WHEN SHOULD I SCROG 3 AUTOS

• Thread starter curiousorange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
curiousorange

curiousorange

Hi there,

I've just germinated 3 autos. LSD, Gelato, Strawberry Pie, all from Fast Buds. My questions are as follows:

1. I would like to SCROG them due to height restrictions (140cm), when should I do this? Do I need to time it exactly with the stretch? The plan being to catch the emergence of the buds so that they just poke up above the net?

2. Having researched it, it seems impossible to predict how an auto will take to topping. My plan is to FIM them after three weeks, but if they are healthy and growing well should I just top them a few times? I'd like to play it as safe as possible.

3. Would you recommend gradually stripping them naked beneath the canopy when they're in full flower?

Thanks everyone! I don't really want to do autos but my partner can't handle another six month grow.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Scrip/script. You know.... the instructions on your plan.

I would suggest to NEVER change your plans unless absolutely necessary. Chances are good you thought about it enough to make your plan, but then you have an instant "hold my beer" idea (we all have them). Small adjustments are needed sometimes, but unless it's a radical problem, keep everything on plan.

curiousorange

curiousorange

Scrip/script. You know.... the instructions on your plan.

I would suggest to NEVER change your plans unless absolutely necessary. Chances are good you thought about it enough to make your plan, but then you have an instant "hold my beer" idea (we all have them). Small adjustments are needed sometimes, but unless it's a radical problem, keep everything on plan.
Thanks pal, really appreciate it!

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

I got my screen setup asap after transplanting so I could get used to watering (I hand water like an old man), make sure that if you're growing Indica strains the screen is no higher than 8" above the growing medium.

Also screens can be anywhere from 2"X2" 4"x4", try for smaller if you plan to weave branches into the screen as horizontal growth is slower, otherwise gardening ties work fine.

As for height reduction, top should be at 3 weeks veg, but if you have to top at 2 weeks it works fine too. You can then just weave the plants into the screen as they grow keep in mind they will interfere regardless of what you do.

Pic #1 is the screen above my plants in early veg
20211125 073924

Pic #2 is at 6 weeks veg the day of the flip
20211226 183729

Pic #3 is wk 5 flower
IMG 20220120 194028

curiousorange

curiousorange

I got my screen setup asap after transplanting so I could get used to watering (I hand water like an old man), make sure that if you're growing Indica strains the screen is no higher than 8" above the growing medium.

Also screens can be anywhere from 2"X2" 4"x4", try for smaller if you plan to weave branches into the screen as horizontal growth is slower, otherwise gardening ties work fine.

As for height reduction, top should be at 3 weeks veg, but if you have to top at 2 weeks it works fine too. You can then just weave the plants into the screen as they grow keep in mind they will interfere regardless of what you do.

Pic #1 is the screen above my plants in early vegView attachment 1208684

Pic #2 is at 6 weeks veg the day of the flipView attachment 1208685

Pic #3 is wk 5 flowerView attachment 1208686
Ah hi there! I was just reading your indica

curiousorange

curiousorange

Ah hi there, I was just reading your indica limbo thread with the crazy aggressive guys and all their crazy responses - but that's great advice so thanks a lot. My worry is that because they're autos they'll suffer from the topping. (Sorry about the half post above!)

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

All good!

The point of doing a SCRoG is to increase the overall number of branches and therefore increase the number of top cola producing areas on the plant.

Topping makes the plant transition its focus on growing one main top cola and forces the plant to branch out and create branches that act in the same way as a top cola would.

SCRoG is a method used to try and force stunted lateral growth so the space in between node regions is shortened and the flowering branches that pop out elongate during the flowering process.

In short, topped plants make more branches, branches grow bud, horizontal branches create more space and opportunity for bud sites to develop under light, an even canopy provides equal, or close to, light for the whole top canopy.

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

A note for sativa, depending on strain you might want to start anywhere from 12 -24" depending on total plant height at maturity.

Low flying indicas won't need a trellis but I won't hurt to have one setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom