When To Change Dwc Reservoir?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

I bet dollars to donuts you googled and copied almost every bit of that.but im.glad to have read it.now I know I can just mix my solutions to 4000 ppm and throw everything under the sink in my buckets and the plants will only eat what they need.who da thunk it.fuk man this is good news.and to think I been not flushing my res all this time.ill start flushing right away and hope to get better plants

S

Shawnery

This is something that confuses me about plants or cannabis if they're really that different.

No matter how much nutes you put in, I understand it makes a difference, the plant doesn't absorb it all at once. If you put in way to much or way to little you see a difference in the plant but it didn't use it all.

Won't confuses me is how the plant absorbs only the amount of nutes it needs per day even though more is available. Yet if you put in to little you will start to see deficiencies or to much and you see burn and so on but it still isn't consuming it all.

If a plant can consume only what it needs when given the right dose than what causes the issues seen when we over or under feed them?

H

heisen

Hi there all undercover PhD Agronomists,

I'll rephrase what I meant by "nutrients going out of whack if you don't change your res" to be more technical for all that want to get more in-depth info and didn't like my PG-13 version.

Plants indeed do not eat what they want to eat, the plasmodesmata works a little more complicated than that. Nutrient absorption in plants works via osmosis, polarity, and ion exchanges. And they do, mostly eat, what we give them. BUT NOT NECESSARILY in the ratio that we give it to them. For example, if somehow you had a nutrient solution that had 10-10-20 NPK, plus 5 Ca, 5 Mg, and 5 S, and 1% Fe (JUST AN EXAMPLE MIX). It doesn't necessarily mean that your plant will be absorbing everything exactly how you are giving it to them and in that ratio, Why? because ions do not freely exist in the world, elements exist only as molecules to find equilibrium. Some molecules are easier broken by plants than others are. For example, the plant will more easily consume Nitrogen if the raw ingredient was Calcium Nitrate than if the raw ingredient was Urea. It takes longer for the plant to turn urea into absorbable nitrogen than it does when it is already in a nitrate form.

Also, every strand has a slightly different metabolism and nutrient companies make GENERALIZED formulas with different chelator molecules like EDTA and DTPA, fulvics and a variety of plant extracts such as yucca that further aide in faster absorption of SOME elements like iron, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorous; but not others like nitrogen and potassium.

So, when I gave you all the PG version I was wrong to do that and I should have written this long ass essay about it. But when you say that ALL PLANTS eat/consume equal amounts of the ingredients found inside of the bottles just because you are feeding it to them - you are even wronger. They indeed don't chose, WE DO IT for them by feeding them the nutrients; and in turn, the nutrients themselves send the entire solution out of whack after about two weeks. The plants by far will also consume way more water than they do the nutrients dissolved in it, this means that the concentration of solute to the solvent will increase (the TDS will increase), making the solute go further off track; Calcium will bind to sulfur making Calcium Sulfate, Iron will attract to Sulfur making Iron (III) Sulfate, and the Carbon from most of the plant extracts that are sure to be found in all of these nutrients will make Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate - all of which are either insoluble or very difficult for plants to breakdown and consume.

SOLUTION: Change the res every 2 weeks for optimal nutrient delivery and add pH'ed water frequently to your res to avoid these molecules from binding; unless you are an undercover PhD Agronomist like heisenbubble.
For you to say the concentrates of solvents will increase per using a TDS is wrong.anyone who has actually grown in hydro knows if you do not put back what was consumed by the plants the ec will always drop guaranteed.you originally said the balance of NPK will get out of wack because the plant might drink more N than anything.dont try and back peddle and come back with some bs essay brother.you meant what u said.
We put more P and K in our systems in flower because our stupid plants don't know what is what.they consume what is in the buckets at whatever rate we make available from environmental conditions.this is not some bullshit I just googled.this is from real world experience and my photos are the proof in the pudding.res change outs are a wast of time and money.

H

heisen

This is something that confuses me about plants or cannabis if they're really that different.

No matter how much nutes you put in, I understand it makes a difference, the plant doesn't absorb it all at once. If you put in way to much or way to little you see a difference in the plant but it didn't use it all.

Won't confuses me is how the plant absorbs only the amount of nutes it needs per day even though more is available. Yet if you put in to little you will start to see deficiencies or to much and you see burn and so on but it still isn't consuming it all.

If a plant can consume only what it needs when given the right dose than what causes the issues seen when we over or under feed them?
Cause this dude don't know what the fuck he's talking about.a plant is like a dog.feed it to much and it throws up.they don't have an off switch unless the lights are out.as long as the stematas are open and the plant is photosenthisizing it is eating nutrients from the soil or water.
Soil and coco growers don't change there fukin dirt every 2 weeks so wht do we have to change hydro.if I had fucked up ugly plants than I would change my buckets.but unroll than I will continue to grow with less changeouts

S

Shawnery

I didn't mean in reference to anyone else I just mean in reference to the question.

Whether you feed it to much or to little it can only consume so much for minute or hour, what ever period of time you use as a reference.

Like I said, it doesn't consume it all at once, it consumes it over time.

I guess my question is do the deficiencies or over fertilization cause issues directly with the roots which I'm turn effects the plant or exactly how does to much or to little hurt the plant.

Not what it does but how the process is actually achieved?

S

Shawnery

For instance, when my nutes are perfect(my perfect), if I don't add water my ppm or ec stays the same each day. This means that my plants are consuming just the right amount of water and nutes. Why does adding to much or to little change this?

H

heisen

Humidity temp and light effect how much a plant absorbs.the nutrient is mixed in the solution.its smart particles is what is consumed by the rate at which how much light the the plant recieves.higher heat will increase the plants uptake also.think of the environment as the plants gas pedal.thats why gokd growers grow good shit cause they can tune the plants environment with how much nutrient solution is available.this is not nuclear fusion it's mostly common sense.when your around your plants long enough they speak to u

H

heisen

For instance, when my nutes are perfect(my perfect), if I don't add water my ppm or ec stays the same each day. This means that my plants are consuming just the right amount of water and nutes. Why does adding to much or to little change this?
Because the plants are absorbing the nutrients with the water.this is why they tell you not to mix nutes directly because it will harden them.and make them not absorbable to the plant causing lockout.the nutrients are broken down to a microscopic level.this is why floralicious+ is good shit cause the humic acids can break down the solution even more and make a greater range of the mix more available

S

Shawnery

You still didn't answer my question. All you did was explain things and ideas.

How does a plant go from consuming the right amount over time when feed the right amount at once but when given to much or to little all the sudden the plants ability to control uptake diminishes.

H

heisen

How does a plant go from consuming the right amount over time when feed the right amount at once but when given to much or to little all the sudden the plants ability to control uptake diminishes.
I think I already explained it and I'm not even sure what your asking me.the plant is still absorbing the nutrients at the same rate.if you increase the nutes it will be absorbing a higher amount of nutes because the ppm is higher.this will burn your plants.
If it's to low the rate at which the plants absorb stays the same but they are getting less to keep up with sugar production and leaf growth so they steal the nutrients from within themselves to support new growth.this is why we get spots and shit.

I use a top.off res and I know how much my plants drink a day down to the oz.the only thing that change there rate of intake is temperature and light.cutbthe lights off for a week and they will drink hardly nothing.lower the temp to 56 and they will drink hardly nothing.raise the.temp.to 100 and they will drink it all.
The rate doesn't change only the available nutrients we add changes.

B

Budking

Hi all

After reading all this on resivour change. I'm on my first hydro grow.. Going well atm.

Just need help/advice on if Im not to change res (havnt changed) Have been advised to change but reading what Heisenbubble sais about not needing to and waste of money!

I first put in Rhizotonic and silicon then put my nutes to desired ec/ppm..I was told just to top up with just nutes to get my ec/ppm to where needed if lowered etc intill res change. Then put everything back in new water.. rhizotonic/silicon again then nutes.

My issue is if go with no res change do I add everything in first as I've done, then top up with nutes accordingly throughout whole grow or when topping with water to get res level back up do I add more rhizo and silicon to how much water I put in?

Also if it changes anything I'm in run ti waste no recirculating

Thanks for any info appreciate it

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

PH, and light source. If you're not gonna ph your shit might as well get out the game. I hate it when people say they don't do that shit. So basically I take it as a grower is OK if their ph drops to goddam 2.5, 8.9 or whatever random ass numbers it's fuckin retarded. Those elements aren't gonna b consumed by the plant properly if you don't ph ESPECIALLy in hydro. Everyone's seen the charts, it's facts, so why don't people PH their shit so the plants can uptake nutes properly? I think people's ego is way too hot when they ignore this. Also light source is HUGE, someone like me who uses 4 300 watt leds should NoT be boosting their ppms up to 800,900 and up that's nonsense. How much you feed depends on light source, I push 250 to 300 ppms in veg, 450 max in bloom. ive legit read tons of peoples facts, opinions etc and it's not about "what works for you" it's about dialing in shit down to a damn T. Ppms, ph, light source, air circulation, you can't learn this shit off one grow and maybe not even after your first ten to twenty grows. This is a great thread to be having a discussion like this for sure.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Hi all

After reading all this on resivour change. I'm on my first hydro grow.. Going well atm.

Just need help/advice on if Im not to change res (havnt changed) Have been advised to change but reading what Heisenbubble sais about not needing to and waste of money!

I first put in Rhizotonic and silicon then put my nutes to desired ec/ppm..I was told just to top up with just nutes to get my ec/ppm to where needed if lowered etc intill res change. Then put everything back in new water.. rhizotonic/silicon again then nutes.

My issue is if go with no res change do I add everything in first as I've done, then top up with nutes accordingly throughout whole grow or when topping with water to get res level back up do I add more rhizo and silicon to how much water I put in?

Also if it changes anything I'm in run ti waste no recirculating

Thanks for any info appreciate it
Hell yeah dude put that cash in your back pocket, I don't have recirculating and I change my bucket only to flush with two weeks left (plain water ph'd) with two weeks left. Guess it's not a legit "flush" but I deprive the damn things at 7 to 7.5 weeks from everything and make those buds work with what they got!

B

Budking

Thanks people. Yeah I'm going to leave the changing then. Better in back pocket as they say! Ha intill flush that will be it!

My problem is.... At the start from filling my res at start of grow I put all my additives in, then nutes then ph'd. Done!

Then obviously add nutes to when needed from plants telling me from run off and ph'd (checked everyday) I was told to top up just nutes no additives intill res change!

As I'm not going to change res do I still just top up with nutes all threw grow or add additives aswell with nutes when topping up? as my thinking is with additives only being added at Start and would they dilute down through the grow?

E.g the silicon dosage is 1mm per litre so if top up res with 10l water do I add 10mm of silicon.. Or just stick to the nutes?

Sorry for going on hope can understand me? Lol
Thanks

S

Shawnery

I would change out your solution just for the flowering phase. I have to admit there were a few variables with my first grow. I do believe that not changing out the solution when switching to flowering really screwed up my plants though.

I meant to switch it out for flowering but just forgot. I have memory issues from an accident racing motorcycles. When I should have switched I started to get tip burn from what I think was to much nitrogen? I got root look out or I think I did and my plants stopped drinking or eating. I tried to fix the problem but nothing I did helped.

Maybe I'm wrong about the not switching out the solution being the cause but it's the only thing that perfectly coincided with the decline in plant health.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Thanks people. Yeah I'm going to leave the changing then. Better in back pocket as they say! Ha intill flush that will be it!

My problem is.... At the start from filling my res at start of grow I put all my additives in, then nutes then ph'd. Done!

Then obviously add nutes to when needed from plants telling me from run off and ph'd (checked everyday) I was told to top up just nutes no additives intill res change!

As I'm not going to change res do I still just top up with nutes all threw grow or add additives aswell with nutes when topping up? as my thinking is with additives only being added at Start and would they dilute down through the grow?

E.g the silicon dosage is 1mm per litre so if top up res with 10l water do I add 10mm of silicon.. Or just stick to the nutes?

Sorry for going on hope can understand me? Lol
Thanks
Already tried this before, I used to change out midweek 5 and 6 to really hit the plant with PK but honestly I see no difference. most certainly won't hurt anything. But now when I need additives I just add additives

j wizzle

j wizzle

I change out my res from veg to flower, and then to flush. almost never do an entire res swap unless I run into an issue like a bad pump or something where I have a major leak and I have to fix something, which is very rare. for the most part I just add water and nutes at the ratio I need to keep the ppms at the level I need them to be at. been doing RDWC for years now, GH 3 part, calmag thoughout, add hammerhead in bloom MOAB to finish. Simple, no need for all this extra stuff. Just keep temps correct and its all good. I used to swap out entire res every 10 days or so, stopped doing it years ago, runs just got better and better the more I focused on environment, costs went down as I didn't waste as much

Swaggerdude

Swaggerdude

I've got a ten gal DWC system. The plants are almost a month old, growing rapidly. On my last reservoir change, initial ppm was about 980, ppm a week later is 880. Water has a ppm of about 210. I have changed the nutes once since starting, about a week ago. I am running about 80% strength of the manufacturer's recommended maximum veg dose; any stronger and the chem dawg starts throwing some brown tips.

When do y'all change the reservoir? How often, or at some level of ppm decline?

If it matters, I'm running General Hydroponics trio. Been keeping the ph between 5.5 and 5.8.

Pic from two days ago, they are two inches taller today, before tucking into the screen. The plants are growing very rapidly and well.

I used to change the res but after some time, experience and critical thinking i have changed my ways
Im a penny pincher and i hate to put nutes that i pay for down the drain.
i add water and nutes then ph but the important thing to add is a good quality bacteria/fungi tea (thanks cap)
I have moms in a dwc system for 8 months without a water change
veg clones out for 4 weeks then flower for 8-9 more ...no water change
I also have a device i created to throw into the rez that keeps the water healthy
A few friends took notice and now they do the same

Swaggerdude

Swaggerdude

I used to change the res but after some time, experience and critical thinking i have changed my ways
Im a penny pincher and i hate to put nutes that i pay for down the drain.
i add water and nutes then ph but the important thing to add is a good quality bacteria/fungi tea (thanks cap)
I have moms in a dwc system for 8 months without a water change
veg clones out for 4 weeks then flower for 8-9 more ...no water change
I also have a device i created to throw into the rez that keeps the water healthy
A few friends took notice and now they do the same
I forgot to add
Add new water / nutes when the res is half empty

Latest posts

Top Bottom