pre-water and then transplant. Rather than fuss around trying to get the plant to stay upright. You dont want to be packing it down too hard once theres roots in the mix~!

Ok, I've never had that issue, but do what you gotta do to keep them from tipping over.

The directions from the manufacturer specifically say do not pack media around seedlings and clones that are transplanted. That's what I go by, but to each his own.

ArrEll

ArrEll

Ok, I've never had that issue, but do what you gotta do to keep them from tipping over.

The directions from the manufacturer specifically say do not pack media around seedlings and clones that are transplanted. That's what I go by, but to each his own.
I do not "pack" any soil grow. I put my seedlings in and lightly Tamp the soil, with the flat palm (or fingers) of my hand. I make sure not to use all my soil at the time I plant my seedlings - then Add more soil, especially at the edges, a cup at a time, as the soil begins to Settle (which it will). Never "Pack" it around the root ball. It's going to be in there, being watered, for 3-4 months. "Packing" it may result in Compacted soil down the road, and root rot.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

i will be dropping a seed in not transplanting or cloning , and i did not mean i was gonna pack it tight in the pot but gently

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

i will be dropping a seed in not transplanting or cloning , and i did not mean i was gonna pack it tight in the pot but gently

It applies to seedlings and clones. I don't think it will make a huge difference either way, especially if you are very lightly tamping. Goodluck either way.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Yes, you're good. As someone else said, and I have experienced the same thing a few times now, if you dont "pack," these fluffier/ moisture control mediums that contain coir, then when you hydrate the medium, the water wont absorb quickly and just kind of pool on top of the surface.

But I get what you're saying, at least I think I do, because I was wondering the same thing. Now that I have watered a few times and fully saturated the medium, the level has gone down by at least a few inches. I was wondering if I should add some more medium to the pot to make up for the compacted medium, but I think I am going to hold out a few days until I transplant them into FFOF. If this is your case, I would add a little more medium and "pack," it lightly to help support the base of the seedling.

Best of Luck!

Rooting 14a

My Day 14 Ladies! Transplating on Saturday

Latest posts

Top Bottom