When is leaf yellowing natural?

• Thread starter Solarscar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Solarscar

Solarscar

Hi fellow farmers. 😊

Growing an 8 week strain and currently in 5 1/2 weeks of flower.

I am curious to know at which week into flowering is yellowing of the lower fan leaves that progress up every couple days, normal to the degree that harvest won’t be affected to negatively?

some say normal and others say more fertilizer is needed. I know there is a balance between the low end of feeding where deficiencies crop up (and likely making it to harvest) and burning your plant (which kills them and unlikely having much of a harvest at all)

my plants are at day 35 into flower and showing yellowing leaves beginning from the bottom. I’m on a 1/2 strength fox farm trio feeding schedule where I’m watering this in about 1 time a week (or every other watering)

any recommendations for this super common issues around the 5 week of flower?

thanks and happy farming 🌲

When is leaf yellowing natural
When is leaf yellowing natural 2
When is leaf yellowing natural 3
When is leaf yellowing natural 4
When is leaf yellowing natural 5
Philart

Philart

Hi fellow farmers. 😊

Growing an 8 week strain and currently in 5 1/2 weeks of flower.

I am curious to know at which week into flowering is yellowing of the lower fan leaves that progress up every couple days, normal to the degree that harvest won’t be affected to negatively?

some say normal and others say more fertilizer is needed. I know there is a balance between the low end of feeding where deficiencies crop up (and likely making it to harvest) and burning your plant (which kills them and unlikely having much of a harvest at all)

my plants are at day 35 into flower and showing yellowing leaves beginning from the bottom. I’m on a 1/2 strength fox farm trio feeding schedule where I’m watering this in about 1 time a week (or every other watering)

any recommendations for this super common issues around the 5 week of flower?

thanks and happy farming 🌲
I'd say those plants look pretty good to me. I grow in a personal compost based mix, it starts off very nitrogenous and I don't add anything apart from a molasses tea and occasional epsom salts. I find the lowest leaves which are the oldest, will yellow after a few months and shrivel. Midway through flowering the plant naturally grabs nitrogen from the leaves so that by harvest time all but the sugar leaves and a few younger one's near the top are yellow and dried out.

Solarscar

Solarscar

I'd say those plants look pretty good to me. I grow in a personal compost based mix, it starts off very nitrogenous and I don't add anything apart from a molasses tea and occasional epsom salts. I find the lowest leaves which are the oldest, will yellow after a few months and shrivel. Midway through flowering the plant naturally grabs nitrogen from the leaves so that by harvest time all but the sugar leaves and a few younger one's near the top are yellow and dried out.

This is what I’m gathering as well.
thanks for your comment. 👍

the more fan leaves that yellow and die, the less plucking I gotta do. At this point my thinking is to continue with 0 nitrogen and maybe a couple more pk feedings then I’m gonna let her ride. 🌲🥳

Krispy420

Krispy420

Hey this thread is a interesting question and something I've been thinking about a little bit the last few days as my plants have been yellowing what seems to be a bit early and excessive in my first indoor grow. I have very limited experience but I'll share some of my thoughts and include a couple plants from my first outdoor plants as an example.

I think generally speaking this is a complex discussion with not only a lot of factors involved, but alot of preference and opinion as well. It seems as though some people like to see a heavy fade on their plants by harvest to the point they look damn near dead and on their way to drying already and others like to keep them nice and green the whole way through. I'm kinda in the middle, I think generally if the plant is fading (apart from a self imposed flush) then it is ultimately saying something isn't quite right.

here's one of my outdoor plants. In a case like this I think the yellowing was fairly "natural" I trimmed it a couple times but just couldn't keep up with it and it had gotten too bushy and as a result i think some of the lower growth was being shaded and couldn't photosynthesize properly. Maybe a slight nitrogen deficiency too?? but apart from that the plant looked really happy.
20210925 121750

---
here's a different one of my out door plants where the yellowing looked alot less natural and plant looked less happy and more nectrotic. very obvious signs of patassium deficiency (as well as other probably) and had already spread throughout the whole plant all the way to the top. plant looked sickly and was quickly on it's way out sooner than I wanted.
20210925 111108

Krispy420

Krispy420

And then of course there genetic factors, some plants naturally want to fade more than others, and temperature factors as well. I think I would consider fading from temperature dropping to be natural. In most climates it will do that as the season ends to a certain degree. The list; and this conversation could go on and on really...

Solarscar

Solarscar

Just wanted to pop in to this thread to give an update. Someone may find this useful in the future right?

I waited for my pots to dry out completely (4 days from water) as I had previously flushed them with ph’ed water with a tad of epsoms (1/2 teaspoons per gallon).

I watered them again 24 hrs ago with PH’ed water to 6.6 and supplemented with cal-mag at 3/4 strength and 1/2 strength tiger bloom and 3/4 strength big bloom. I will feed one more time next week with 3/4 strength big bloom and cal-mag at 1/2 strength then switch to ph’ed water only for the remaining weeks.

I have been running this grow with nothing but ph’ed tap water and the fox farm trio (at 1/4 to 1/3 strength) up until I added some epsoms and cal-mag

I really didn’t want to add excessive nitrogen, but figured since the cal-mag has some in there and also the fox farm trio (using week 8 according to there trio feed schedule) that it wouldn’t hurt. I try to run them with love by breathing on them, not force feeding so much.

So the yellowing of my leaves from the bottom up would spread to a new leaf every day or so. I started week 6 of flower yesterday (from flip) so this yellowing is totally normal. Apparently these plants shut off any external sources of nitrogen and begin to modulate it better by using the amount needed from their own fan leaves. I’m not trying to win any cannabis cups or photo shoots so yellowing ain’t a big deal. I want quality home grown for me and my peeps. 🥳

snapped these a couple hours ago.

2CF85C4C D2ED 4EBF 8620 3D6EAECB0E95
5DCBEAC9 30F6 4B52 9980 45B39843B5D5
2B5BB203 1E64 4077 8463 9F1D94FC9813
BB65B9F6 31ED 47AA 8159 7EEC1EA1104B
Last edited:
WeirdWhitey

WeirdWhitey

Hey this thread is a interesting question and something I've been thinking about a little bit the last few days as my plants have been yellowing what seems to be a bit early and excessive in my first indoor grow. I have very limited experience but I'll share some of my thoughts and include a couple plants from my first outdoor plants as an example.

I think generally speaking this is a complex discussion with not only a lot of factors involved, but alot of preference and opinion as well. It seems as though some people like to see a heavy fade on their plants by harvest to the point they look damn near dead and on their way to drying already and others like to keep them nice and green the whole way through. I'm kinda in the middle, I think generally if the plant is fading (apart from a self imposed flush) then it is ultimately saying something isn't quite right.

here's one of my outdoor plants. In a case like this I think the yellowing was fairly "natural" I trimmed it a couple times but just couldn't keep up with it and it had gotten too bushy and as a result i think some of the lower growth was being shaded and couldn't photosynthesize properly. Maybe a slight nitrogen deficiency too?? but apart from that the plant looked really happy.
View attachment 1202696
---
here's a different one of my out door plants where the yellowing looked alot less natural and plant looked less happy and more nectrotic. very obvious signs of patassium deficiency (as well as other probably) and had already spread throughout the whole plant all the way to the top. plant looked sickly and was quickly on it's way out sooner than I wanted.
View attachment 1202698
Lol your first pic looks like some giant Jim Henson weed monster. Maybe I’m high. Beautiful though!

Choppr

Choppr

I think most gardeners have seen this, yes it is common, alot of Us too, will stop grow feed and will start with bloom feeds to early (at pre flower) prior to the stretch, stretch is the last and biggest push of the Veg cycle, so after the stretch she will have depleted all of her "N" and start pulling whats in the leaves (usually older fat fans 1st.) This also happens and is common in her hungriest weeks 4/5, if she doesnt have everything she needs in her soil/mediums she will cannabalize herself,and be deficient, spotty etc, unfortunately by then its too late and we take what we get, if we start playing mad scientist with the nute bottles it can go badly. its the balancing act, that balance is the goal. (some strains are jus needy and some low maintenence) lol. your girls look good - rock on, and start planning the next garden event right -

oLd1

oLd1

Autos will naturally yellow about time they are ready. I had one yellowing from the start. I was worried about it but finished it was loaded with Buds.

Before they fall off go ahead and pluck them off.

oLd1

Top Bottom