When is the best pollination window for Indicas

• Thread starter Canalchemist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Hey there folks it has been a while,

I am planning a project in which I will be making some seeds from pure indica parents, I heard Subcool saying there is a window or a sweet spot during flower when it is most beneficial to pollinate for maximum quantity of seed, I think he said 21 to 29 days into the flowering of pure indica genetics, and that the males should be started 5 days ahead of time.

Anyhow I would like for anyone to chime in on this topic if they have experience with the "window" of time for pollinating Indicas for maximum quantity of seeds.

Thanks friends

JAWS

JAWS

Hey there folks it has been a while,

I am planning a project in which I will be making some seeds from pure indica parents, I heard Subcool saying there is a window or a sweet spot during flower when it is most beneficial to pollinate for maximum quantity of seed, I think he said 21 to 29 days into the flowering of pure indica genetics, and that the males should be started 5 days ahead of time.

Anyhow I would like for anyone to chime in on this topic if they have experience with the "window" of time for pollinating Indicas for maximum quantity of seeds.

Thanks friends

correct weeks 3 through 4.

have fun;)

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Very nice thanks folks, from what I understand about Sativas you have to wait for the maturity of the plant before adjusting the photoperiod to get the best seed quality but that is it as far as I know about Sativas. I have quit a few strains in my bank now and if I don't start making seeds soon I fear they will soon be garbage.

Thanks again

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

good thread. i dont know much about growing non feminized beans.......is it possible for a hidden male to pollinate a bunch of females before this 21 days - 29 day window?

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

damn, i always thought the flower had to be atleast 2 weeks old before she can get knocked up!!

420circuit

420circuit

Start the male 5 days earlier? Being new to 'deliberately' making seeds, I just put the breeding couple in the basement bathroom with a 125W CFL after a few weeks veg, and got a reasonable harvest. Sounds like my yield could have been better by keeping the male somewhere else and introducing them at around 25 days.

A good tip was to use a spray bottle of water to wet the plants and the entire area after pollinating, to prevent the pollen from traveling. I waited a couple days, not sure that it was needed, and was able to keep the main garden's virginity intact.:D

Making seeds is a great way to preserve special genetics when you run out of room in the garden. Appreciate tips from people who have worked this out.:D

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I pollinated on 4/20 and another large female 10 days later, harvested some lower buds on both to check the maturity of the seeds and at this point they all look like they are all roughly at that same point in there maturation. Which I am very happy about.

Waiting to the point I did really will maximize the quantity of Mature seeds.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I pollinated this bitch on day 25 bloom.
I just watch how the seeds look on the bud, this is day 40 and they are still green but good development. This branch got heavy and fell over lol.

420circuit

420circuit

Seems like delaying the start of flowering for the male would make sense, to give the female time to build up flowers before hitting with pollen. Maybe a week?

dankninja

dankninja

If you forget to stagger the male flowering, just carefully collect any pollin that is ready before the female is, a film canister or something works. Then you can paint that pollin on at ovulation ~25 days flower with a brush. Pre flowers have given me best results

420circuit

420circuit

I placed the female under flowering light last week and as soon as the small buds start I'll put the male with her in the "isolation room" (basement bathroom) under 125W 12/12 CFLs for about 3 weeks, at least until the pollen mess is done, the male culled and the room sprayed down with a spray bottle of water. I have just done this once so far, left the female in isolation for about 5 days after removing the male, sprayed with clear water a couple times, then return to the flowering room to finish the seeds. 25 days in sounds great, but instead of a brush I am going primitive, just picking up the pollen covered male plant and shake it over the female several times while they are together in isolation. The trick for my arrangement is keeping the pollen away from my garden, so when I always wait to water the breeding pair last and then not return to the garden with the same clothing or watering can. Saw a post that compared pollen to a cloud that drifts around, good description.:D

Calixylon

Calixylon

Great post, I'm trying to get into a little bit of pollen chucking myself this next round, I'm just waiting till I find some killer moms to breed with. Good luck

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Just got 8.8 oz from and Inbred Chocolate Chunk, this one was a little over seeded I open pollinated at 28 days and the soil mix had been messed up by me, forgot to condition the biochar and it sucked up some goodness from the soil :(

DSCF4049

Calixylon

Calixylon

when did you do the pollination, is it from 4/20? do you think you could have waited till later and gained more mass on the flowers? If i can find a good male from this bluedream cross i got from a fellow farmer i may try and chuck some pollen, with his blessing of course.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Sorry for the late reply I was on an expedition :). I should have not waited so long I think I would have preferred maybe 14 days for an open pollination in this case, Some of the larger buds were Rock hard and it deformed some of the seed. This is the first time I have bred this strain. I like it but I could not predict the onset of the huge dense buds. Some of the seeds literally look Pair shaped, they all test germed fine LMAO. I got some real nice seed from the lower buds though. this post is likely late but if I were you I wouldn't wait past 15 days for a fast flowering indica, and a longer wait of course for the Sativas.

Peace man and good luck on the chuck (of pollen) :)

Top Bottom