When Should I Transplant?? - Solo Cups To Pots

• Thread starter HazePhase
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HazePhase

Hello,

It's week 3 and 1 day since they broke ground (St. Paddys Day)
I'm thinks of transplanting them tomorrow into 2 gallon containers for 3 weeks until final home of 15 gallons.

I've also been under 4 philips led 5000k light bulbs for seedling but have a nice 12 cob led array awaiting for when plants are ready.

My questions are:
1. Am I good to transplant yet?
2. When do I switch to more intense light
3. Is it better to transplant when soil is dry or wet as I watered Friday night.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

When should i transplant   solo cups to pots
When should i transplant   solo cups to pots 2
When should i transplant   solo cups to pots 3
When should i transplant   solo cups to pots 4
When should i transplant   solo cups to pots 5
When should i transplant   solo cups to pots 6
jipp

jipp

what kind of soil? reason i asked is what i bought was only good for about 9 days.
i asked the same question.. and best and stupid easy to remember.. if you have to start watering every day, time to transplant.

chris.

H

HazePhase

what kind of soil? reason i asked is what i bought was only good for about 9 days.
i asked the same question.. and best and stupid easy to remember.. if you have to start watering every day, time to transplant.

chris.

In watering every 1.5 days now.
I'm using Clackimus Coots organic no till soil.
My buddies were telling me I should be good to transplant but not sure now cuz others are saying to wait.

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

My best results have always come from disturbing and stressing the roots the fewest times possible. Whenever possible I try to start seeds in the pots I will flower them in. I never go thru the cup step then 1 or 2 gallon pot then move into the final pot. Transplanting is just opening the door for torn roots and odd fungus and bacteria to invade. Less transplants = happier plants. The only exception to this practice is if you have very limited space for growing and are unable to start in the bigger pots. Dont let them get root bound more often than you absolutely have to. Just my opinion.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hello,

It's week 3 and 1 day since they broke ground (St. Paddys Day)
I'm thinks of transplanting them tomorrow into 2 gallon containers for 3 weeks until final home of 15 gallons.

I've also been under 4 philips led 5000k light bulbs for seedling but have a nice 12 cob led array awaiting for when plants are ready.

My questions are:
1. Am I good to transplant yet?
2. When do I switch to more intense light
3. Is it better to transplant when soil is dry or wet as I watered Friday night.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
I would wait until you can let the soil dry out a bit then pop one to see if they are robust and filling the cup. What you don't want is to become rootbound. That stresses the plant along with the subsequent transplant.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
My best results have always come from disturbing and stressing the roots the fewest times possible. Whenever possible I try to start seeds in the pots I will flower them in. I never go thru the cup step then 1 or 2 gallon pot then move into the final pot. Transplanting is just opening the door for torn roots and odd fungus and bacteria to invade. Less transplants = happier plants. The only exception to this practice is if you have very limited space for growing and are unable to start in the bigger pots. Dont let them get root bound more often than you absolutely have to. Just my opinion.
I agree with what your sayn. I have had several runs where I just go straight to final flower container and they really like that. pop em and germ them in their final shoes. ;):smoking:

H

HazePhase

M

Thanks this is my first grow and there is two reasons I am doing the 2 gallon and then to 15 gallon.
1. I needed to make more soil as I decided to grow two extra for mothers.
2. I was told by a buddy who's been doing it awhile that it would give them a growth spurt.

Feedback?
Thx friends

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

It only appears to give a growth spurt because you stunt the growth of the plants by slowing them down in the transplanting process. Additionally it appears this way because they will stop growing each time they are transferred because of the damage to the root system caused by transplanting and the stress recovery time.

On a side note you must be planning to grow some real monster plants in 15 gallon pots.

H

HazePhase

It only appears to give a growth spurt because you stunt the growth of the plants by slowing them down in the transplanting process. Additionally it appears this way because they will stop growing each time they are transferred because of the damage to the root system caused by transplanting and the stress recovery time.

On a side note you must be planning to grow some real monster plants in 15 gallon pots.

I mentioned shock and he said benefit out weighs negative.
However I needed to so it is what it is :) I like making things hard apparently haha

Going to be vegging for 2 months and then flowering for 8-10 weeks.
Doing SCROG each has its own SCROGCO.

Two of my plants will be moved into 20 gallons as they will veg for 4 months and then I'll take 15 -20 clones and then flower them.

That's the plan anyways
Have the clone king 36

IMG 0088
IMG 0089
Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

Just sharing my personal experience from past grows. I ran 7 gallon pots with about an 8 week veg cycle when running super crop plants. If you do some research you will find a lot more experienced and big growers are with me on transplanting as little as possible. I always want to think my friends give the best info. I learned in growing the best info is the best info regardless of what friends may say. I have only been growing since 09 however and lots of guys have more experience than I do. When I started learning I spent 6 months reading books and watching videos, and visiting ever grow I could get access to. All before I ever purchased a light a pot or a seed. In the long run your plants will be fine. I just wanted to give you some advice for the future if your going to make a habit of seeds or clones transplant as little as possible for best overall results.

On a new note. I had that cloner once upon a time. I want to warn you the pump in that bad boy has a tendency to overheat the water. Buy one of those pool or aquarium thermometers that just stay in the water. I had to constantly keep a 1 liter bottle of frozen water in the water to keep the temp under control. My primary strains liked cooler water to clone in. (Jack Herer and Querkle) in the long run I retro fitted the bottom tank with one that held about 15 gallons of water and sat right on the concrete floor to fix the heat issue without having to babysit.

H

HazePhase

sweet fish tank :)

chris.

Thanks that the home of Rango - our snake - above him is another one same size with all real growth moss and plants with two water trays that we tried to make look natural and that's for Dumpy our Dumpy tree frog.

:)
Cheers!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I mentioned shock and he said benefit out weighs negative.
However I needed to so it is what it is :) I like making things hard apparently haha

Going to be vegging for 2 months and then flowering for 8-10 weeks.
Doing SCROG each has its own SCROGCO.

Two of my plants will be moved into 20 gallons as they will veg for 4 months and then I'll take 15 -20 clones and then flower them.

That's the plan anyways
Have the clone king 36

I have 6 of these cloners. Beware! The collars do NOT fit well in the cups. You have to force, and I mean force them into the net pot. Causing the stems to snap. I had to drill and widen out 150 holes, buy new net pots and collars in order for it to work. They use the cheapest net pots, it found in most Hydro stores.

I have 120 net pots and 150 collars FREE. Can only be used with this aero cloner due to the size of the net pot holes.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Don't get me wrong, they work great. If I can find the type of white material they use, I can make my own for Hella cheaper.

H

HazePhase

I have 6 of these cloners. Beware! The collars do NOT fit well in the cups. You have to force, and I mean force them into the net pot. Causing the stems to snap. I had to drill and widen out 150 holes, buy new net pots and collars in order for it to work. They use the cheapest net pots, it found in most Hydro stores.

I have 120 net pots and 150 collars FREE. Can only be used with this aero cloner due to the size of the net pot holes.

I have plugs not net pots since I'm growing in soil.
The clone king 25 came with net pots the 36 was plugs which is why I bought them.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

36 site crowds the cutting too much. Reason why I bought th 25 site.

Top Bottom