When should particular methods be used for strain stabilization?

• Thread starter Moatsy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Moatsy

I am currently selecting my preferred pheno from a pack of cherry bang bang. I'm looking to cross this with a Humboldt seed company blueberry muffin. My question pertains to stabilization. I understand my options are selfing, in-breeding, and back-crossing... What constitutes which stabilization method?

Or better yet, can these be used in combination with one another?
Example: can I create an S1 out of my preferred pheno, inbreed the offspring after another pheno hunt and then back cross to a clone of the original mother?...

What does stabilization look like with terpene profiles being the overall goal with thing like THC percentages being a worry down the line?

Z

Zill

Moat,

Since cannabis is a dioecious plant back crossing isn’t an option. Unless you have pre sexed plants growing next to one another. Backcrossing may be the only way to bring recessive genes to the fore. S1 seeds are self seeds, depending on your patience you can certainly do the S1 crossed with other plants to gain more or maintain desirable traits.

Seems like a lot of work. The problem with any cultivar are the effects growing conditions have on the final cannabinoid and terpenoid that may cloud the genetics.

Zill.

M

Moatsy

Moat,

Since cannabis is a dioecious plant back crossing isn’t an option. Unless you have pre sexed plants growing next to one another. Backcrossing may be the only way to bring recessive genes to the fore. S1 seeds are self seeds, depending on your patience you can certainly do the S1 crossed with other plants to gain more or maintain desirable traits.

Seems like a lot of work. The problem with any cultivar are the effects growing conditions have on the final cannabinoid and terpenoid that may cloud the genetics.

Zill.
Thanks you, zill. I will do the S1 cross. One more thing. How do you go about choosing which strain to make the mother and which one to do the reversal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom