When should i transport my plants this is them now

• Thread starter Blickmorant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Rule of thumb is when the leaves start touching the rim of the solo cup its time. You could wait a bit longer on them, I would. Just to let them get a bit root bound, a denser root ball. Which will help the soil stay compact. Wet them a bit them wait an hour or two and cut away the solo cup with a pair of safety scissor. If you fuck up, do not worry. I've fumbled whole seedlings out of solo cups, had the root ball break open and go everywhere and they still were okay just stunted. Put your solo cup in your 5 gal and fill around it with soil and bam perfect transplant hole. Add some castings or kelp it something for a boost

B

Blickmorant

Rule of thumb is when the leaves start touching the rim of the solo cup its time. You could wait a bit longer on them, I would. Just to let them get a bit root bound, a denser root ball. Which will help the soil stay compact. Wet them a bit them wait an hour or two and cut away the solo cup with a pair of safety scissor. If you fuck up, do not worry. I've fumbled whole seedlings out of solo cups, had the root ball break open and go everywhere and they still were okay just stunted. Put your solo cup in your 5 gal and fill around it with soil and bam perfect transplant hole. Add some castings or kelp it something for a boost
So like probably thus weekend I should? Or sooner based on the picture, and once I put them in there how much should I water

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

So like probably thus weekend I should? Or sooner based on the picture, and once I put them in there how much should I water
I would throughoughly wet the new pot of soil then place your solo cup inside the new 5 gallon so you have a preformed hole for your seedling. Yeah anytime within the next week you'll be good. I've kept seedlings in solo cups for over a month. They get pissy and root bound but its not a big deal.

B

Blickmorant

Why would ones leaf start twisting is that signs of root bound?

B

Blickmorant

Why would ones leaf start twisting is that signs of root bound?

I would throughoughly wet the new pot of soil then place your solo cup inside the new 5 gallon so you have a preformed hole for your seedling. Yeah anytime within the next week you'll be good. I've kept seedlings in solo cups for over a month. They get pissy and root bound but its not a big deal.
20240430 164720

C

chronic2

Their root system grow fast in that cup. I'd plant them in ground/big barrel, and keep an eye on them because they tend to go into shock, wilt some, then comeback to health. Water after transfer. Just my experience.

B

Blickmorant

When should I water before or after transplant

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Just trying to Figure out when I should transport into five gallom fabric pot
There are various opinions about that. Many will recommend two transplants. The next would be to an intermediate pot of a gallon or so, and then a final transplant into the pot the plant will finish in. Proponents of the two-transplant method say that the plant grows faster. If transplanted directly to a large pot, there will initially be more root development, but perhaps slower vegetative growth.

The soil in the larger pot should be about the same moisture as the smaller pot. Otherwise, capillary action could create stress for the plant. The soil temperatures should also be similar.

By the way, I wish your autocorrect would use the word "transplant" instead of "transport". When I see "transport" I think of Star Trek. ๐Ÿ˜

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I usually add a little water between the old and new soil. If the soil in both pots is about the same moisture, then not much is needed immediately.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
By the way, I wish your autocorrect would use the word "transplant" instead of "transport". When I see "transport" I think of Star Trek. ๐Ÿ˜
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ–– I literally just found the Star Trek hand this morning looking for something else!! Perfect : )

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

You mean for a actual watering? If she's thirsty water her. If your transplanting water it enough to help it slide out of that solo cup. If the root ball is not bound tightly and you don't water most of that dirt is gonna well... its gonna become dirt on your floor and not on the root ball. Hence wetting. Hence letting them stay in the solo cups a bit longer if your not sure. You can always cut away that solo cup with scissors just be careful. Cutting the root ball won't hurt anything and some people cut the bottom portion off (like the last eight of an inch) to help her grow new roots but I digress. I am a supporter of red solo cup starts and transplanting.

Top Bottom