When Is It Safe To Plant Outdoors And Avoid Premature Flowering?

• Thread starter Eastsidehigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Eastsidehigh

Hello!

Im worried this season I have started too early. I planted mid April outdoors with just over 13hrs of sunlight. The plants were less than two weeks old when planted. I had them on 24hrs indoors then 18/6 before moving them out. Im currently at 13hrs 40min daylight now. All though the plants show no visible sign of flowering I am wondering if by May they will have tried. It won't be 14hrs daylight till May 7th and from what I have read that's the minimum to prevent flowering. However, searching online I have found others say otherwise. Depending if the plant is sexually mature or clones they would be more likely to flower. Mine were just seedling so I hope im in the clear...

When do you plant outdoors?

Last year I only had a few strains pre maturely flower while others did not. I guess its strain dependent also... I forgot when that was though exactly. Concerned maybe this year I pushed it too soon since the weather was nice. Though I guess its a wait and see kind of thing... Thanks in advance for any insight!

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Little early there bud, closer to 15-16 hrs of light.
Where I live at we don't get over 15 hrs. of sunlight at the summer solstice . All clones for outside are rooted under 15 hours of light. Seedling are a little more forgiving than clones.
My outdoors goes out around june 1 so that gets me 8 weeks of veg outdoors before they start to flower.

william76

william76

Now uv got them out u could flash a light on them for a minute or 2 during their dark period and that will keep them in veg.76

E

Eastsidehigh

Not sure about some of this lingo ???

At most for my area its 14hrs 48min at summer solstice. Ive grown for 5 years so far and only last season had a particular strain pre maturely flower, it was an early finishing strain though too.

I used to keep grow journals or whatever from my first few season but dont have them anymore to check when I usually plant. Nothing is routine with my grows though... The unusually warmer weather just had me thinking put them out soon as possible this go around.

Could be worried over nothing cause all information is contradicting.. Guess its age of plants, strain and your area. I will post what happens sooner or later...

tifosi

tifosi

i have been planting my seeds for years beginning of april no problem.Just using the natural sun light and a heat mat at night,I think your good.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

Not sure about some of this lingo ???

At most for my area its 14hrs 48min at summer solstice. Ive grown for 5 years so far and only last season had a particular strain pre maturely flower, it was an early finishing strain though too.

I used to keep grow journals or whatever from my first few season but dont have them anymore to check when I usually plant. Nothing is routine with my grows though... The unusually warmer weather just had me thinking put them out soon as possible this go around.

Could be worried over nothing cause all information is contradicting.. Guess its age of plants, strain and your area. I will post what happens sooner or later...
I live in Cali and I used to plant mid April every year. U should be ok. I didn't do it this year because weather is still crazy. Rained for 3 days last week and has been on and off overcast/windy. Waiting till mid May this year.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hello!

Im worried this season I have started too early. I planted mid April outdoors with just over 13hrs of sunlight. The plants were less than two weeks old when planted. I had them on 24hrs indoors then 18/6 before moving them out. Im currently at 13hrs 40min daylight now. All though the plants show no visible sign of flowering I am wondering if by May they will have tried. It won't be 14hrs daylight till May 7th and from what I have read that's the minimum to prevent flowering. However, searching online I have found others say otherwise. Depending if the plant is sexually mature or clones they would be more likely to flower. Mine were just seedling so I hope im in the clear...

When do you plant outdoors?

Last year I only had a few strains pre maturely flower while others did not. I guess its strain dependent also... I forgot when that was though exactly. Concerned maybe this year I pushed it too soon since the weather was nice. Though I guess its a wait and see kind of thing... Thanks in advance for any insight!
I know our seeds are fine in a green house April 1.... clones get messed up in april... may 1 is safer for clones.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

If you put them out to early they will try and flower (strain dependent). My experience is give them the best care you can indoors for as long as can. There is no advantage to putting them out early and have them be cold at night, whipped around by unsettled winds. Mid- may to june is when I put out tomatoes , peppers, basil and weed.

E

Eastsidehigh

Well farmers they haven't flowered! Sure im in the clear now.

purpnugz

purpnugz

Had this girl on 18/6 put her out early march and she seems to be still in veg. I guess strain could playa factor as well :speechless:
IMG 1239
IMG 1240
IMG 1242

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
They will flower and re veg unless you slowly lower your light schedule to 16/8 and set them out when your area has 16 hours of usable daylight.

Civil twilight counts as usable daylight for plants

tdarian

tdarian

I'm in the Los Angeles area. Last year I got small plants from geologic (RIP) that he stared outdoors on 2/14/16. They were strong, ended up huge with high yields and began flowering in mid July. This year I started 13 plants on 3/1 - 3/7. The plants are all over the place in terms of size and development with the seeds from last year's grow out of geologic's garden showing the strongest.

I've got 3 BubbaKush X GSC (feminized seeds from logic). 2 are still small and the fastest growing one just started showing flowers.

Will the flowering plant cease flowering with the increased light duration and return to vegetative grpwth, is there anything I should be doing with it to max vegetative growth?

Top Bottom